The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
TheRabbit
What investigations are people doing?
I'm doing stuff about iron content of foods- although I have no idea really what that entails other than reactions with a dichromate soloution. I need to start thinking of a project I could do for the scottish baccalaureate and biology too.

Scottish baccalaerate? I was going to do that but decided against it, I thought it was a group project or is it an individual project and curiously what kind of investigation does it have to be?
Z_Ahmed
Scottish baccalaerate? I was going to do that but decided against it, I thought it was a group project or is it an individual project and curiously what kind of investigation does it have to be?

Multiple displine project for those doing 2 or more sciences at AH, don't really know what it involved yet just that the project is like an AH investigation but in a little bit more detail with help from university mentors.

Are you doing a chem investigation?
Reply 22
TheRabbit
Multiple displine project for those doing 2 or more sciences at AH, don't really know what it involved yet just that the project is like an AH investigation but in a little bit more detail with help from university mentors.

Are you doing a chem investigation?

Ah, ok. Cool. I've thought of a physics investigation, I've still to think about a chemistry investigation. I guess you need to focus on the area of chemistry which you find the most intriguing for me I guess it's acid/alkali topics and to an extent equilbrium although organic chemistry is quite cool too.
Reply 23
TheRabbit

from what i've been told it's not that similar to an AH investigation and i'm not sure if we're getting university mentors at my school.

i considered it for quite a while but i think i'm going to chuck it as i can't come up with an interesting project and i think i'd prefer to concentrate on my AHs.
Reply 24
C274
Chemistry or chemical physics. Whichever I do, it should be at Glasgow.
I'm doing chemistry as well as advanced maths just to gain experience of the kind of things I'd be doing in first year, but I'm not sure about how things will end up on the unconditional front cos I've only done one science at higher and am doing another this year, and ucas says 2 sciences for both courses. Hey, I can always try.
What you wanting to do?

Im doing adv chem too. Oh and i want to go to glasgow to study chemistry aswell! did you go see the small lecture yesterday? was reaallly good :smile:

anyway back on topic, we're doing the first 1/2 unit and are jumping all over the place in it! just finished semi and super conductors :smile:
Reply 25
I started it but I'm chucking it already. :P Mainly because my school doesn't offer it, so I'm off to college in the evening to do it (as well as AH English, so I'm out 4 nights a week) which is exhausting. Also I find calculation-y (for want of a better word. Or an actual word :p:) subjects difficult, so the lecturer teaching style that it's being taught in doesn't really work for me- I'm completely lost! I don't need the subject anyway, I just wanted to be a smart-arse really :p:
Reply 26
I know there is plenty of time but can anyone give me any ideas for my investigation ?
I've heard that the markers are quite strict about the references - is this true?

Oh and another thing i'm worried about is the marks I could get - My teacher said his past students mainly used to get 13/25 and the highest usually 16/25 - which only one person has got so far. My teacher is an SQA marker so hopefully he will give some tips

Is there any website that has information on PPA's ? I did a Unit 3 PPA at a university last week which I still have to write up. They didn't bother giving any information sheets to take away.
Reply 27
D a v e
Im doing adv chem too. Oh and i want to go to glasgow to study chemistry aswell! did you go see the small lecture yesterday? was reaallly good :smile:

In the Joseph Black building where the guy blew up some balloons? Yeah :smile:
Reply 28
ladyhoot
I started it but I'm chucking it already. :P Mainly because my school doesn't offer it, so I'm off to college in the evening to do it (as well as AH English, so I'm out 4 nights a week) which is exhausting. Also I find calculation-y (for want of a better word. Or an actual word :p:) subjects difficult, so the lecturer teaching style that it's being taught in doesn't really work for me- I'm completely lost! I don't need the subject anyway, I just wanted to be a smart-arse really :p:

You don't happen to be doing it in Cardonald College, do you? Just asking cos that's where I do it :p:
C274
Hi :biggrin:

namedeprived, I'm crashing higher physics this year and am quite regretting not doing it last year. The course looks interesting but I'm not sure I'm gonna do great in it.
Hoping for an unconditional, eek

I crashed Higher Physics in three months in S5 - it was intennnnse!
Reply 30
Yazoo.C
I know there is plenty of time but can anyone give me any ideas for my investigation ?

Depends what area of Chemistry your interested in. Comparisons of two or more substances with some sort of relation is always good. I'm thinking of a chemistry investigation at the moment too, I have a couple of ideas so far.

1. Factors affecting acidic conductivity.

2. Comparison of two different enthalpy of neutralisation reactions with two different reactants.

3. Temperature affecting vitamic c content in oranges. etc.

These are just 3 of the ideas which I've come up with, still continueing to think..
Reply 31
Z_Ahmed
Depends what area of Chemistry your interested in. Comparisons of two or more substances with some sort of relation is always good. I'm thinking of a chemistry investigation at the moment too, I have a couple of ideas so far.

1. Factors affecting acidic conductivity.

2. Comparison of two different enthalpy of neutralisation reactions with two different reactants.

3. Temperature affecting vitamic c content in oranges. etc.

These are just 3 of the ideas which I've come up with, still continueing to think..

You've got some interesting ideas. I like doing experiments with colour changes but not really ones with alcohols.

Are you allowed to do an investigation on the PPA's that were in the higher course? - I enjoyed doing some and might consider doing one for my investigation.
Reply 32
C274
In the Joseph Black building where the guy blew up some balloons? Yeah :smile:

yeah thats the one :smile: good eh? :p:
Reply 33
D a v e
yeah thats the one :smile: good eh? :p:

Indeed :smile:
Is Unit 1 of Advanced chemistry the same standard as the rest of the course, im finding it incredibly easy with pretty simple concepts and very little amount of notes in comparison to say biology. is the first unit any shorter/easier then the rest? im just starting transision metals so pretty much finished the first unit
Reply 35
yeh same finding unit1 easy but i only got a c in higher apparently unit2 is very hard
the third ballon was the best but he didnt say much about what the chemistry course is going to contain
Reply 36
i think that i may do the Synthesis of Biodiesel for my Advanced Higher Chemistry investigation but don't really know how best to do it. If anyone did it before, is it a good investigation or not?
I'm doing AH Chem too! We (myself and about... seven other people) call ourselves the Children of the Atom XD. Cookie if you get the reference.

I was really interested in the Scottish Baccalaureate thing, but my school can't afford the teacher-training course, lol.

As for projects... I was thinking about doing something with metals. I'm interested in metallic chemistry, but I don't really have any ideas.
Reply 38
Right now AH chem is not looking like it will be fun... do you think an investigation on the acidity levels in different drinks would be okay?
Reply 39
stephb28
Right now AH chem is not looking like it will be fun... do you think an investigation on the acidity levels in different drinks would be okay?

Hey that's what I was thinking, I think thats a really good idea. It nicely fits in to the criteria of "Investigation". Since your investigating something and coming up with a conclusion.

Latest

Trending

Trending