The Student Room Group

Going back to College for a month

The exams are over a week on Thursday.

What better way to relax than go back to College on a Thursday?! That's what my College are doing, and it annoys me simply because I have a exam on the Wednesday and just want to forget education and relax for a while.

What will we do in the month? I am currently taking Maths GCSE course, obviously once the exams are over nothing can be done until results day, so will they remove this from my schedule?

Also I'm 99.9% sure about dropping ICT and doing Computing instead...Will I have to do Computing in this month or will I be free for the 6 lessons ICT currently occupies? I'm guessing the latter since Computing will be an AS course.
Reply 1
You just go into college when you have an exam. If you don't, you just stay home.

I think you should go back to college to continue the A-levels (i.e. A2 - second half of the A-levels), after your AS exams. You will know how the second half of the course is like, and decide if you want to drop it or not. In addition, when you get your A-level results in august, it will help you decide to drop the subject or not.

A-level computing is good. I quite like the course. However, some parts of the course is programming. The good parts of the course is in the second half of the course and the programming stuff.
GCSE maths will almost definitely be removed from your timetable as once you've done the exams, it's just a case of waiting until results day. As for ICT and Computing, if Computing would be an AS, that won't start until September, but I think you should carry on with ICT until results day anyway just to be sure before you drop it.
Reply 3
By the way, you must continue the A-level until the term ends no matter what your circumstances are. This is because people can get a head start instead of starting the second half of the A-level in september. Just pretend to be interested in ICT until the term ends. Last year, I know I wanted to do drop business, however the teacher won't let me, and wanted me to learn the second half of the A-level stuff until the end of the term. I just pretended to be interested.

I guess you could talk to your teacher that you are definately dropping ICT though. If the teacher lets you, that means you won't need to attend the lessons.

After results day, you can decide to drop it or not.
Reply 4
Can't relate. I get mega stressed if I go into an exam unprepared and am acually happiest begind a book otherwise I feel guilty and get stressed.
Reply 5
I'm sort of in the same situation. I'm definatly dropping psychology next year, but the college ask you to carry on with all 4 until the end of term.
However, in my college you are aloud to drop a subject if you sign a disclaimer form saying that you wont be aloud to rejoin the A2 course next year, even if you change your mind during the summer.
Reply 6
We go back on Monday and have to continue all four subjects. And then when we go back in September, we have to continue with all four subjects, unless we have really solid reasons as to why we can't.
trev
By the way, you must continue the A-level until the term ends no matter what your circumstances are. After results day, you can decide to drop it or not.

That's not true. At my school, if you really, really do not want to continue with a particular subject then you can drop it before the end of term. Lots of people did in my year.
Reply 8
-Sian-
That's not true. At my school, if you really, really do not want to continue with a particular subject then you can drop it before the end of term. Lots of people did in my year.

I hope my school is like yours. :frown: I had to continue with the subject I wanted to drop, but they won't incase you change your mind. In the end, I didn't change my mind,
I couldn't decide what to drop so I did all four for the first half term of Upper Sixth. I then dropped English Language kept Biology, which I probably would've dropped had I have had to make a decision straight after the AS-level exams. :smile:
zxczxc
We go back on Monday and have to continue all four subjects. And then when we go back in September, we have to continue with all four subjects, unless we have really solid reasons as to why we can't.

Why is that when you only need 3 A-levels? Is your school really academic or something? At my school, we're *supposed* to attend the A2 lessons for all of our subjects until we break up in July in case we change our mind after results day, but in theory, if people are sure they want to drop a subject whatever their grade, they won't go to the lessons because there's no point, and what can the school really do about it?
Reply 11
BUMP

Do you go back to College using the same timetable as you had pre exams?

If that is the case then I want to drop ICT as I am 99.9% sure I'm going to switch to AS Computing next year.

On Monday my schedule is FREE FREE FREE FREE Form LUNCH Ict Maths FREE
Tuesday English English BREAK Business Business FREE LUNCH FREE FREE FREE
Wednesday Maths Maths BREAK FREE FREE Business LUNCH Ict Ict Ict
Thursday FREE FREE BREAK English English Form LUNCH FREE Business Business
Friday Ict Ict BREAK Maths Maths FREE LUNCH Business English English

Where Maths is GCSE, which can't be taught once the exams have been done!

So as you can see I would rather drop ICT and not have to go into College for the ICT lessons. Also do you do General Studies in this month as if I can skip the form on Monday I can have the whole day off.
Reply 12
Johnt
BUMP

Do you go back to College using the same timetable as you had pre exams?

If that is the case then I want to drop ICT as I am 99.9% sure I'm going to switch to AS Computing next year.

On Monday my schedule is FREE FREE FREE FREE Form LUNCH Ict Maths FREE
Tuesday English English BREAK Business Business FREE LUNCH FREE FREE FREE
Wednesday Maths Maths BREAK FREE FREE Business LUNCH Ict Ict Ict
Thursday FREE FREE BREAK English English Form LUNCH FREE Business Business
Friday Ict Ict BREAK Maths Maths FREE LUNCH Business English English

Where Maths is GCSE, which can't be taught once the exams have been done!

So as you can see I would rather drop ICT and not have to go into College for the ICT lessons. Also do you do General Studies in this month as if I can skip the form on Monday I can have the whole day off.

Yes, you still use the same timetable as your pre-exams. There's no point having a new one, as it's not the end of the school year yet. Woah, you got loads of free periods. :eek: I think you still have to go to GS as you are not dropping it, and you would still learn some new stuff.
Reply 13
Lol at my college you HAD to carry on with every subject, however if you tell them you're dropping it then they might not chase you up if say it was your only lesson on that day, had a big free. I would say go to i.t. on wednesday and friday, in the last week don't bother going at all, they can't make you. If you're on ema then I guess your a bit f**ked lol :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending