The Student Room Group
This refers to the proportion of graduates that are in employment. 84/100 would indicate that 84% of the university's graduates are in full time jobs.
is there no link to the quality of the jobs held? seems a bit of a poor statistic
Reply 3
'Career prospects' usually refers to the estimated percentage of recent graduates who are in a graduate level job within a certain amount of time after graduation (I can't remember if it's six months or a year).
Reply 4
Ea7
OP
oooo yes i c...infact i thought like u have say but.. seeing the list there is durham in pole position with 84, but for example oxford and cambridge at the end of the list without a score signed....and i found that it wa strange...for this i had doubt. i post here the link if someone is interesting seeing it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-archaeology
candytreeman
is there no link to the quality of the jobs held? seems a bit of a poor statistic

I'm not sure whether university guides take stock of the quality of the jobs graduates take up, or if it's more of a general statistic. I'm more inclined to believe it's the latter, given the time they have to gather the data.
MrShifty
'Career prospects' usually refers to the estimated percentage of recent graduates who are in a graduate level job within a certain amount of time after graduation (I can't remember if it's six months or a year).

You're right, I should have made my reply more accurate :o:
Reply 7
Ea7
oooo yes i c...infact i thought like u have say but.. seeing the list there is durham in pole position with 84, but for example oxford and cambridge at the end of the list without a score signed....and i found that it wa strange...for this i had doubt. i post here the link if someone is interesting seeing it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2009/may/12/university-guide-archaeology

Sometimes universities don't release information or, for some reason, it isn't available. I don't know the exact reason why there are no figures for Oxford and Cambridge. But neither of them offer anthropology as a single subject at undergraduate level (league tables, employment stats in particular, look at undergrad performance and not postgrad) so this makes for a difficult comparison.

To confuse matters further, the Times put Oxford and Cambridge's career prospects at 75% (and Durham fifth at 65%). The definition of a graduate job is, in my opinion, not particularly clear and also slightly outdated. I wouldn't really pay much attention to them. Especially as a postgraduate.
Reply 8
River85
Sometimes universities don't release information or, for some reason, it isn't available. I don't know the exact reason why there are no figures for Oxford and Cambridge. But neither of them offer anthropology as a single subject at undergraduate level (league tables, employment stats in particular, look at undergrad performance and not postgrad) so this makes for a difficult comparison.

It's perhaps also worth mentioning that the statistics can only be based on a relatively small percentage of graduates, i.e. the ones who actually fill in the surveys (which most people don't, of course). I'd imagine sometimes it simply won't be possible to get a big enough sample, especially if the subject is quite small - at Oxford, for example, undergraduates can only take Archaeology as part of two small joint-school courses which produce fifty graduates per year most.
Reply 9
Basically all of these leauge tables are far too shallow and (certainly for my subject area) often just don't tally with common sense. Personally I wouldn't even bother looking at them, there's just so many things that throw them off, they're more likely to make you discount a good uni which you could've really liked.
Reply 10
hobnob
It's perhaps also worth mentioning that the statistics can only be based on a relatively small percentage of graduates, i.e. the ones who actually fill in the surveys (which most people don't, of course).

There's that too, of course. This is also a problem in student satisfaction.

I was a bit suprised when I looked at this year's league tables and saw Aberdeen's poor student satisfaction (in town planning/land management). But I lated discovered only around half of the students who graduated bothered replying to the survey and the sample size was insufficiently small. So only a minority of students felt dissatisfied with the course. The student satisfaction scores suggest it was the majority (or a much larger minority at the very least).

Latest