The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
My brother moved to Leeds for uni and has not come across any crime or problems in the year he has been living there. But, of course, like every city there will be crime in certain areas.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Its not bad. Opportunist burglary is the most common crime, quite a few students get done when they've had house parties and invited randoms in off the street, or when they've left windows open and had playstations/ipods etc disappear out of their room.

Re violent crime it's not bad. Headingley and Hyde Park and the city centre are pretty safe. Woodhouse, Little London a bit more dodgy but unless you get a house there you'd never need to go there. If you buy drugs then you increase the risks slightly because you start to have contact with dodgier people.
Reply 3
MagicNMedicine
Its not bad. Opportunist burglary is the most common crime, quite a few students get done when they've had house parties and invited randoms in off the street, or when they've left windows open and had playstations/ipods etc disappear out of their room.

Re violent crime it's not bad. Headingley and Hyde Park and the city centre are pretty safe. Woodhouse, Little London a bit more dodgy but unless you get a house there you'd never need to go there. If you buy drugs then you increase the risks slightly because you start to have contact with dodgier people.

That sounds ok! Could you tell me which are the good and bad areas around the city? Thanks so much for your help :smile:
Reply 4
Evabell
That sounds ok! Could you tell me which are the good and bad areas around the city? Thanks so much for your help :smile:

Hyde Park has proportionately more crime than the average because of the multiple occupancy houses and the expensive electrical goods students bring with them, which makes it a target, but being a recognised student area like Headingley, there is safety in numbers.

I would advise people not to live in Little London. If you want to be that close to the city centre, it's probably better to go in one of the private halls like Opal, Unite or Broadcasting towers.
Reply 5
Yeah avoid Woodhouse like the plague. Got burgled a few times there, little bastards wouldn't stop at anything.
Reply 6
Gissing
Hyde Park has proportionately more crime than the average because of the multiple occupancy houses and the expensive electrical goods students bring with them, which makes it a target, but being a recognised student area like Headingley, there is safety in numbers.

I would advise people not to live in Little London. If you want to be that close to the city centre, it's probably better to go in one of the private halls like Opal, Unite or Broadcasting towers.

So would you advise not living in Hyde Park either then? What is the main problem with Little London?
What about other areas out of the main student center? Like Roundhay, seacroft etc. Or areas south of the city like Cross Green and Holbeck?

Thanks for your help!
Evabell
So would you advise not living in Hyde Park either then? What is the main problem with Little London?
What about other areas out of the main student center? Like Roundhay, seacroft etc. Or areas south of the city like Cross Green and Holbeck?

Thanks for your help!

Hyde Park's fine, it has a great feel with some cool little shops, cafes, pubs etc. It's cheaper to live in than Headingley too. With all burglaries its just a question of being careful and not leaving windows open when you go out.

Little London is a Council Estate near the city centre. Students never used to live there at all and I suppose they're only moving there as it's so cheap. As with all council estates it's a bit dodgy. It;s out of the way of anything you need to go to though so don't worry about it.

Roundhay is a very nice residential area about 4-5 miles north of the centre, very pleasant and leafy with big houses. Not so many students there though, Leeds has loads of areas like this (e.g. Horsforth, Moortown, Adel, Lawnswood) but if you live there you'd be far away from uni and might not get the best 'student' experience. Chapel Allerton is a pretty cool area with trendy bars and cafes, but it's more for the 'professionals' than students.

Seacroft is a huge council estate right on the other side of town, no point going there. Cross Green is a hole, Holbeck is cheap but again I wouldn't bother with anywhere south of the river - it'd take too long gettign to uni in the morning!
Reply 8
EssexDan86
Hyde Park's fine, it has a great feel with some cool little shops, cafes, pubs etc. It's cheaper to live in than Headingley too. With all burglaries its just a question of being careful and not leaving windows open when you go out.

Little London is a Council Estate near the city centre. Students never used to live there at all and I suppose they're only moving there as it's so cheap. As with all council estates it's a bit dodgy. It;s out of the way of anything you need to go to though so don't worry about it.

Roundhay is a very nice residential area about 4-5 miles north of the centre, very pleasant and leafy with big houses. Not so many students there though, Leeds has loads of areas like this (e.g. Horsforth, Moortown, Adel, Lawnswood) but if you live there you'd be far away from uni and might not get the best 'student' experience. Chapel Allerton is a pretty cool area with trendy bars and cafes, but it's more for the 'professionals' than students.

Seacroft is a huge council estate right on the other side of town, no point going there. Cross Green is a hole, Holbeck is cheap but again I wouldn't bother with anywhere south of the river - it'd take too long gettign to uni in the morning!

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:
Reply 9
Everything Dan says is correct. I would say go for Hyde Park, or Headingley if it's do-able.
Don't bother with Little London or south of the river, and definitely NOT Seacroft. NEVER.
EssexDan86

I thought Headingley was a lot cheaper than the houses we viewed in Hyde Park, especially relative to the quality of the house.
Crazy_Pooch
I thought Headingley was a lot cheaper than the houses we viewed in Hyde Park, especially relative to the quality of the house.

Hmm, it shouldn't be! But I suppose individual houses will vary in price. Because Headingley is a more popular area you'll probably get more for your money in Hyde Park too .
EssexDan86
Hmm, it shouldn't be! But I suppose individual houses will vary in price. Because Headingley is a more popular area you'll probably get more for your money in Hyde Park too .

It's not for UoL students. We left it quite late though so maybe that's why the quality of houses in Hyde Park where so low, but it seemed to be that we were paying much more for the luxury of living closer to Uni.
There was a stabbing in Hyde Park a month or so ago.

I mention this to highlight the fact that this is such a rare occurrence, it surprised the whole community. It's a safe area to live, and isn't too noisy...
Crazy_Pooch
It's not for UoL students. We left it quite late though so maybe that's why the quality of houses in Hyde Park where so low, but it seemed to be that we were paying much more for the luxury of living closer to Uni.

Sounds like you were being shown round by bad landlords/agents, the later you leave it the cheaper you should be getting it. Some of those big properties near uni are expensive, but you can get a good property in Hyde Park for £50-55 a week
MagicNMedicine
Sounds like you were being shown round by bad landlords/agents, the later you leave it the cheaper you should be getting it. Some of those big properties near uni are expensive, but you can get a good property in Hyde Park for £50-55 a week

We went around with a few. Anyway very happy in Headingley, much nicer than Hyde Park for mine.

Latest