The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

KiiNGofLONDON
Some people don't need qualifications to overcome their insecurities. I don't care that much for an Oxbridge education, I only came here to answer the OP's question, and people like you have jumped to attack me for my opinion on the matter. You clearly popped open my spoiler and presumed I was trying to pacify my feelings of 'failure' for my B in economics, and convince myself I was oxbridge worthy. The last post is the only one, explicitly or not, where I was referring to myself, and at no point did I mention wanting or intending to attend Oxbridge. Get over yourself, you presumptuous, institutionalised prick.

No, I hadn't read your spoiler, just what you'd written here. What does the fact that 'Some people don't need qualifications to overcome their insecurities' have to do with anything? My point is, move on and get over it. You have to work for yourself. That's nothing to do with being 'institutionalised' (at least I hope not!), in fact, it may even be the opposite. You can't blame other people all the time. Nor can you continue (if you count yourself as one of these intelligent people who have not tried in school) to entertain the belief that you're intelligent, and just haven't shown it yet. Intelligence is nothing without action. So get on with it.
andyroo_g
No, I hadn't read your spoiler, just what you'd written here. What does the fact that 'Some people don't need qualifications to overcome their insecurities' have to do with anything? My point is, move on and get over it. You have to work for yourself. That's nothing to do with being 'institutionalised' (at least I hope not!), in fact, it may even be the opposite. You can't blame other people all the time. Nor can you continue (if you count yourself as one of these intelligent people who have not tried in school) to entertain the belief that you're intelligent, and just haven't shown it yet. Intelligence is nothing without action. So get on with it.

You proffered that self-motivation is an element of intelligence. Not everyone is working towards the next set of exams and/or qualification. I am self-motivated, I'm just on a different ladder with different rungs.
KiiNGofLONDON
You proffered that self-motivation is an element of intelligence. Not everyone is working towards the next set of exams and/or qualification. I am self-motivated, I'm just on a different ladder with different rungs.

I never claimed that exams or qualifications were an indicator of intelligence (or at least an exact indicator, I'm sure they have a pretty strong correlation!). But you can't just go around claiming that you're intelligent and haven't done anything with it yet. You may be on 'a different ladder with different rungs', and good luck to you. Yes, that might show your intelligence (if it's genuine), but that's what I'm on about. You seemed to be claiming that there are people who are on no ladder at all, yet their intelligence is lying in wait. What I'm saying is that intelligence is about being on some sort of ladder (and yes, there are many types).

I've abused your metaphor, my apologies.
andyroo_g
I never claimed that exams or qualifications were an indicator of intelligence (or at least an exact indicator, I'm sure they have a pretty strong correlation!). But you can't just go around claiming that you're intelligent and haven't done anything with it yet. You may be on 'a different ladder with different rungs', and good luck to you. Yes, that might show your intelligence (if it's genuine), but that's what I'm on about. You seemed to be claiming that there are people who are on no ladder at all, yet their intelligence is lying in wait. What I'm saying is that intelligence is about being on some sort of ladder (and yes, there are many types).

I've abused your metaphor, my apologies.

It won't be pressing charges.
I think anyone can get 3 As if they work hard, some will simply have to work much much harder than others to do this. This said, I think exam performance is more indicative of your ability to regurgitate information, and to generally work. Many intelligent but lazy people will fail exams, many less intelligent people will work hard and ace them. Oxbridge know this, and thats why the interview/tests/ written work is used - as a measure of actual ability independant of A level results; to weed out the people who DID have to work mega hard to get the grades and who dont have the potential that other perhaps less qualified have, and illustrate they have, at interview. I could be wrong but thats the way Ive seen it.

In regards to the OPs question: of course you can, a more apt question would have been ne regarding the likelyhood of you getting in.... which is basically what people have answered.

im tired.

<3
paddy__power
I think anyone can get 3 As if they work hard, some will simply have to work much much harder than others to do this. This said, I think exam performance is more indicative of your ability to regurgitate information, and to generally work. Many intelligent but lazy people will fail exams, many less intelligent people will work hard and ace them. Oxbridge know this, and thats why the interview/tests/ written work is used - as a measure of actual ability independant of A level results; to weed out the people who DID have to work mega hard to get the grades and who dont have the potential that other perhaps less qualified have, and illustrate they have, at interview. I could be wrong but thats the way Ive seen it.

In regards to the OPs question: of course you can, a more apt question would have been ne regarding the likelyhood of you getting in.... which is basically what people have answered.

im tired.

<3

That is what I tried to say. Thanks. Also sick sig, a proud year for any Irishman.
Reply 86
paddy__power

im tired.

<3

No, you see, the thing is: Oxbridge don't want "intelligent but lazy people".

They want determination to succeed as well as potential, and although A levels may indeed not be so good at ascertaining the latter, they can certainly ascertain the lack of the former.
Xei

They want determination to succeed as well as potential, and although A levels may indeed not be so good at ascertaining the latter, they can certainly ascertain the lack of the former.

I formulated my response wrong. The point regarding clever people failing was emant to be independant of the point regarding distinguishing between the people with As who had to work really hard for it, and the people who got them without working very hard.

I did say I was tired lol ¬¬

<3

That is what I tried to say. Thanks. Also sick sig, a proud year for any Irishman.

Many thanks, and by that token - Half irsihmen too =D

<3
Xei

You are so institutionalised (sorry to use it again), it seems futile arguing with you. Some people were given up on by the British educational system a long time ago, and found other means to occupy their intelligence. You, being 18 and having just graduated from college, clearly have never taken your eyes off of your prize of university at Oxbridge and thus by derivation, AAA (thus institutionalised). I know it's hard for people who have achieved, what they believe to be, indicators of their superior intelligence, to believe that their exist people as intelligent or more so than them but who haven't achieved the aforementioned indicators, but they do exist, and I'm fairly sure Oxbridge are aware of that.
Reply 89
If anyone is interested, I contacted a load of colleges and they said that things like depression/demotivation are enough to apply through the CSAS. I always thought you had to be seriously ill or massively disadvantaged, but it's literally if you have anything that disrupted your schooling.

Also, one college I contacted - St Catharine's - said they interview all their applicants, so if anyone is in a similar situation they might want to apply there. However, it could just be a policy for maths applicants.
O-Ren
If anyone is interested, I contacted a load of colleges and they said that things like depression/demotivation are enough to apply through the CSAS. I always thought you had to be seriously ill or massively disadvantaged, but it's literally if you have anything that disrupted your schooling.

Also, one college I contacted - St Catharine's - said they interview all their applicants, so if anyone is in a similar situation they might want to apply there. However, it could just be a policy for maths applicants.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the CSAS?
KiiNGofLONDON
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the CSAS?

Cambridge's Access initiative.
Reply 92
KiiNGofLONDON
You are so institutionalised (sorry to use it again), it seems futile arguing with you. Some people were given up on by the British educational system a long time ago, and found other means to occupy their intelligence. You, being 18 and having just graduated from college, clearly have never taken your eyes off of your prize of university at Oxbridge and thus by derivation, AAA (thus institutionalised). I know it's hard for people who have achieved, what they believe to be, indicators of their superior intelligence, to believe that their exist people as intelligent or more so than them but who haven't achieved the aforementioned indicators, but they do exist, and I'm fairly sure Oxbridge are aware of that.

This is the most arrogant and baseless thing I've ever read. :s-smilie:
Xei
This is the most arrogant and baseless thing I've ever read. :s-smilie:

I'm not sure where the arrogance lay in that post? You are the one who has taken shots at me from my first post when my only aim was to answer the OP's question, and stop him from being put off chasing his dream; even stooping so low as to mock me for getting a B in a subject you didn't even attempt. I think you've misunderstood the word's meaning.
Reply 94
I apologise if I'm reading into this incorrectly but the hypothetical student you keep referring to you seems to be yourself.

"I know it's hard for people who have achieved, what they believe to be, indicators of their superior intelligence, to believe that their exist people as intelligent or more so than them but who haven't achieved the aforementioned indicators, but they do exist" - firstly, I am completely aware that I'm not the most intelligent person in the universe, I'm actually pretty dense for a Cambridge mathmo, and secondly, it seems a bit high and mighty to declare yourself to be more intelligent than somebody you don't really know much about.

You got a B (in a subject I 'didn't even attempt'... yeah that's why I didn't do economics, I was too lazy...) and then declare that 'more intelligent people occupy themselves with other things than exams' and complain that the examiners couldn't read your handwriting... I mean, come off it.
I'm so grateful to the OP for starting this thread as it just proves how worthy the study of education is. All this talk of motivation, different kinds of intelligence and exams as a measure of intelligence is great.
Reply 96
leala4628
I'm so grateful to the OP for starting this thread as it just proves how worthy the study of education is. All this talk of motivation, different kinds of intelligence and exams as a measure of intelligence is great.

Haha, I'm glad someones enjoying it :smile:

My personal opinion on all this is that a person who cares about their subject would naturally do well, because they would want to learn about it - that's how it was for me when I did gcses and AS levels - I was interested, plus I had a lot of pride and didn't want to be beaten in exams by anyone :o: . However, because A-levels are 90% fact regurgitation and 10% brains, it is easy for an intelligent person to do very badly, for example in my case where I stopped going to my lessons because I thought there was no point to learning or leaving the house or doing anything.

What got you interested in pursuing education studies btw? Forgive me - but I always assumed people applied for it because it was easier to get into than the other subjects, and because you can easy swop to the 'academic' subject after the first year. Now I consider it, it could actually be an interesting thing to study - it kidn of overlaps with psychology?
KiiNGofLONDON
I know what you mean. When I went to Dulwich in year 6 I was light years ahead in every subject, particularly maths. My primary school, Hill House, was ahead of the DC junior school anyway, and I was being taught maths individually because I was ahead of the rest of the year. They told me I would probably take my maths GCSE a year or two early. Then at Dulwich they made no attempt to harness my abilities (which pissed me off, because they taught people who were fluent in a language separately in that subject). It didn't take long for me lose interest in school, and it wasn't until I flunked out on my AS's - ABC (and a B in Spanish which I dropped) - that I woke up and realised that no matter how bright I was, I was going to have to start working hard. The last 12 months I got my act together and was expecting AAA, but it looks as though a slow hand, shoddy handwriting, and poor technique have let me down in the essay subject, which is a shame. I got solid GCSE's (3A*, 6A and a B), which came as a shock to everyone because my school reports were awful and I missed a lot of school, and it only shocked me because of how little revision I did. My A-level economics is the only thing academically that I've tried my best at and not succeeded (unless the examiners reconsider), and that isn't enough for me to believe that I couldn't hack it at Oxbridge.

This post is embarrasing
O-Ren
Haha, I'm glad someones enjoying it :smile:

My personal opinion on all this is that a person who cares about their subject would naturally do well, because they would want to learn about it - that's how it was for me when I did gcses and AS levels - I was interested, plus I had a lot of pride and didn't want to be beaten in exams by anyone :o: . However, because A-levels are 90% fact regurgitation and 10% brains, it is easy for an intelligent person to do very badly, for example in my case where I stopped going to my lessons because I thought there was no point to learning or leaving the house or doing anything.

What got you interested in pursuing education studies btw? Forgive me - but I always assumed people applied for it because it was easier to get into than the other subjects, and because you can easy swop to the 'academic' subject after the first year. Now I consider it, it could actually be an interesting thing to study - it kidn of overlaps with psychology?

I think what a lot of people don't realise is that the study of education is totally academic at BA level (at least in Cambridge/Durham, other universities may include practical elements). I'll be studying the psychology, philosophy, sociology and history of education as well as looking at the overlaps into politics and economics which semmed quite interesting to me. As I'd been taught at home I'd developed an interest in learning styles so it made sense to study a subject which I thought everyone is involved in but not many people are doing anything about to make it better. Also, being taught at home, I wasn't obsessed with perceptions of subjects/university choices/grades so I genuinely went for a subject I was interested in (something some individuals on TSR seem unable to do).

I also don't want to teach but would like to go into academia with further research in education (possibly SEN work too).
Reply 99
This really is an interesting thread!

My situation is similar to yours, OP. I have underacheived during my final year of secondary school for several reasons; first is that I have been seriously ill and missed months of lessons (I'm applying through CSAS), second is that I went to a private school where getting 90% was impossible (seriously), third is that I didn't care that much about my grades for certain subjects.
I had good grades for subjects that interested me, but didn't do that well for biology, sports etc..
In Belgium you can't pick many of your own subjects (only three in my case), which means that you have to take about 10 courses you couldn't care less about.
Besides that, Belgian universities don't care about grades. You're in, no matter what. So I guess there were lots of intelligent people at my school who underacheived - most people just didn't care much about grades, as they're not at all relevant for people going to university in Belgium.
This doesn't really apply for me though, as I've always enjoyed studying - but you get my point.

So yes, like the OP I hope I'll get an interview despite my grades for certain subjects and hope I'll be able to impress them! :smile:

PS: I know this is all a little irrelevant, but yeah.

Latest

Trending

Trending