The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GodspeedGehenna
Hmm.. Okay. You must have a clone wandering around then. Saw someone who looked identical to you.

I didn't see anybody who looked like her :beard:
icantthinkofacoolusername
I didn't see anybody who looked like her :beard:

:teeth:
Reply 42
I hate the fact we have to apply through UCAS again!

Everything again!
Reply 43
GodspeedGehenna
Got my three day placement in A&E, theatre and orthopaedics soon. Then literally straight after I have a week long placement elsewhere doing god-knows what. Should be interesting.

Id love that placement hope you enjoy it

Nutta!
I hate the fact we have to apply through UCAS again!

Everything again!

It sucks doesnt it - you decided where your going to apply to yet!
Reply 44
Just a quick question...

I have a 2.1 in Modern History and Politics, BBBa A level (economics, english, history,politics)

Want to apply for Medicine next year, so would be applying for 2011 entry - If I were to take on A2 Biology this year (already have AS) and full 2 yr course in Chem, am I going to be looked at or thrown aside? is it too unconventional? As I'd only have a AS in chem by the time i'm applying...

Thanks for your help!
Reply 45
Is anyone else completely at their wit's end about the looming GAMSAT exam? I didn't know where to start revising and I'm still a bit stuck on just about.... everything!
Reply 46
xiao_ling
Is anyone else completely at their wit's end about the looming GAMSAT exam? I didn't know where to start revising and I'm still a bit stuck on just about.... everything!

me and ive got a year left to revise - whens yours
Reply 47
brokenangel
me and ive got a year left to revise - whens yours

Lucky! I didn't realise the GAMSAT was so hard. I only knew about it before the deadline (that's when I realised I wanted to study medicine too)....

Mine's this Friday hahaha, I think it's going to go quite bad... especially as I'm so bad at english and didn't do Chemistry or Physics at A Level :s-smilie:
Reply 48
xiao_ling
Lucky! I didn't realise the GAMSAT was so hard. I only knew about it before the deadline (that's when I realised I wanted to study medicine too)....

Mine's this Friday hahaha, I think it's going to go quite bad... especially as I'm so bad at english and didn't do Chemistry or Physics at A Level :s-smilie:

Ouch - i hate the english section. Id like to know what it has to do with medicine aswell.
brokenangel
Ouch - i hate the english section. Id like to know what it has to do with medicine aswell.

Its good news for me though, I rock at writing essays and love English :love:
But good luck to you guys, I hope you pass it :smile:
Reply 50
AutVinceriAutMori
Its good news for me though, I rock at writing essays and love English
But good luck to you guys, I hope you pass it :smile:

You should get a really good score then with your degree and actually liking it. I dont mind the essay part it analysing the poem that I hate!
brokenangel
You should get a really good score then with your degree and actually liking it. I dont mind the essay part it analysing the poem that I hate!

OOOh, analysis of poems :coma: It was my favourite module in English Lang & Lit :biggrin: But let's see, I am scared about my degree too, what if I don't get a first or 2.2? Chem is damn hard, I love it, but is it enough?
Oh well, time will show
Reply 52
I've always sucked at essay writing. Though I can write scientifically now due to my degree! Unfortunately i've always had my thesaurus on hand when i write them so I can sound clever!! this exam is going to kill me.... I hated english lit and language ><
Anyway, back on topic :p:

I spent 12 hrs in A&E yesterday and all day today in Endoscopy. My feet ache like hell.

On the plus side, scrubs are comfy as anything.
GodspeedGehenna

I spent 12 hrs in A&E yesterday and all day today in Endoscopy. My feet ache like hell.

That IS keen :p:.

Yes, they are perfect PJs!
digitalis
That IS keen :p:.

Yes, they are perfect PJs!

I must admit, I was tempted to nab me a pair for sleepin'.
GodspeedGehenna

How did you go about organising that? Did you phone/email the receptionist or did you have contacts? I've heard of operating theartres where you can watch operations I'd love to spend a few days just doing that, would be great to write about in PS.
jbyrne1989
How did you go about organising that? Did you phone/email the receptionist or did you have contacts? I've heard of operating theaters where you can watch operations I'd love to spend a few days just doing that, would be great to write about in PS.

Frankly, it is not the best work experience. It is for :woo: I feel like a doctor! feel good factor, but not real medicine work experience.

If I could tailor my dream pre-applicant work experience, it would be:

1.) Big teaching hospital-spend like 4 days following the F1 on an acute medicine/surgical firm. You won't be cutting for a gooooooood few years after your qualify, so you might as well get an idea of how the ward/firm works and all the "scut" work (to steal an American phrase) that the juniors have to do.

2.) Try and do an on-call, to see how the SHOs/reg's handle sick patients in the middle of the night, with a lot less support than the day.

3.) Spend some time in A&E, busy A&E shows you a lot of the interaction between the medical/nursing/support staff as well as a constant flow of interesting patients.

4.) Spend some time as a HCA/CSW doing nursing work.

5.) First aid work-St. John, private contractors-get some "independent practice"
Reply 58
digitalis
Frankly, it is not the best work experience. It is for I feel like a doctor! feel good factor, but not real medicine work experience.

If I could tailor my dream pre-applicant work experience, it would be:

1.) Big teaching hospital-spend like 4 days following the F1 on an acute medicine/surgical firm. You won't be cutting for a gooooooood few years after your qualify, so you might as well get an idea of how the ward/firm works and all the "scut" work (to steal an American phrase) that the juniors have to do.

2.) Try and do an on-call, to see how the SHOs/reg's handle sick patients in the middle of the night, with a lot less support than the day!

3.) Spend some time in A&E, busy A&E shows you a lot of the interaction between the medical/nursing/support staff as well as a constant flow of interesting patients.

4.) Spend some time as a HCA/CSW doing nursing work.

5.) First aid work-St. John, private contractors-get some "independent practice"

:frown: A&E work experiance just doesnt happen round here - wish it did
Reply 59
brokenangel
:frown: A&E work experiance just doesnt happen round here - wish it did

It's hard to find A&E experience but I did a week in ICU. Got to go on ward rounds and watch 2 operations, open heart ones! You just have to persevere and email a lot of people. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending