The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey everyone, also hoping to do vet med in 2011! Only at the AS Level stage atm, got some work experience, just need to find a farm placement & develop some extra ciriculars as I have none lol

Out of interest how did people find work experience on farms? Just ring around?
nessa101
oh my dear god that took a long time to read!!

ill be applying next year but ive already started to get my self stressed about the BMAT work experience and open days and stuff. 2 things

a) who is going to vetmed link?

b) anyone in london know where you can do lab work experience?

Hey! :smile:

a) There's a seperate thread just started- have a look. As far as I know Caroline (gernumblies), mammamia and 1-2 others are definately going. I'd also love to go but don't think I can afford. :frown: Should be wicked tho.

b) Have you tried the VLA?

Btw, as for being stressed, I'm perpetually in a stressed out state about most things, including work experience. Not good, haha. :wink:
Reply 62
just had a look thanks! yea its not so good school seem to love givin tlks on how to de-stress which is a load of bull! xcuse the language.

i new there was supposed to alot of people applyin to do vet medicine but it was never much of a reality as no one i actually know is doing it!

any opinions on which the best unis for it are?? xx
Reply 63
nessa101
oh my dear god that took a long time to read!!

ill be applying next year but ive already started to get my self stressed about the BMAT work experience and open days and stuff. 2 things

a) who is going to vetmed link?

b) anyone in london know where you can do lab work experience?
nessa101
just had a look thanks! yea its not so good school seem to love givin tlks on how to de-stress which is a load of bull! xcuse the language.

i new there was supposed to alot of people applyin to do vet medicine but it was never much of a reality as no one i actually know is doing it!

any opinions on which the best unis for it are?? xx

Hello again, I see you got here without my assistance. :p:
To answer your questions:
a) I am going if I get a place. Dad only sent the form today, :rolleyes: and now I'm worried there was a deadline put on applying.
b) I have no clue, sorry! I'm not from down south!
Emms123
Hey everyone, also hoping to do vet med in 2011! Only at the AS Level stage atm, got some work experience, just need to find a farm placement & develop some extra ciriculars as I have none lol

My farm experience was obtained, if you'd believe it, through mum goig to the village WI. :rolleyes: One of her back-row giggle buddies lives in the next village, and her husband is a sheep and pig farmer. Acquantainces really. My first lot of vet experience was through a friend of a friend, but ringing around certainly can't hurt. If you ask one farm and they say no, ask them if they know of any farms in the vicinity who would be likely to take you, or take veterinary students already (these ones will be likely to know what to show you!). I swear every farmer knows each other! :p: Also, once you've found one place, if they like you, you could ask them about other places then. They'd be more inclined to recommend you to others, as well as give you some phone numbers.
mydearthing
Hey!

a) There's a seperate thread just started- have a look. As far as I know Caroline (gernumblies), mammamia and 1-2 others are definitely going. I'd also love to go but don't think I can afford. Should be wicked tho.

b) Have you tried the VLA?

Btw, as for being stressed, I'm perpetually in a stressed out state about most things, including work experience. Not good, haha.

No, Jen, I should be going, I might not be going if I booked too late. I knew I should have booked in August when I first spotted the website. :p:

Good idea about the VLA. They have centres all over the country, don't they?

Haha, stress. I'm beyond stress. Chemistry is just eurgh. :woo: And I have Maths assessments almost every week when we finish a chapter. :frown: I suppose they're not too bad though.

(I do this a lot)
gernumblies

No, Jen, I should be going, I might not be going if I booked too late. I knew I should have booked in August when I first spotted the website. :p:

Good idea about the VLA. They have centres all over the country, don't they?

Haha, stress. I'm beyond stress. Chemistry is just eurgh. :woo: And I have Maths assessments almost every week when we finish a chapter. :frown: I suppose they're not too bad though.

(I do this a lot)

:yep: Amen. I don't mind chem too much, but maths.. :eek: . I took one look at differentiation and decided I'd have to marry rich, lol.

Emms123

I got most of mine through contacts cos my dad's a farmer, but I did get my piggy placement via the vets that I work at. If you have a good relationship with your local vets it might be worth asking, although not sure if they'd dish out contact details to whoever cos of confidentiality reasons and all that shizz. Might be worth a shot though as they're bound to know loads of friendly farmers. :p:

Failing that you could just lurk around an auction mart on a tup sale day and then try and sweet talk a vulnerable farmer into letting you do w/e?
Reply 65
gernumblies

there was a dead line?? tell the it was the postal strike if they complain lol :p: ah chem is awful maths currently is alright but binomials are fricking evil!!
Reply 66
mydearthing
Differentiation

Differentiation? I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :p:
nessa101
there was a dead line?? tell the it was the postal strike if they complain lol :p: ah chem is awful maths currently is alright but binomials are fricking evil!!

I don't know if there was, it was just mentioned on the Vet Medlink thread. :s-smilie:
Hey, I seem to be late in joining in on this very early thread haha! I'm Danielle :smile: And hoping to study vet medicine in 2011. Man it seems so far away, but seeing this thread and getting UCAS lectures and what not at school makes it also seem scarily close! I had a meeting with an army officer about vet med cadetship/jobs last week and he basically planned my life out for the next almost ten years, with where I would be and what not. I was like, calm it, I can't even drive yet! Random pointless story. So how is everyone? Enjoying being back at school?
Reply 68
MySweetheartTheDrunk
Hey, I seem to be late in joining in on this very early thread haha! I'm Danielle :smile: And hoping to study vet medicine in 2011. Man it seems so far away, but seeing this thread and getting UCAS lectures and what not at school makes it also seem scarily close! I had a meeting with an army officer about vet med cadetship/jobs last week and he basically planned my life out for the next almost ten years, with where I would be and what not. I was like, calm it, I can't even drive yet! Random pointless story. So how is everyone? Enjoying being back at school?

:hi: Hi Danielle.

Don't you have to do 5 or 6 years compulsory work in the army after graduating? I think I heard that somewhere, but then if you quit the army before that time is up, you have to pay back the money you were subisidised. :confused: Seems like such a long time! :woo:

School is crazy. :p:

PS. :woo: Vet Medlink have sent a confirmation e-mail! I'm going! :woo:

... :smile: I'll be quiet now.
Reply 69
gernumblies
:PS. :woo: Vet Medlink have sent a confirmation e-mail! I'm going! :woo:

Wahheyyy! lol
Reply 70
Thanks for farm w/e advice, I think some people in my year have farms so I'll talk to them :P
Reply 71
hey.

Im Tom, and yep imma gnna apply for 2011 vetmed entry hopefully at Cambs, RVC, Notts and Bristol.

And ima going VetMed Link!!
I'm hoping to apply too.

Got my sights set on Cambridge.
All A's and A*s at GCSE and I think I'm predicted all A's at AS too.

I'm just worried I won't have enough work experience.
I've had a job at a stables for a couple of years now - think I might need a little more variation though :P

I'm also doing Ved-Med Link :smile:
Reply 73
what will the vet schools think about my job relief milking 100 holsteins?? by myself.
Mooseyboy
what will the vet schools think about my job relief milking 100 holsteins?? by myself.

They'll looooooooooove it. :p:
MySweetheartTheDrunk

heya, I'm Jen. :o: School is terrible.. I'm already behind on work, and its soooooooo much harder than last year. :woo: How you finding it? I know all this uni stuff is scary... my mum was telling me last night that I'd be sending my application this time next year, and I was like woah, so close.

Good news tho, just booked tickets to see Calvin Harris. :biggrin: And I've never seen him live! wooowooooooooooo!

Yay for all you vet medlink people. :rolleyes: Jealous much.
Reply 76
Mooseyboy
hey.

Im Tom, and yep imma gnna apply for 2011 vetmed entry hopefully at Cambs, RVC, Notts and Bristol.

And ima going VetMed Link!!
:hi: Hey Tom!
Mooseyboy
Sounds great. I'd kill for dairy work. Stupid Nottinghamshire, hardly any cows within at least 20 miles of me. :frown:
mydearthing
They'll looooooooooove it. :p:

:withstupid:
mydearthing
heya, I'm Jen. :o: School is terrible.. I'm already behind on work, and its soooooooo much harder than last year. :woo: How you finding it? I know all this uni stuff is scary... my mum was telling me last night that I'd be sending my application this time next year, and I was like woah, so close.

Good news tho, just booked tickets to see Calvin Harris. :biggrin: And I've never seen him live! wooowooooooooooo!

Yay for all you vet medlink people. :rolleyes: Jealous much.

So you're definitely not going? :frown: That's a shame. We'll tell you what happens when we go. (I won't leave you in the dark at least. :p: )

Calvin Harris! Cool. :cool: When you going?
InvisibleNoise
I'm hoping to apply too.

Got my sights set on Cambridge.
All A's and A*s at GCSE and I think I'm predicted all A's at AS too.

I'm just worried I won't have enough work experience.
I've had a job at a stables for a couple of years now - think I might need a little more variation though :P

I'm also doing Ved-Med Link :smile:

:hi: Hello!

Everyone on here seems to be getting the work experience I need! (By the way, do get a bit more variety. :p: )

The Vet Med-Link people are coming out of the woodwork slowly. It'll be fun to meet you in 9 weeks time!
Reply 77
i cannot wait for VML. Gonna be great!

cant wait to see all of you there, it will be the year 12 vetty meeting of the year!

what are others like on work exp cuz im not sure bout mine...i gottt:
- 4 weeks small animal vet and also every tuesday which is gnna build up
- 1 week mixed practise
- 5 weeks lambing
- 4 weeks milking
- job as a relief herdsman milking 100 holstiensss
- 1 week falconry centre

what else should i get?

and i have written a PS, can i send it to someone vetty who is in to read over and send back?

x
kennels/cattery, stables are pretty much the only other important ones.
Reply 79
Mooseyboy- I will happily read through your very early PS, but the only thing i'd say would be don't set your heart on this being THE one, maybe extract good bits from it and be prepared to 'rewrite' come may/june time, who knows what will change/what exciting things you might see in the coming year.
Your work exp sounds great, as anna said above get kennels/cattery/stables as they;'re pretty important, then just keep accumulating the stuff you've got and maybe as you've prob got time aim for a more unusual placem,ent eg abattoir/zoo/vet lab?

InvisibleNoise-although you've got a good start i'd recommend a wider variety or work exp, especially to begin with actually in a vets practice as that's very important! Cambridge is probably least worried about work exp, but i would say every where else, good work exp is as important as good academic.

Hope all's well with everyone :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending