The Student Room Group

London Living Expenses

I was wondering if any London students could help me out with my budget for the upcoming year. I'll be doing a postgrad for 12 months at UCL and have never lived or even really spent time in London before. I have my accommodation sorted and after that I'll have about 350 pounds a month in funding. I don't know that'll be enough (works out just under 88 pounds a week) so I need to work out how much more I'll need to borrow/work for. My accommodation is very close to the uni so my travel and lunch costs will be minimal. I will obviously not be splurging this year, but I don't want to be eating beans on toast every day either or skipping meals, and I'd like to have some sort of social life. Could anyone give me an idea of what they spend on:

- Transport
- Groceries (any Lidl/Aldi or similar in the area?)
- Social life (how much are cinema tickets, uni pints, pint in a pub?)
- Toileteries
- Other stuff

How much do you spend in total each month, not counting rent?
Well I've grown up in London so can give you an idea of some of those things.

Transport wise, when you get an Oyster card bus journeys are £1 and a daily bus pass on the card is £3.30 I think, you don't need to ask for one or anything, it just automatically won't take off anymore money. You'll also be able to apply online for a student Oyster card which gives you a lower price cap for travelcards. A single tube journey is £1.60 in zones 1-2.

Cinema tickets would depend on the place but in some cinemas in central I've seen tickets for about £7-10, but if you go to one slightly out of town you'd get better deals. My local cineworld's about £5 with an NUS and does bargain Tuesdays where it's £4 for everybody all day. Pints at my local are about £3, but if there's Wetherspoons around just go to those. Sure there'll be plenty of places doing weeknight student deals too.

I live in Bristol for uni and haven't found a *huge* difference in the price of toiletries or anything like that really. Think rent's just the big main difference.
Re: supermarkets, there aren't any Aldi or Lidl in the area, I'm afraid. There's a Sainsbury's Local near Tottenham Court Road tube and a larger one on Euston Road, not too far from Warren Street. There's a Tesco's on Goodge Street, as well.

Cinema tickets can be pricey, esp in the centre. If you have an Orange mobile, you can get 2 for 1 cinema tickets on Wednesdays, which can save you cash if you go with a mate.
Reply 3
Thanks for the help! How much would you say your monthly outgoings amount to outside of rent?
My outgoings are £300 - 400 a month (I have to pay council tax, something you won't have to)

You should aim to spend £80 a month on food, £70 a month should be adequate for leisure (you may spend more), £40 on travel (if you plan on exploring London, for instance), books and materials £60 (depending on course), toiletries can be pricey - £30

That leaves £70 a month for clothes, emergencies, mobile phone etc
Reply 5
Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I'm thinking of going to uni in London and want to know the average-low rent prices. I expect them to be much higher than areas outside of London, but does anyone know how much higher?
harriepoppy
Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I'm thinking of going to uni in London and want to know the average-low rent prices. I expect them to be much higher than areas outside of London, but does anyone know how much higher?

Most of my friends are paying about £100pw, but I know there are cheaper places going. Check out Gumtree to see what kinds of prices there are in the area that you are hoping to be in. I'm paying £150 a week next year, but I'm living near Notting Hill :rolleyes:
It depends on whether you're looking to live in halls or in a room in a shared house. Location, too, is a major factor. A room on the outskirts will cost you significantly less than one in the centre.

Brunel University, for example, charges around £84 a week for a basic room in west London.

UCL charge around £128 a week for a room in their halls in Camden (that's catered, btw, which would save you cash)
I live in a decent place in Hackney, which is not in the center of London by any means!

And i pay 440 a month. admittedly you can pay less i just have an en suite, i think my flatmate pays 380.

but my last place on camden high street, cost 550 a month
Definitely depends on location. I've had two places in West Hampstead and generally pay around £450 a month. Cinemas around here are pricey, ~£8-10 per ticket. I live with my girlfriend so we still pay council tax, although it's at a reduced rate. Travel depends on how much you wanna see London I guess but Oyster cards stop charging you after a certain amount per day which I believe is about £5.50 or so? Might be £5.60.
Can't say I've seen any Lidl or Aldi supermarkets around.
Reply 10
If someone is interested there is one free studio left in Student Castle in London
Reply 11
If someone is interested there is one free studio left in Student Castle in London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending