The Student Room Group

Disabled benefits?

Hi there :smile:

I'm going to be starting university in 27 days (arrrgh! I'm scared!) and I'm starting to get a bit freaked out about money. I've applied for DSA, and as yet have heard nothing, so I may have to fork out for a new laptop (this one is just about ready to combust as I type). I've applied for DLA and been rejected twice. I don't think that I'm going to be able to have a job while I'm at uni because of my disability (which is undiagnosed as yet.) It is something to do with my hips/knees/ankles and means I struggle to use my legs in most capacities for any length of time, so I'm not going to be able to do any typical student jobs like bar work, shelf stacking etc. Also, I've been recommended the most expensive accommodation because it has the most lifts (so I won't have to use the stairs), is the closest to the city centre and is the closest to where my course will be mainly based. So obviously I'm going to be handing over a lot of my grants and loans in rent!

So really what I'm asking is does anyone know of any benefit I can claim to help me while I'm at uni? Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to scrounge, but it seems to me that since I can't hold down a job due to my disability, I should be able to get some kind of financial assistance from somewhere.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Reply 1
Chloe901
I don't think that I'm going to be able to have a job while I'm at uni because of my disability (which is undiagnosed as yet.)

You will have difficulty with getting approved for DSA if your condition is undiagnosed -- they are awkward with who they deem eligible in normal cases, never mind without an official diagnosis.

Regards accommodation you may still have some difficulty if you do get approved -- depending on the cost of your accommodation you will still be paying for the majority each week as DSA does not cover much of that sort of thing (from memory the general allowance is £1700, and they don't often award the entire amount for a single thing).
Reply 2
TempusV
You will have difficulty with getting approved for DSA if your condition is undiagnosed -- they are awkward with who they deem eligible in normal cases, never mind without an official diagnosis.

Regards accommodation you may still have some difficulty if you do get approved -- depending on the cost of your accommodation you will still be paying for the majority each week as DSA does not cover much of that sort of thing (from memory the general allowance is £1700, and they don't often award the entire amount for a single thing).

I'm in receipt of both DSA and DLA without having a diagnosis... approved without any hassle/appeals etc as well so it is possible!
Reply 3
Have you appealed your DLA decision? Which I'm having to do and it's really annoying me now. :mad:
Reply 4
Chloe901
Hi there :smile:

I'm going to be starting university in 27 days (arrrgh! I'm scared!) and I'm starting to get a bit freaked out about money. I've applied for DSA, and as yet have heard nothing, so I may have to fork out for a new laptop (this one is just about ready to combust as I type). I've applied for DLA and been rejected twice. I don't think that I'm going to be able to have a job while I'm at uni because of my disability (which is undiagnosed as yet.) It is something to do with my hips/knees/ankles and means I struggle to use my legs in most capacities for any length of time, so I'm not going to be able to do any typical student jobs like bar work, shelf stacking etc. Also, I've been recommended the most expensive accommodation because it has the most lifts (so I won't have to use the stairs), is the closest to the city centre and is the closest to where my course will be mainly based. So obviously I'm going to be handing over a lot of my grants and loans in rent!

So really what I'm asking is does anyone know of any benefit I can claim to help me while I'm at uni? Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to scrounge, but it seems to me that since I can't hold down a job due to my disability, I should be able to get some kind of financial assistance from somewhere.

Any ideas? Thanks!

why would this entitle you to a laptop? I'm not being funny but people who get computer equipment under DSA are those that need them to run software related to helping them with their disability eg dragon naturally speaking and inspiration etc.
Reply 5
Have you looked into employment support allowance? (ESA)
Reply 6
The_Goose
why would this entitle you to a laptop? I'm not being funny but people who get computer equipment under DSA are those that need them to run software related to helping them with their disability eg dragon naturally speaking and inspiration etc.

Because there are going to be days when I'm not going to be able to get to my lectures/seminars etc, so I'm going to need something to work on. I don't think a desktop is going to be any good for me because I can't sit in one position for very long so if I'm writing an essay then a laptop will be better because it means I can move and switch positions. Obviously it's going to be up to the assessor, and if they decide that I'm not entitled to one (which they might) then I'm going to have to buy one myself, which is one of the reasons I'm investigating any financial help I might be entitled to.
Reply 7
Titch89
Have you appealed your DLA decision? Which I'm having to do and it's really annoying me now. :mad:

Yeh, and they turned me down again. I think it's because I was misquoted during an occupational therapy assessment, and it's been recorded that I can walk farther than I actually can. I've got more tests and consults coming up soon so I think I'm going to reapply after I've got some more information.

Also, no I haven't looked into ESA, what is it? Thanks!
Reply 8
ESA replaces incapacity benefit - it's paid to people incapable of work.

If you can't get to lectures, they'll just give you a desktop.
Reply 9
Chloe901
Also, I've been recommended the most expensive accommodation because it has the most lifts (so I won't have to use the stairs), is the closest to the city centre and is the closest to where my course will be mainly based. So obviously I'm going to be handing over a lot of my grants and loans in rent!

This seems a little odd too. Lifts can't be relied upon in all circumstances, so surely it would make sense to have ground floor accommodation?

Fairly sure that 'very close to campus' tends to be more justified as a reason for extra costs if you need to go back there during the day.
Just a point, I live about 1.5 miles away from my campus and I was granted taxi fares... that is something that could be looked into instead?
Reply 11
swiftuk
This seems a little odd too. Lifts can't be relied upon in all circumstances, so surely it would make sense to have ground floor accommodation?

I agree. I'm sure (due to DDA) that most or all uni halls also have alternative to steps to enter the building as well.
Reply 12
swiftuk

There is no ground floor accommodation where I want to live (en-suite, self catered), so this was the best they could do. The building has three lifts, so chances are they aren't all going to break down, and even if they do, I'm living on the first floor, so I don't have to walk up that many steps. So I don't mind about the accommodation situation, it's just a bit of a pain in the backside that it's the most expensive.
Reply 13
Chloe901
There is no ground floor accommodation where I want to live (en-suite, self catered), so this was the best they could do. The building has three lifts, so chances are they aren't all going to break down, and even if they do, I'm living on the first floor, so I don't have to walk up that many steps. So I don't mind about the accommodation situation, it's just a bit of a pain in the backside that it's the most expensive.

Lifts generally can't be used in event of fire, so you need to be able to self-evacuate in reasonable time, or you risk being fined (if you say you were 'just' slow), or being moved to ground floor accommodation anyway.

If the ensuite is not disability related, you can't get extra money via DSA for living there.
can i apply dsa if im studying college?
no
Reply 16
I've now been diagnosed. Turns out that from the hips down, I'm built totally wrong. I've got in contact with my university, and I'm going to reapply for DLA. I'm also going to have to let the DSA people know that my circumstances have changed rather significantly. I'm also going to look into ESA.

Thanks everyone!

Latest