The Student Room Group

~ The Official Reapplying Thread 2010 ~

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I am re-applying too as I got BBB and needed AAB. I am hoping to re-sit and get upto AAB/AAA. As top unis tend to prefer students who get the grades in two years rather than three would it be worth doing an extra A-level in a year to show some academic motivation? I am getting mixed messages as some people say that unis would like it but others say that I won't be able to get a predicted grade in it which renders it useless to universities?
Reply 21
I dont want to sound like a prick but in my opinion you should not be allowed to reapply if u failed first time because it is unfair on the next years people because less spaces. if u fail first u should not be allowed to reapply. Who agress with me?
Reply 22
hussain101
I dont want to sound like a prick but in my opinion you should not be allowed to reapply if u failed first time because it is unfair on the next years people because less spaces. if u fail first u should not be allowed to reapply. Who agress with me?

Not me, so you think someone who is older/possibly more mature, someone who has got more work and life experience shouldnt get the place while someone who is younger/possibley less mature and with less experience deserves to go?
Reply 23
mindy123
I am re-applying too as I got BBB and needed AAB. I am hoping to re-sit and get upto AAB/AAA. As top unis tend to prefer students who get the grades in two years rather than three would it be worth doing an extra A-level in a year to show some academic motivation? I am getting mixed messages as some people say that unis would like it but others say that I won't be able to get a predicted grade in it which renders it useless to universities?

I never thought of that :eek3: (alevel in a year, predicated grade is therefore useless) ****!

well i dont think it will make you, yourself should worry to much as if you think you can get AAB/AAA already. then you have already met the basic requirements for the uni, so the extra alevel is just an added bonus isnt it?

also some people dont have a choice anyway, because they cant improve their grades due to the old spec stopping AS module resits. So they are forced to take an extra alevel (like me). Its not exactly our fault the old spec is being replaced and we cant improve our grades.
Reply 24
I managed to mess up oxford by getting AABB, I should be shot. So yeah Im retaking some modules as well as doing some placements/skills courses to reapply next year:smile:
Reply 25
Sree
I managed to mess up oxford by getting AABB, I should be shot. So yeah Im retaking some modules as well as doing some placements/skills courses to reapply next year:smile:

What are the placement/skills courses?
Reply 26
jabed786
Yay :biggrin:
--
I'm resiting some modules and doing an extra alevel. Im doing all of this from home, with no help from teachers. If I apply through a 6th form (like I did in 2009) will it seem like I actually studied at the 6th form during this new academic year? or should I mention in my PS that 'I am studying the A-level on my own, at home'.

Wow, I'm doing the same! I got rejected by all the unis I applied to in the first place, so I'm applying again next month. I have AAB, but I am going to do a self-taught History A level.

What course do you want to do at uni, and what extra A level are you doing? How are you going about self-teaching? I think I'm going to have to go back to my old sixth form when the term starts and ask a History teacher what textbooks I need and what I need to learn etc.
Reply 27
hussain101

That's very easy to say if you have a place! I worked extremely hard throughout my A levels, and was predicted AAAA when I applied, but was still rejected by all of them; however, I have friends who didn't bother much with A levels, got much lower grades than I did, and have got into a university. Is it fair that they should get higher education and I shouldn't?

You seem to have a very one-dimensional view of university- as if all applicants are seventeen and doing their A levels. In reality, university applicants are of all ages, and so ruling out those who applied during their A levels and failed would not reduce the competition that much.

You are obviously not aware of the huge level of competition at universities these days, and of the fact that it is quite common for perfectly qualified applicants to be rejected just because there isn't enough space. How can you seriously suggest that people who have worked hard and want a degree must be denied that opportunity just because there isn't enough space first time?
Reply 28
jannike
Wow, I'm doing the same! I got rejected by all the unis I applied to in the first place, so I'm applying again next month. I have AAB, but I am going to do a self-taught History A level.

What course do you want to do at uni, and what extra A level are you doing? How are you going about self-teaching? I think I'm going to have to go back to my old sixth form when the term starts and ask a History teacher what textbooks I need and what I need to learn etc.

My sig pretty much answers most of your questions lol.
I got BBD for alevels, hope to resit and improve to ABC.
I'm self studying Sociology as I think its my best bet to getting an A. giving my AABC so then I meet my unis typical reapplicant offer (AAB)

I'm applying for Economics and hopefully at Manchester Uni.
I'm going to purchase textbooks and just learn from them.
My 6th form didnt teach sociology so yeah im on my own.
I might do study RE instead, if manchester replies to my email and says self studying sociology is a bad idea.
Reply 29
Loz17
Why didn;t I see this thread before

I' reapplying for pharmacy (again)

Tautology fail :P

Re-applying due to unexpected results. Was originally going to do Mod Langs but didn't do too well in French, so decided to stick to just the one language! Also did really well in English, so English and French UCAS 2010 here I comee!
Probably at Exeter (gamble one), RHUL, Warwick, Leicester (back-up safe one) and one other place! Woo gap year in France, doing some Chalet Hosting/Au Pairing stuff :smile:
SpamBa
Tautology fail :P

Haha :laugh: :biggrin:

Good luck with your plans for the year anyway and I hope your successful this year :smile:
Reply 31
I did exactly what you guys are doing, when I applied to go to Uni 2 years ago. I didn't get the grades to get into my first choice, and didn't fancy going to my insurance so took a year off. And man, I'm SO glad I did. I retook an A level to improve my grades, got a full time office job at Prudential (its so great earning lots of money!) and then went travelling. The great thing about retaking in January was that I had my grades early so I rang up the University and asked them to accept me as I had the grades, this meant no pressue in August! I ended up going to a different University to the one I originally intended to go to, mainly because they were horrible, and now I'm having a fantastic time at Nottingham!

Seriously, I know you may all feel a bit crap about not getting in, I definitely did, but it all worked out for the best. I had an amazing Gap Year, got lots of money (which school leavers don't :-), matured SO much and it just seems you appreciate Uni a lot more because you're older, wiser and richer!
hussain101

Im switching to a different subject - I got 4 offers last year but am reapplying anyway. Am I a failure?
Sree

Thats horribly annoying. But Im sure you will get in next year! (imagine if you dont!! :eek: )
Reply 34
jabed786
My sig pretty much answers most of your questions lol.
I got BBD for alevels, hope to resit and improve to ABC.
I'm self studying Sociology as I think its my best bet to getting an A. giving my AABC so then I meet my unis typical reapplicant offer (AAB)

I'm applying for Economics and hopefully at Manchester Uni.
I'm going to purchase textbooks and just learn from them.
My 6th form didnt teach sociology so yeah im on my own.
I might do study RE instead, if manchester replies to my email and says self studying sociology is a bad idea.

I did sociology at A level. Basically, if you are good at remembering names, years and studies, and organising relevant information into an essay, you'll be fine. It's one of the subjects I got an A in, and got 100% on a few of the papers somehow.

Wish i could just get the text books for history and start learning, but there are so many, I have no idea which to buy!

I want to do English at uni, and would like to go to Nottingham or Warwick.

You asked earlier if you would be able to get a predicted grade for an A level in one year. I hope so! I'm going to ask a history teacher at my ex-sixth form if they can mark a few essays for me and predict me a grade. Hope it's possible :s-smilie:
Reply 35
I got AAA and got into my firm.....but then realised I wanted to go to my insurance but the were full. Soo reapplying this year. I have very poor health so this year gonna focus on improving my health I probably would not have managed at uni anyway. Luckily I don't have to work but can't really travel so am stuck in limbo atm.
T-o dore
Im switching to a different subject - I got 4 offers last year but am reapplying anyway. Am I a failure?

Same, I declined my offers to reapply. Crazy? I think so.
Hey
I did alright in my A-levels but just missed out on the grades i wanted so I am going to resit in January. I got an A in History, a B in Chemistry ( by 2 ums marks!!! so close to the A) and a B in Enlgish (which I was really disappointed in but I knew I had stressed out so badly in my last exam it would had to have brought my grade down- I don't always cope with exam pressure very well but thats the worst I think i've been with it). Its not like I failed or anything but I think I deserve a resit oppertunity because a B isnt that representative of my ability in English, I got full marks on both my AS and my A2 courseowork and every essay I have done in sixthform has been marked as an A... so I think it only fair that I can try that one exam again and hopefully I'll cope better with it this time. ( I am also going to resit 1 Chemistry exam because its so close, which I think is quite good given that I was really quite bad in chemistry in my first year- I got a C - so clearly i've improved quite a lot)
I also want to to voluntry work and get some work experiance and maybe get a job after January when the exams are all done- and if possible a part time one before that. I'm just a bit nervous that unis will look down on me because I want to study English and I got a B in it this year and will maybe just straight of reject me and not give me the chance to woo them with my (hopeful) new A in January- does anyone know roughly when results day for resits will be? because theres fewer people on the old spec now obvoisly, so could we get them before march? and so before the Unis accept or decline us?
that was probably a stupid qquestion actually ebcause none of us can know results day yet! I'm not even sure of the date of my exams. but is anyone else hopeful that it could be earlier? or do you think it's uinlikely? I just thought if my resits were successfull and I knew before the Universities responded that they might be more inclinded to accept me as a candidate... I know I'm a bit premature with this thought but its mainly because i don't have much faith in a good uni like Warwick liking me with just a B.
Reply 39
GingerJo
I did exactly what you guys are doing, when I applied to go to Uni 2 years ago. I didn't get the grades to get into my first choice, and didn't fancy going to my insurance so took a year off. And man, I'm SO glad I did. I retook an A level to improve my grades, got a full time office job at Prudential (its so great earning lots of money!) and then went travelling. The great thing about retaking in January was that I had my grades early so I rang up the University and asked them to accept me as I had the grades, this meant no pressue in August! I ended up going to a different University to the one I originally intended to go to, mainly because they were horrible, and now I'm having a fantastic time at Nottingham!

Seriously, I know you may all feel a bit crap about not getting in, I definitely did, but it all worked out for the best. I had an amazing Gap Year, got lots of money (which school leavers don't :-), matured SO much and it just seems you appreciate Uni a lot more because you're older, wiser and richer!

:smile: you've kind of re-assured me that taking a gap year and reapplying aint such a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Latest