The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter university; similar subjects counted as one A2

I'm looking to go to university next year and so am considering my possible university choices. My top university to go for was Exeter for which I would study Management.

However on there website it says that similar subjects will be treated as one A level, including two of my subjects, Business and Economics (i'm assuming subjects like English lit and lang + Maths and further Maths would be counted as one A level).

This would mean that they would prefer irrelevent subjects rather than overlapping ones for a course. I took them together because that is the field that I am interested in and thus I think they will be turning away a lot of good potential applicants (I have emailed them about my position and they have maintained that the rule holds true and have advised me to choose an alternative third A level if I would like to apply).

Has anyone else had this problem? Do you know of any other universities that carry a similar approach?
It may be so don't count on anything, but considering you want to do Management where these subject are pretty valid I would personally say this wouldn't be an issue. You get 5 choices anyway so why not try :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Business and Economics is only one a level though. Same with English lit and Lang. Maths and Further Maths is different, as Further Maths is an extra a level.

Surely you knew this when taking Business and Economics, so it shouldn't be a shock? If you were taking Business studies a level and economics a level, this would be fine and if you were taking english lit a level and english lang a level this would be fine.
Reply 3
dont take business and economics at the same time.i think your teachers should have informed you this.they are similar courses. im not sure about eng lit and lang,but math and F.math are counted as 2 subjects.however,most uni dont want their applicants take both business and econ.
Reply 4
the tutor from LSE has clearly told us not to choose both business and econ when she came to our school.
Strange. I got into Exeter with both Applied Business A2 and Economics A2 for Economics, which is in the same school as Management programmes.

That was 2 years ago, before everything got super competitive, though.

What other AS levels did you do?
Reply 6
Last Summer's Dream
Business and Economics is only one a level though. Same with English lit and Lang. Maths and Further Maths is different, as Further Maths is an extra a level.

Surely this depends on the exam board? English Literature A Level was offered at my school, whereas English Language A Level wasn't; I also know of others on TSR who have taken one of these two A Levels and not the other. If there is some kind of 'combined' A Level in "English Language and Literature" then I'm not aware of it.
Reply 7
Angelil
Surely this depends on the exam board? English Literature A Level was offered at my school, whereas English Language A Level wasn't; I also know of others on TSR who have taken one of these two A Levels and not the other. If there is some kind of 'combined' A Level in "English Language and Literature" then I'm not aware of it.

Yeah, there's a combined Lit & Lang A2.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/eng_lang_lit_b_new.php

That's the course my 6th form offers.
I think the point is being missed by some.
As I understand it, the individual who posted this thread is studying two seperate a-levels in Business and Economics, not a single a-level. The university however only counts one of the a-levels because the content is similar. The original poster is now left with the dilemma of only having two a-levels with which to apply.
Reply 9
kath...
Yeah, there's a combined Lit & Lang A2.

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/eng_lang_lit_b_new.php

That's the course my 6th form offers.

Fair enough :smile:
So the combined Lang & Lit A2 is of course only counted as one A Level.
I don't know anyone who applied to Exeter with both of the separate A Levels, though, so don't know if they discriminate against applicants in this way when the separate English Language and English Literature A Levels are concerned.
Angelil
Fair enough :smile:
So the combined Lang & Lit A2 is of course only counted as one A Level.
I don't know anyone who applied to Exeter with both of the separate A Levels, though, so don't know if they discriminate against applicants in this way when the separate English Language and English Literature A Levels are concerned.

I know 3 people who applied to Exeter with serperate a levels in english lit and in english lang and they had offers including both subjects. English lit a level and english lang a level are completely different though, there isn't really any cross over like I assume there must be with business and economics.

My school offered english lit, english lang and english lit & lang.

Latest

Trending

Trending