The Student Room Group

My Mum Just Attacked Me Whilst I Was Driving - Seriously!

Hello,
I am really shaken up and don't know what to do.
I have just graduated from university and had to move back home with parents as a years worth of graduate scheme job hunting has boiled down to nothing. Anyway this is making me a bit anxious and nervous about things but still, I didn't deserve what was coming to me.
I told my Mum I had a job interview 100 miles away (my bf lives down south) and she started having a go about where will you move? It's not worth it etcetc and being negative and I said I was a bit fed up with her jumping down my throat about jobs which arent exactly within the 10 mile radius that she seems to think is ok.
Whilst driving her home, she was getting nasty and I said can she never be positive. I also laid into her about how she rips me apart about my dress sense being bad (when it's not) and just putting me down all the time despite being an A grade student and doing loads of jobs and being a good daughter and that was THAT.
She literally punched me about 10 times, was dragging me and shouting right in my face, it was scary and this was when I WAS DRIVING. I had to brake the car suddenly and she opened the door whilst it was moving.
She has just walked through the door pretending to be sweet as pie to my Dad but I am absolutely disgusted!!! He isn't listening. I know this is all immature sounding but literally nobody should do that whilst somebody is driving. I could have killed somebody and I nearly crashed into somebody else!
Im so so so incredibly upset.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maybe she didn't like the road that she thought you were going down.

But yeah that was bad, it would drive me nuts.
Wow, crazy woman :| [no offence]
I think you should try to talk to her again probably at home where there's no chances of you killing people with your car. She shouldn't have punched you especially while you were driving. But i'm sure she has the best intentions at heart. Think it through and do what you think is right :smile:
Reply 3
Not really much you can do, if it was me i would just go to the police and press charges, its really that or try to talk to them
Reply 4
Oh my God :frown: that sounds awful. Thank God I have nice parents, I can't imagine what that must be like. Do you have any siblings? Does she treat them the same? I would confide in someone like a friend or maybe ask your doctor if she could refer you to a counsellor, surely that must count as domestic abuse?

I understand if you don't want to do anything drastic like inform the police because it could tear your family apart if she was arrested for assault but it's still worth considering. If I were you I would do anything to move out as soon as possible whether that was moving in with a friend or just keeping out of her way until you find a job and rent somewhere. No wonder you want to move so far away :hugs:
Reply 5
Rhys~
Not really much you can do, if it was me i would just go to the police and press charges, its really that or try to talk to them

Agreed.
I'm not going to lie, I sorta laughed at this but i guess because i've never been in this situation before :s-smilie:. I guess you could either press charges or talk to her about her anger issues
Dont press charges, I think its silly to do that.

Some women go mental sometime and it can be due to stress in their life, some of which you don't know about. She may have magnified what you said to mean that she was a bad mom.

It is likely she will calm down and apologise but I am sorry you had to go through that.
move out. fast.
raspberryice
move out. fast.

Sorry, off topic, but I love your Chemistry joke :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 10
raspberryice
move out. fast.

This. Also, I'd refuse to drive her anywhere again.
Reply 11
run over your dad. That would show her. Kind of.
Reply 12
NO she should not have done that she could have killed you both or someone else in an accident and why cant she realise you have done well and let you do what you want? Surely your old enough to make your own decisions.
Reply 13
GCSEMan
Good.

Next time tell her to abort you 17 years earlier.

You've quite a knack for this networking business, haven't you! :yep:
Reply 14
Damn....your mamma's crazzzy :eek3:
Ever thought about telling your dad about it?
You should have stopped the car and told her to gtfo.
Reply 17
Stricof
Ever thought about telling your dad about it?

Told him. He didn't say anything. He is just as mad. They are both unreasonable.
Reply 18
Anonymous
Hello,
I am really shaken up and don't know what to do.
I have just graduated from university and had to move back home with parents as a years worth of graduate scheme job hunting has boiled down to nothing. Anyway this is making me a bit anxious and nervous about things but still, I didn't deserve what was coming to me.
I told my Mum I had a job interview 100 miles away (my bf lives down south) and she started having a go about where will you move? It's not worth it etcetc and being negative and I said I was a bit fed up with her jumping down my throat about jobs which arent exactly within the 10 mile radius that she seems to think is ok.
Whilst driving her home, she was getting nasty and I said can she never be positive. I also laid into her about how she rips me apart about my dress sense being bad (when it's not) and just putting me down all the time despite being an A grade student and doing loads of jobs and being a good daughter and that was THAT.
She literally punched me about 10 times, was dragging me and shouting right in my face, it was scary and this was when I WAS DRIVING. I had to brake the car suddenly and she opened the door whilst it was moving.
She has just walked through the door pretending to be sweet as pie to my Dad but I am absolutely disgusted!!! He isn't listening. I know this is all immature sounding but literally nobody should do that whilst somebody is driving. I could have killed somebody and I nearly crashed into somebody else!
Im so so so incredibly upset.

My mother has done the same thing to me. I was on my way to my driving test and she had lately been having really weird mood swings where she'd just turn completely psycho for literally no reason. So I was really stressed out because I didn't think I was ready for my test. She kept shouting at me like last minute to turn into these roads and when I didn't because it was too late she'd scream and shout at me about how stupid I was. We couldn't find where we were supposed to be going either. And she just kept shouting at me and making really nasty comments. , out of nowhere, she just started wacking me in the face and she wouldn't stop, i was driving and I managed to stop by the side of the road. She spoke to me like I was a piece of **** and it was my own fault that she'd decided to start beating me whilst I drive. Screamed at me to get out the car because so she could drive. It was completely horrible and I blame her entirely, she carried on acting wierd for a couple more months. For example, one time she came home and lost it because no one had gotten around to taking the bin out. The place wasn't a mess or anything, it was just the bin. So she'd scream and shout and smash glass bottles into a bin bag. And it would come from nowhere. She's back to normal now. I don't know why your mum lost it with you but my mother told me that she'd just wanted me to shut up. Which made no sense because she kept instigating these hateful comments which I would respond to, and I didn't respond by being nasty back, I'd just point out that she was being out of order. Perhaps it was the same for you. It was weird though. Maybe you're our mums were having some sort of mid life crisis?

I don't know what to say about your dad, he's not really the one you should be talking to. I think you should go and ask your mum, whilst she's alone, why the hell she thought it was ok to attack you whilst you were driving no less. That's all I can suggest. Maybe once things have calmed down a bit you can talk and sort it out.
Anonymous
Told him. He didn't say anything. He is just as mad. They are both unreasonable.
:frown: Guess you need a nice hug and a good job to whisk you away eh..
Perhaps you should consider finding a postgrad university and try getting funding/scholarship/bursaries for the course? That way you can enhance job oppourtinities...
Otherwise, go for the job - if it's good. Go for it and tell mum to give you support in whatever you do (or alternatively tell her to **** off if she has a go at you again?).
Perhaps talking to mum while shes happier would solve things; or at least make sense of things. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending