The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rejection from newcastle just come through...
Original post by lcsurfer

Oh no... :frown: Sorry to hear it, who are you still waiting on?

Did you have an interview with them or was it a rejection without interview?

Chin up :smile:
Original post by lcsurfer

Sorry to hear that :frown:

Best of luck in your Warwick interview :smile:
Reply 9703
Original post by apotoftea
I have :smile:

Ah brilliant. I am only looking for section 3 related stuff, what is it that you have? Also, did you find it any use? I keep reading contradictory statements online about the majority of GAMSAT prep materials, and they all cost so much so I am very wary of spending a lot of money on them. Thanks for replying!
Reply 9704
Original post by mole99
Ah brilliant. I am only looking for section 3 related stuff, what is it that you have? Also, did you find it any use? I keep reading contradictory statements online about the majority of GAMSAT prep materials, and they all cost so much so I am very wary of spending a lot of money on them. Thanks for replying!

I would recommend 'Organic Chemistry for Dummies', which deals with some very complex principles in an accessible way. I think I paid about £7 for it from Amazon.
Reply 9705
Original post by HLS
I would recommend 'Organic Chemistry for Dummies', which deals with some very complex principles in an accessible way. I think I paid about £7 for it from Amazon.

Thanks, I have that book and find it really useful, it's more the graphical and statistical analysis in the Bio questions I had trouble with the first time round. I think doing practice papers would be the best way to improve, and I know the ACER ones back to front now! Does anyone know which other practice papers are the worth buying?
Good luck for the people attending the warwick selection centre from monday! Don't be too nervous - it's a pretty chilled affair.
Original post by Bob Kelso
Oh no... :frown: Sorry to hear it, who are you still waiting on?

Did you have an interview with them or was it a rejection without interview?

Chin up :smile:

Ive got an interview at Warwick - which is the place i really really want to go to!
I was just a straight rejection. Knew it was coming to be honest, i have been set on warwick med school for a long time :biggrin:
Imperial offer! :smile:
Original post by FrenziedPenguin

Wow. Congrats, you really are on a roll. :smile:

Well done just wondering what are your stats? UKCAT, Volunteering etc
Reply 9711

Well done!
Reply 9712
Original post by mole99
Thanks, I have that book and find it really useful, it's more the graphical and statistical analysis in the Bio questions I had trouble with the first time round. I think doing practice papers would be the best way to improve, and I know the ACER ones back to front now! Does anyone know which other practice papers are the worth buying?

Aren't ACER in the process of producing new ones? Or have I imagined that?
Reply 9713
Incidentally it was nice to see some of you yesterday at Bury! Really looking forward to it all now :smile:
Original post by Doctor.
Well done just wondering what are your stats? UKCAT, Volunteering etc

Thanks, I have a 2.1 if Life Sciences from the Open University which I gained whilst working in a public sector role (not healthcare).

I spent just over a year volunteering at a local hospice about once a fortnight, I also spent a week shadowing surgeons on an orthopaedic team. I've also been involved in a couple of youth groups and projects.

My UKCAT was 765 av, scores in the range 740-800.
My GAMSAT (for SGUL) was 79

My reference was a bit of a worry because I initially got a reference from my supervisor at work but I was then asked for an academic reference. Obviously being an OU student my tutors had actually never met me!

I applied to;
Imperial - Offer
Oxford - Rejection Pre-Interview
Kings - Offer
St Georges - Interviewed - Waiting

Thats about it in summary, If you want to no anything else please ask.

I applied to;
Imperial - Offer
Kings - Offer

Well done on the Imperial offer!

What's your first choice?
Reply 9716
Thanks, I have a 2.1 if Life Sciences from the Open University which I gained whilst working in a public sector role (not healthcare).

I spent just over a year volunteering at a local hospice about once a fortnight, I also spent a week shadowing surgeons on an orthopaedic team. I've also been involved in a couple of youth groups and projects.

My UKCAT was 765 av, scores in the range 740-800.
My GAMSAT (for SGUL) was 79

My reference was a bit of a worry because I initially got a reference from my supervisor at work but I was then asked for an academic reference. Obviously being an OU student my tutors had actually never met me!

I applied to;
Imperial - Offer
Kings - Offer

Thats about it in summary, If you want to no anything else please ask.

Do you know where you'll go?

Of the four I'd take Kings, purely because of the location of the main hospital and teaching facilities (heart of London - wonderful hospital).

Well done either way, from a fellow OU graduate.
Original post by HLS

Of the four I'd take Kings, purely because of the location of the main hospital and teaching facilities (heart of London - wonderful hospital).

Is the King's med school not based at Denmark Hill then?

Congrats to all of you with offers, whilst I'm back in History land, I still keep an eye on this thread to see how you're all getting on :biggrin:
Reply 9718
Original post by apotoftea
Is the King's med school not based at Denmark Hill then?

Congrats to all of you with offers, whilst I'm back in History land, I still keep an eye on this thread to see how you're all getting on :biggrin:

Well, beside the Embankment and just down the river from Westminster. I thought it was based in Guy's.
Original post by nearlybled2death
Well done on the Imperial offer!

What's your first choice?

Original post by HLS

Thanks everyone, When I started applying Imperial was my first choice but I don't plan to make any choices for a while. I've got alot of questions first! Good to see another OU grad, there were so many people talking about schools like Imperial and Kings taking mainly Oxbridge grads. I'm glad that it wasn't the case.

HLS, I agree that the Guy's campus is amazing but after year 1 I could end up in any number of hospitals across London and Kent!

Latest

Trending

Trending