The Student Room Group

Access to H.E, maintenance grant.

Hi everyone.
I'm new to the forum so be gentle with me!
So here goes.
After being made redundant earlier this year,I have decided to go back to college, and as such I am starting an Access to H.E course in a few weeks (ulp!:eek4:).
I have what may be a dumb question;
will I be eligible for a maintenance grant etc?
Income wise, I will,( 3 kids, wife works part-time) but I need to know if an access course of 16hrs a week will Qualify?
Thanks in advance for any help, and good luck to anyone else starting soon:woo:
Reply 1
No it won't. I think you can only get it for doing a higher education course. You may be eligible for ALG (Adult Learning Grant). Thats what I did when I was at college, although I only got a tenner a week due to my previous years earnings.

That was the only financial support I could get, pretty crap really.
Reply 2
Adding to Immz post, you may also be able to get help from learner support fund.
Reply 3
I found this too, there are grants for Higher Education, but hardly anything for Further Education. If you can get through the Access doing some part time work just to keep going, then it gets easier, but a few people dropped out on my course last year because of financial pressure. Doesn't seem fair.
Pretty much what immz says.

You won't be able to get a maintenance grant as access isn't classed as a higher education course. However, i think you will indeed be eligible for the Adult Learning Grant (which, if i am correct, is paid to you on a weekly basis) it isn't much, but it's better than nothing, i guess. You may be able to apply for other benefits within the welfare system, as your wife only works part time and you will be in education, with of course 3 kids to feed and provide for. It might be worth giving them a call and see if they can do anything for you. OR, contact your local college where you'll be attending as they will probably have additional information with stuff like this, due to dealing with mature students on the access course.
Reply 5
Just as I thought, oh well, I'll just have to tough it out for a year.
I've been searching for a while now, and there is very little help for anyone who wants to return to formal education.
All there seems to be are the things you see advertised on T.V. Learn direct and the like, not much use to me, I need a degree for my prospective new career, and the access course I need to do,to get that.
Pt40's right it doesn't seem fair.
Lot's of middle aged people like me need a helping hand in the present climate, and I thought the government would be doing more. :0(
Thank's for the replies everyone.
Reply 6
As mentioned, have a look at ALG - its not a great deal of money, but it sure does come in handy each week. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/FinancialHelpForAdultLearners/Adultlearninggrant/index.htm
Reply 7
blueandi
Just as I thought, oh well, I'll just have to tough it out for a year.
I've been searching for a while now, and there is very little help for anyone who wants to return to formal education.
All there seems to be are the things you see advertised on T.V. Learn direct and the like, not much use to me, I need a degree for my prospective new career, and the access course I need to do,to get that.
Pt40's right it doesn't seem fair.
Lot's of middle aged people like me need a helping hand in the present climate, and I thought the government would be doing more. :0(
Thank's for the replies everyone.

You just need to find a way to manage and stick it out, it's a bit easier once you actually make it to uni as you have loans and grants to at least give you a partial sense of stability.

I do agree that there isn't enough help, especially early on, but it's important to remember that all the stuff on TV and the various government schemes are just politics and numbers games.

It's like they tell everyone to climb a rope for some prize at the top but they won't untie your hands first.

Latest

Trending

Trending