The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
just_tha_bboy
Am i the only one who gets annoyed with this or am i just a "cheapscate?" I don't appreciate paying £10 more than ladies to get into a club with crap music and expensive drinks though :/

I agree.

I've seen facebook groups where it's "free for girls and £15 for guys before 11, £25 afterwards". I mean seriously. Twenty five pounds?!?
Reply 2
M_E_X
I agree.

I've seen facebook groups where it's "free for girls and £15 for guys before 11, £25 afterwards". I mean seriously. Twenty five pounds?!?

People pay those prices thou!

If someone is that bothered about it, then don't go into the club, boycott it.

Quite a clever ploy by the owner, as would you go into a club full of guys?
Most guys wouldnt, and indeed most girls wouldnt, however most people would go into a club full of girls.

Sex sells, remember!!
Reply 3
yeah, but i'm sure that is sexist.

if it was more expensive for black people then it would be racist. so there must be some law being broken

Is it lawful for a nightclub to admit women free of charge or give them free or reduced priced drinks?

If a nightclub tries to attract women with free entry or free or reduced price drinks but charges men entrance fees and higher prices for drinks then this would be a breach of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (SDA).

In 1982 a man challenged a wine bar's practice of charging men £1 admittance fee but allowed women in free. A county court judge made a declaration that he had been discriminated against although only nominal damages were awarded.

EDIT: SDA helpline: 0845 601 5901
Reply 4
The clubs with the most girls often play **** music.

Most underground nights are sausage fests.
Reply 5
Girls attract guys to the club and make for a less tense atmosphere. When I worked the door, we positively discriminated against girls because you don't want to get a reputation as a club full of guys.
Reply 6
mrikey
Girls attract guys to the club and make for a less tense atmosphere. When I worked the door, we positively discriminated against girls because you don't want to get a reputation as a club full of guys.

I go for the music. I don't care who's in the club. I'm a hip-hop head and It's all about the DJ and the beats.

Don't get me wrong seeing girls shake their stuff on the dancefloor is nice (i'm a straight guy for god sake), but i don't want to be in a club where they throw in ladies just for the sake of gettin in more people. Most of the guys who go in for the girls don't care about the music and spend their life at the bar sucking the life off the dancefloor, get p*ssed and make a fool out of themselves and annoy people.

Should be fair. Everyone should pay the same.
Reply 7
2^1/2
yeah, but i'm sure that is sexist.

if it was more expensive for black people then it would be racist. so there must be some law being broken

EDIT: SDA helpline: 0845 601 5901

Interesting. I've always assumed that they can charge what they like, similar to how they can refuse entry to anyone without reason, because its a private premises. If a group of black lads were not allowed in, but white lads were, you couldnt prove that as racial discrimination. There are too many other reasons.
Reply 8
meh, it's business sense for the club. they are businesses, not charities, after all.
Reply 9
if it is against the law it shouldnt be. there are too many meddling laws already. there'll be laws on breathing next
Reply 10
just_tha_bboy
I go for the music. I don't care who's in the club. I'm a hip-hop head and It's all about the DJ and the beats.

Don't get me wrong seeing girls shake their stuff on the dancefloor is nice (i'm a straight guy for god sake), but i don't want to be in a club where they throw in ladies just for the sake of gettin in more people. Most of the guys who go in for the girls don't care about the music and spend their life at the bar sucking the life off the dancefloor, get p*ssed and make a fool out of themselves and annoy people.

Should be fair. Everyone should pay the same.

Thats fine but I think you should recognise you are in the minority and that most lads who go to a club are at least interested in pulling. Who do you think is more profitable to the club anyway, you or these people who just stand at the bar getting drunk on expensive drinks.
Reply 11
Cj-Tj
Interesting. I've always assumed that they can charge what they like, similar to how they can refuse entry to anyone without reason, because its a private premises. If a group of black lads were not allowed in, but white lads were, you couldnt prove that as racial discrimination. There are too many other reasons.

I was talking about entry fees, but also for refused entry the police would receive the complaint then would send some white and black men, dressed and acting the same to the club (so the only factor would be race) and if one was refused entry then that would be racist, and interviewing the bouncers they may find out the policy that the club operates.

But on the subject of male/female costs you will find it will say somewhere girls - free, boys £x so that is pretty clear sexual discrinination, and previous cases have proved this to be illegal.
Reply 12
I know what you mean, I remember being handed a flyer for some club which says "Girls FREE entry, Guys £5" >.<.....
if you come to a club with girls, then you'll get in for free.
Reply 14
some of you may have a point that clubs want to get more girls in, unfortunately they can't do it by differential entry fees (or you can take them to court)

or just carry this around with you: http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1975/pdf/ukpga_19750065_en.pdf
Reply 15
I have never noticed this. Although, i am a girl and only go clubbing with my girls.
Reply 16
i love the fact that whenever there is a problem british people always look to the government ''tax us'' or ''makle a law for us'' ''waaaahhh''. ffs, any inequality that does exist is a product of the market which means we ******* ASKED FOR IT ANYWAY BY PAYING FOR IT

''Government. i entered a contract to pay x company this by paying when they asked me to pay and now i want you to make a law stopping me from paying in the future. waahahh!!''

I swear british people have some totalitarian gene. of all the places i have been i've never know anywhere where the people expect the govt to wipe their ass quite as much as in the uk
Reply 17
just_tha_bboy
Am i the only one who gets annoyed with this or am i just a "cheapscate?" I don't appreciate paying £10 more than ladies to get into a club with crap music and expensive drinks though :/

It's not like i'm paying to pull or anything. I'm paying for decent range of drinks, good dj, decent venue and good music.

Far be it from you to challenge the proprietor's business-model. If you don't like it, go elsewhere; otherwise, you're a hypocrite.
I've never been to a club like this, but I've heard about them. I guess you can see what they're thinking- the more girls in the club, the more likely guys are gonna want to get in therefore the more you can get away with charging them. Obviously this is a massive generalisation and doesn't apply to the OP, but not all clubs are like this at least.
I don't go to clubs that do those stupid offers. Especially since the advertisements usually insinuate that the club is full of really easy girls and guys are paying a premium for an easy pull. I mean, really? That's only going to attract perverts and unsuspecting girls who just want to dance with their friends without being pestered. Not a good combination.

Latest

Trending

Trending