The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Ok that makes me feel better thanks :smile: Im at streathem, and was really worried it would be really out the way!
XXX
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
alexgmcm
True, I suppose. UNITE accommodation has crappy internet though so I don't get to use the RESNET thingy :frown:

Eh? I'm in a Unite accommodation and from what I've read the Internet looks fine, it's not Resnet but it certainly seems to be fast enough and we don't have to pay for it unless we want to upgrade for gaming etc. What's wrong with it?
Reply 22
misslaurabee
Eh? I'm in a Unite accommodation and from what I've read the Internet looks fine, it's not Resnet but it certainly seems to be fast enough and we don't have to pay for it unless we want to upgrade for gaming etc. What's wrong with it?

The contention ratio on the slower one is like 50:1 so thats 512kbs shared with upto 50 people. To be honest I will probably just stay on the slower one as I doubt I'll use it for much more than browsing the internet and stuff, its just a bit lame given that we have to pay more, and even if we do we still get a connection speed which is worse than the ResNet one that those in uni accommodation get for free :frown:

Btw, which UNITE accommodation are you in? I'm in Northernhay and it's becoming a nightmare trying to organise when they want the first rent installment by and when the SLC pay the money in and stuff :eek3:

How have you found it?
Reply 23
^^The internet in uni accommodation isn't free - think it's something like £60 a year.
Reply 24
Angelil
^^The internet in uni accommodation isn't free - think it's something like £60 a year.

Ah, still the UNITE one is like £200 a year and it's worse :frown:

And ResNet can get on the University networked stuff too which is handy.

It's kind of irritating that students have to suffer for the mistakes of the university in handing out too many offers such that they become oversubscribed when the results come out.
Angelil

It was £70 when I was a Fresher! No doubt its gone up to about £80-£90 by now.
alexgmcm
Ah, still the UNITE one is like £200 a year and it's worse :frown:

And ResNet can get on the University networked stuff too which is handy.

It's kind of irritating that students have to suffer for the mistakes of the university in handing out too many offers such that they become oversubscribed when the results come out.

Geees man, plenty of students in University cities (not just Exeter!) have lived in UNITE accommodation before and managed with the internet connection. I'm sure it'll be fine. Yes I agree its not exactly ideal but it certainly could be a lot worse! If I were in your place I wouldn't be worrying about the exact speed of the internet, but rather celebrating that I have a place and a room at Exeter which is a great University. You'll only be living in halls for one year. After then, you can move out into the private sector and pay full whack for the fastest internet connection possible. But I doubt you WILL do that.

Take a look at the other threads and be grateful that you have your own room! Northenhay is a perfectly acceptable hall. Would you prefer to be one of the unlucky people who have been shoved into a single room with another person in Holland or Birks, with only one internet connection between them? Yes that means only one of them can use it at a time! Cos if so, then I'm sure that one of them would happily swap with you to have their own room and internet which they can use whenever they want in Northenhay.
Reply 27
sophisticated
It was £70 when I was a Fresher! No doubt its gone up to about £80-£90 by now.

IS this the resnet connection? It's £98 this year :\ Bit of a price hike.
chrispy88
IS this the resnet connection? It's £98 this year :\ Bit of a price hike.

Unsurprising.
Reply 29
Hehe, welcome to Exeter :/ £98 is still not bad for a whole year's internet, but still, that's quite a price hike (£60/year in 2004...£70/year in 2007...£98/year in 2009?!).
Reply 30
It's quite a lot of money to pay extra, considering the rent is already high compared to other uni's.
Reply 31
sophisticated
Geees man, plenty of students in University cities (not just Exeter!) have lived in UNITE accommodation before and managed with the internet connection. I'm sure it'll be fine. Yes I agree its not exactly ideal but it certainly could be a lot worse! If I were in your place I wouldn't be worrying about the exact speed of the internet, but rather celebrating that I have a place and a room at Exeter which is a great University. You'll only be living in halls for one year. After then, you can move out into the private sector and pay full whack for the fastest internet connection possible. But I doubt you WILL do that.

Take a look at the other threads and be grateful that you have your own room! Northenhay is a perfectly acceptable hall. Would you prefer to be one of the unlucky people who have been shoved into a single room with another person in Holland or Birks, with only one internet connection between them? Yes that means only one of them can use it at a time! Cos if so, then I'm sure that one of them would happily swap with you to have their own room and internet which they can use whenever they want in Northenhay.

Hmm, I suppose I haven't been screwed over as badly as some others. I didn't mean to sound whiney :p:

The rent is pretty high I suppose but not extortionately so, except maybe for the ensuite catered rooms.
alexgmcm
Hmm, I suppose I haven't been screwed over as badly as some others. I didn't mean to sound whiney :p:

The rent is pretty high I suppose but not extortionately so, except maybe for the ensuite catered rooms.

Everything in Exeter is expensive though. Its a very sought after area, so if I were you I'd get used to it.
Angelil

In my welcome guide it says mine is free :/ well not free, it's included in my rent. Which is pretty expensive anyway so...
alexgmcm
The contention ratio on the slower one is like 50:1 so thats 512kbs shared with upto 50 people. To be honest I will probably just stay on the slower one as I doubt I'll use it for much more than browsing the internet and stuff, its just a bit lame given that we have to pay more, and even if we do we still get a connection speed which is worse than the ResNet one that those in uni accommodation get for free :frown:

Btw, which UNITE accommodation are you in? I'm in Northernhay and it's becoming a nightmare trying to organise when they want the first rent installment by and when the SLC pay the money in and stuff :eek3:

How have you found it?

I'm in Northfield, you do not want to get me started on the nightmare I've had :frown: Twice there have been system muddles resulting in them almost withdrawing my offer even when I responded straight away. There have been tears. Thankfully it is all sorted now and I am very relieved to be lucky enough to have a decent room, it looks like accommodation this year has been a nightmare, I feel so bad for people having to share the single rooms in Holland Hall.

Also, pay more? My welcome guide says my Internet is included in my rent and will be up and running from the moment I arrive, I don't need to pay out any more for it. Maybe it's different between the two accommodations?
Reply 35
misslaurabee
I'm in Northfield, you do not want to get me started on the nightmare I've had :frown: Twice there have been system muddles resulting in them almost withdrawing my offer even when I responded straight away. There have been tears. Thankfully it is all sorted now and I am very relieved to be lucky enough to have a decent room, it looks like accommodation this year has been a nightmare, I feel so bad for people having to share the single rooms in Holland Hall.

Also, pay more? My welcome guide says my Internet is included in my rent and will be up and running from the moment I arrive, I don't need to pay out any more for it. Maybe it's different between the two accommodations?

Hmm.. I think mine might include the slower internet then, but it still doesn't compare to the uni ResNet but meh it is only for a year :/

Ouch, that sounds awful that they nearly withdrew your offer! At least it is sorted now though. :smile:

As for the poor people in Holland Hall, I stayed there at some Pre-University Physics Course thing and I can't imagine how they will fit two people into those rooms.:s-smilie:
alexgmcm
Hmm.. I think mine might include the slower internet then, but it still doesn't compare to the uni ResNet but meh it is only for a year :/

Ouch, that sounds awful that they nearly withdrew your offer! At least it is sorted now though. :smile:

As for the poor people in Holland Hall, I stayed there at some Pre-University Physics Course thing and I can't imagine how they will fit two people into those rooms.:s-smilie:

I admit to only using the Internet for extremely basic browsing anyway, I don't download things, which is probably why the speed didn't bother me. The 10mb Resnet would be rather wasted on me :o: I visit like, four websites a day, and they're all text based... (to be honest the concept of the Internet is probably wasted on me as well!) I hope the basic stuff is free for Northernhay too, it doesn't seem fair to charge one building and not another :s-smilie: unless they just automatically whacked the Internet fee into our rent and not yours, which would be a bit odd...
Reply 37
It really does suck that the interent is extra and rubbish. If you click on the UWant tab on the Unite website it says under paying for internet "All inclusive customers benefit from a discounted bulk Lite internet rate included in your rent, upgrading to Super is chargeable at £4.99 for these customers only." Am I being thick or does that not mean Lite should be included? Who are these all inclusive customers?
KateStone
It really does suck that the interent is extra and rubbish. If you click on the UWant tab on the Unite website it says under paying for internet "All inclusive customers benefit from a discounted bulk Lite internet rate included in your rent, upgrading to Super is chargeable at £4.99 for these customers only." Am I being thick or does that not mean Lite should be included? Who are these all inclusive customers?

I'm quite confused about this... At first I was told what you've said above - the Lite service is included in the rent, etc. I've now been told that I actually do get ResNet despite being in a Unite residence after all - have to pay the fee but it's the 10mb connection that the University residences get, rather than the 512kbps one. I don't know if this applies to all of the Unite residences in Exeter, though...
Reply 39
Ooh, I know this! Northfield has ResNet, 'cos it's just across the road from campus (I remember them digging the road up to lay the cable). Northernhay House doesn't because it's in the city centre and if anyone tried digging up that much road they'd be pretty unpopular...

Latest

Trending

Trending