The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Any Help With 1st Year Module Choices?

Hullo, I've got a place for english, but am struggling with the preadvising stage... As far as I understand I choose 3 modules (or 60 credits worth) for each semester. My problem is that for English there seems to be two modules for the first semester, one of which (reading english or something similar) seems to be a generic module without any specific focus. Am I expected to take both modules? And then can the third be anything else I want?
Thanks to anybody who can enlighten me slightly! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Check if there are prerequisites for either of the modules (like higher or advanced higher). It's possible that one of the modules is a "beginner" course in English. It's also possible that there are antirequisites (eg a B at advanced higher would prevent you from doing an easy module).

It's also possible that there's a choice between the two, or that both modules are offered both semesters so you can take them in either order.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Here are the degree requirements for English: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/engsubh09-10-final.pdf
It looks like you only need to take one English module per semester, but it does look like you have to choose which pair, e.g. you can't do EN1003 and EN1002, it either has to be EN1001 and EN1002 or EN1003 and EN1004. (My flatmate did English and she certainly did only one English module per semester!)
Reply 3
Apparently a prerequisite for Reading English is entry into the part time evening degree programme... Am I supposed to ignore this module then? :P
Reply 4
jonz20
Apparently a prerequisite for Reading English is entry into the part time evening degree programme... Am I supposed to ignore this module then? :P

I would say yes, (is reading English EN1002?) because that isn't down in the course catalogue for subhonours English, in fact I'm 99% sure you're meant to ignore that module and go with the ones in the course catalogue!
Reply 5
I didnt think there was any choice for first year english modules.... Dont you just have to do EN1003 followed by EN1004?
yup, there's no choice; the extras are for part time evening degree people.

And you can choose anything that fits with the timetable; english is, as far as i know at 11am, which rules out geography for example, as it's also at 11 (...bitter mumblings...)but don't worry about it too much; your tutor who sees you at matriculation will set you right.
A question on the clashing thing, in the second semester of first year my Geography (11am) would clash with Stats (MT1007 - also 11am). But it's possible to do a Geo and Stats degree, so how does this work?
i think what happens is that you do first year modules in one subject and second year in another, then in your actual second year you swap around, but you can only do that if you are doing joints honours (like you are :smile: )
Ohhhh XD Well I'm not... I'm just doing Geography (but I really wanted to do Stats and Geoscience with it). I'll just have to find and settle for something else.
Reply 10
Right so I pick an English module, and then I can pick anything else, as long as they don't clash? Or are there certain restrictions, such as crossing between faculties?
Reply 11
You have to stay within the faculty of arts (so no physics for us...) and when you pick your modules you will see if their times clash, so don't worry too much about it.
Reply 12
jonz20
Right so I pick an English module, and then I can pick anything else, as long as they don't clash? Or are there certain restrictions, such as crossing between faculties?

Just make sure that you satisfy the prerequisites, there shouldn't be many for first year first semester modules, some subjects say that you should have certain a-level or highers grades like IR needs AAA and Mod History needs AAB, but its worth checking out which modules you'd like to do in second semester because some subjects require that you take the first semester module before you're allowed to do the second semester module. And even further on, if you're an organised freak like myself, you can check out what you like the look of in second year because again some require that you take both first year modules, other subjects require that you take one first year module, and some second year subjects don't have any prerequisites at all.
Basically its worth checking so you're not disappointed in second semester/year because you didn't do a module.
Ignatius
You have to stay within the faculty of arts (so no physics for us...) and when you pick your modules you will see if their times clash, so don't worry too much about it.

Can you not take anything out of your faculty? If I couldn't do stats then I was planning on Biblical Studies (Faculty of Divinity) as my third subject, but am I going to have to rething again? *sigh*
EmmathePiper
Ohhhh XD Well I'm not... I'm just doing Geography (but I really wanted to do Stats and Geoscience with it). I'll just have to find and settle for something else.

If you're really keen on stats you can do MT1002(the 'introductory' maths module) in 1st semester (9am) and then MT2004(second level stats, worth 30 credits) in 2nd semester (10am) if that doesn't clash with your other choices.
Reply 15
EmmathePiper
Can you not take anything out of your faculty? If I couldn't do stats then I was planning on Biblical Studies (Faculty of Divinity) as my third subject, but am I going to have to rething again? *sigh*

You can do Biblical Studies. Ignatius is wrong.
yes i think he might be wrong as well, my friend did english, history and biology, while i've done geography, history, divinity and sustainable development.
Reply 17
Quick question about the the timetabling thing and what they offer as degree combinations...
My friend applied for and was admitted to do Psychology with Spanish, yet, when she met with her adviser she was told they clashed in the timetable and so she couldn't do it. Thus, her degree was changed there and then to Psychology. I get more annoyed about it than she does when she tells me about it! How can they offer a course and then tell you "oh wait, no, sorry you can't do that!" when you're there? She only came to St Andrews because it was the best university which offered this combo, but in the end, she couldn't do it. I really don't know why I'm rambling or ranting but it actually really annoys me that they did this, and probably still do! End rant.
chester.
Quick question about the the timetabling thing and what they offer as degree combinations...
My friend applied for and was admitted to do Psychology with Spanish, yet, when she met with her adviser she was told they clashed in the timetable and so she couldn't do it. Thus, her degree was changed there and then to Psychology. I get more annoyed about it than she does when she tells me about it! How can they offer a course and then tell you "oh wait, no, sorry you can't do that!" when you're there? She only came to St Andrews because it was the best university which offered this combo, but in the end, she couldn't do it. I really don't know why I'm rambling or ranting but it actually really annoys me that they did this, and probably still do! End rant.

That's awful for your friend. I looked at last year's timetable, and while SP1001 (which is spanish language and texts apparantly) and psychology clash, there was a spanish for beginners module (SP1003) and what looks like Spanish for science students (SP1011) that didn't clash with psychology. Sounds like she was badly advised to me, and if it was me I'd make a complaint!
Reply 19
Murphyen
You can do Biblical Studies. Ignatius is wrong.

It says here that one must apply to a faculty and then pick from a variety of subjects offered to students in that faculty. But some modules are available to more than one faculty, for example Management which is in the Arts and Science. Biblical studies is also offered in the Arts faculty, and not just Divinity. But you have to check which subjects are offered in your faculty.

EmmathePiper

Here is a list of the subjects (scroll down a bit) you can do as a member of the faculty of Science. Biblical Studies isn't there, unfortunately.

Latest

Trending

Trending