The Student Room Group

Uni & Diabetes

Has anyone on here got diabetes and at university far away from their parents? I want to go to London (I live in South Wales) and diabetes has never bothered me but last night I gave myself too much insulin and I thought if I did that without my parents I don't know how I'd handle. Thankfully it was the only time I've done it and I doubt I'd ever do it again but I still thought "oh my god I have to deal with this all on my own soon." Just wondering how everyone gets on with it?
I'm not diabetic, but one of my friends at uni is and she's at uni a long way from home.

It's perfectly manageable, especially if you're pretty stable you just need to be prepared and realistic about things and open and honest with people. Things like making contact with the medical services in the area you're going to uni in, making yourself known to the warden or reception/porters in the halls you're moving to and training your friends up a certain extent so they can help you when needed.
Reply 2
Thanks :smile: Has your friend ever had a similar experience? How did she cope?
My boyfriend is diabetic, and while his parents only live an hour away it's still a fair distance in terms of medical emergencies. He's taken too much insulin before (the slow acting stuff), and he managed fine by himself. The thing to do, like Scary Monster says, is let people know about it, and find someone you can call if you need help (there should be a warden/porter in your halls).

Also, it might help to sit down with your parents and talk through possible scenarios and how you might handle them. Also, make sure your parents have contact details for the warden/reception/porters in halls, as in emergencies, you may panic and call them - they can then contact someone who can come and give immediate help.
Over the last 4 years we've been down to the hospital a couple of times, into the GP/practise nurse a couple of times, and had many many many times of bringing up a hypo with coke and crisps.

On the insulin over injection, we grabbed some food and headed down to the local hospital. Yes, if she'd been at home then probably wouldn't have done so, but it works just as well.
Reply 5
Thanks both, definitly going to use your advice =]

Latest