The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Fixesin
I sat in a mahogany walled room, at a long oak table with oak chairs, there were large windows overlooking the college gardens... Very Cambridge like. Except there was a 42" plasma mounted on a wall and a large speaker surround system on the floor.
That was also where I totally failed the interview... Can't believe i totally forgot about Logs!!!!

Bad times, bad times :emo:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 81
sunspoon
Imperial takes 6 years too :smile:

Ah ok, I stand corrected :smile:.

But still you get your hands on more than just books in the first three years at Imperial!
Reply 82
phoenix90
at my cambridge interview, I sat 2 metres away from the interviewer's dirty laundry pile which was on the floor. :p:

:eek: I can't imagine trying to engage my brain with a bad smell in my nose.
Reply 83
lykastar
Ah ok, I stand corrected :smile:.

But still you get your hands on more than just books in the first three years at Imperial!

Well the Cambridge course still has GP surgery contact once a term or something in the first three years (I'm not entirely sure what it exactly entails, this is the entire sum of my med school application research)
Reply 84
sunspoon
Well the Cambridge course still has GP surgery contact once a term or something in the first three years (I'm not entirely sure what it exactly entails, this is the entire sum of my med school application research)

Yeah, Cambridge is really good, but it's Oxford I was talking about. Sorry for the lack of clarification!
Reply 85
I didn't apply to Cambridge as I didn't like the looks of the Computing course very much, plus I got my application in much later than their deadline. Looks like I'm one of few.
I declined my offer from Cambridge. Which I do not regret.
Reply 87
learner_dancer
I declined my offer from Cambridge. Which I do not regret.

You serious? which college?
Fixesin
You serious? which college?

Yup, Homerton.
Reply 89
learner_dancer
Yup, Homerton.

Oh, only Homerton... why did you apply there anyway :p:
and why did you reject them.
Fixesin
Oh, only Homerton... why did you apply there anyway :p:
and why did you reject them.

I made the stupid mistake of making an open application, so Homerton interviewed, pooled, and accepted me.

As you said, 'only Homerton'- I didn't like it! :biggrin:
Reply 91
learner_dancer
I made the stupid mistake of making an open application, so Homerton interviewed, pooled, and accepted me.

As you said, 'only Homerton'- I didn't like it! :biggrin:

Yea, not a very undergrad friendly college... oh well, Imperial is Da Cool.
Jamil1987
Calm down

Thank you for supplying me with psychological help 11 hours later. Say do you work for the NHS?
Reply 93
Master Polhem
Thank you for supplying me with psychological help 11 hours later. Say do you work for the NHS?

Ha-Ha no i don't.
I'm jobless at the moment.. Do u reckon they have any vacancies lol
billydisco
Oxford
Cambridge
Princeton
Harvard

Imperial
MIT

Notice the difference?

If not, a) dont apply to Imperial b) The first group have alumni in politics and the media, Imperial and MIT don't, therefore its harder for their reputation to exceed the first.

Thats the difference between Imperial and Oxbridge, Oxbridge have had 700 years head start on Imperial. Are they 700 years ahead... no way

haha thanks for the person who neg repped me for that post, did the truth hurt?
Reply 95
c12andn15
This is a ridiculous thread. I really think Imperial and oxbridge are on par.

take Imperials maths course: it requires AAAA and A's in every module. + STEP
Oxbridge normally just offer AAA and a STEP paper

Imperials computing and maths course: A*A*A
Cambridge: A*AA

Everyone is a straight A student at imperial, I know people who choose Imperial over oxbridge and vise versa.

Imperial does have a higher male:female ratio of course it does! Males prefer science in general. In their Biology courses the Female to male ratio is greater!

Don't make assumptions. I did not get straight A's across the board, so maybe I'm not meant to be in Imperial. So shoot me.

Anyways yes, another fellow Cambridge reject, Pembridge. Hated it, would have turn it down, but Cambridge did me a favour and rejected me :smile: Mind you, doing an all nighter does help to kill the concentration.

If anyones think Oxbridge is so worth it, then why don't you take a gap year and try reapply. Since Imperial is only full of crappy rejects anyway.
Reply 96
I was pressured into applying at Cambridge by family/teachers/etc as they all thought I was capable, I quite liked the department but didn't really like the idea of the colleges. In the end I was rejected without interview (they must've really not liked me) and I couldn't be more happy to be going to Imperial. I really wanted to be in London, there's just so much more to do.
Jenkz
Don't make assumptions. I did not get straight A's across the board, so maybe I'm not meant to be in Imperial. So shoot me.

Anyways yes, another fellow Cambridge reject, Pembridge. Hated it, would have turn it down, but Cambridge did me a favour and rejected me :smile: Mind you, doing an all nighter does help to kill the concentration.

If anyones think Oxbridge is so worth it, then why don't you take a gap year and try reapply. Since Imperial is only full of crappy rejects anyway.

You still got 3 A's which is what I meant.. most requirements at Imperial are AAA or higher.
Reply 98
billydisco
haha thanks for the person who neg repped me for that post, did the truth hurt?

Having just read your post, im surprised that only one person -ve rep'd you, whilst posting in the Imperial Forum.

Maybe it's not the fact that the truth hurts, but the attitude you took to getting your point accross? (And, as is proven by the quotation above 'did the truth hurt?'...hardly demands sympathy imo...)

Edit: Actually...re-read your first post...it's not that bad...dunno why you got rep'd.. but 'did the truth hurt' is a bit degrading for imperial tbh..
Reply 99
What this thread shows above anything else is that the undergrads (or soon-to-be undergrads) at possibly the three top unis in the country are unbelievably childish and petty. Oh well.

I'm going to Imperial in a few weeks. I failed to get in to Oxford. I'm not bitter about it, it was my own eff up in the entrance exam! I'm just lucky that places like Imperial, UCL, Durham and Warwick are around meaning it is not an all or nothing for the brightest students in the country.

I dare say there are more talented and clever people each year applying than there are Oxbridge places, some get them some don't. You'll probably like wherever you go, and get a great education, especially at Oxbridge and Imperial.

Latest

Trending

Trending