The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adsyrah
This!

Though the financial aspects to going back to uni are really playing on my mind at the moment... Not entirely sure how going from a comfortably paid job to student life is going to work :/

yeah that must be difficult! I've got a job offer for next year that i have to reply too by 18th March, so i want to know if i am in or not so i can start organising a place to live, finances etc
were are you looking to go for med school?
Original post by lcsurfer
yeah that must be difficult! I've got a job offer for next year that i have to reply too by 18th March, so i want to know if i am in or not so i can start organising a place to live, finances etc
were are you looking to go for med school?

Warwick is definitely my first preference as it's close to family and my bf.

But having spoken to one of the chaperones at the assessment centre, it sounds as though travel around the area to hospitals is a ball-ache. Running a car isn't an option as it's so expensive :angry:
Original post by adsyrah

But having spoken to one of the chaperones at the assessment centre, it sounds as though travel around the area to hospitals is a ball-ache. Running a car isn't an option as it's so expensive :angry:

yeah the warwick uni is technically in Coventry.
They go to rugby, nuneaton and coventry hospitals mainly but GP clinics are all over the place... If i live at home for Warwick next year I'll run my car, theydo reimburse you for travel i think :/
Original post by adsyrah

It's actually not that bad. I live in Coventry and can bus it to the main teaching hospital door-to-door. In addition, it's always very easy to carshare. I don't think anyone has had any major problems.
Original post by HLS
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Also, the thought of taking on another £40,000 of debt is somewhat offputting.

Definitely this... I am not looking forward to more debt and having to work up to SpR level to get back to my current wages but hey, it'll be worth it in the end (I hope)!

Thankfully everyone I work with knows about my change in career and are really supportive. I just want to leave now! Am taking a full month off to move house, chill out and read in parks before starting in Sept (well late Aug) and am currently hating work so want to stop now!
Original post by nearlybled2death
Definitely this... I am not looking forward to more debt and having to work up to SpR level to get back to my current wages but hey, it'll be worth it in the end (I hope)!

Thankfully everyone I work with knows about my change in career and are really supportive. I just want to leave now! Am taking a full month off to move house, chill out and read in parks before starting in Sept (well late Aug) and am currently hating work so want to stop now!

I have just looked at the student loans calculators and NHS bursary calculators to see how much I would be entitled to if SGUL do actually give me an offer.

1st Year - Maintenance Loan of 7675
2nd - 4th Year - Maintenance Loan of 3263, NHS Grant of 1000 and NHS Bursary of 4664 - Total = 8927

I have a bit put away in my savings but that level of income is quite frightening considering the price of rent in Tooting! Add in the Tuition Fee Loans of 5625 a year and my total debt burden totals almost 40k exactly. Scary.

Glad to hear that your colleagues are being supportive, it has got out in my workplace now after I had to ask for a reference for the SGUL application. Everyone has been really supportive, they have even let me see a couple of Consultant interviews! I must admit that motivation is hard to come by though, particularly when in this state of limbo! If all goes well I plan to finish at the end of July and go travelling for a month in August to somewhere hot, considering South America tbh. Yes I know I have just been worrying about financing the course but I'll be damned if I am going to wait another 5 years for a holiday!! :colondollar:
Original post by Bob Kelso

I have a bit put away in my savings but that level of income is quite frightening considering the price of rent in Tooting!

Tooting's quite cheap considering the location to be honest :smile:
for those of you applying to student finance for the maintainence loan... ive just entered my parents details and even though i should be entitled to a loan it says £0... anybody else had similar issues?
Original post by Type1_Neuro
I meant to say conditional OFFERS, my mistake. Are you an undergraduate still?

I was still awaiting my final results when I sat the interview, my degree is with the OU so term dates dont really exist. I ended up with a conditional offer.
Original post by ob.is.a.bit.good
for those of you applying to student finance for the maintainence loan... ive just entered my parents details and even though i should be entitled to a loan it says £0... anybody else had similar issues?

Ignore the online calculator it always says 0. You need to wait until a real person assesses your application.
I have a Pre Placement Assessment for a HCA role with the NHS tomorrow. Does anyone know what this will involve? I won't have to have any jabs will I?
Original post by byebyebadman
I have a Pre Placement Assessment for a HCA role with the NHS tomorrow. Does anyone know what this will involve? I won't have to have any jabs will I?

Maybe not tomorrow, but you may well need to have jabs in the near future depending on where you're placed.

For the volunteering I'm doing at the moment in hospital I've had to attend Occupational Health to test whether I'm immune to / vaccinated against certain things. I've been vaccinated against most things in the past (Hepatitis at uni), but TB is the one I'm not sure about so, as it's a requirement in the hospital all staff are vaccinated, I'm undergoing tests at the moment with the view I'll require the BCG vaccine.

IIRC - you'll more than likely have to be vaccinated when you study to become a doctor, so may as well get it over and done with!
Reply 9832
Original post by byebyebadman

Are you sure it's an occupational health type thing? DOnt forget your vaccination documents! Can be a bit of a hassle otherwise. Also, bring your passport or driving license - my work checked my ID at every stage before I started work.
Well done on getting the job!
Eeeek!

Looks like Southampton graduate entry offers are starting to come through...
Reply 9834
oh god. I'd just about managed to forget about checking my emails. heart is all a flutter - they'd better not take weeks to get them out!
Original post by Emerald Rose
Ooh hello yes, see you there! What time's yours? I'm at 9.30 :frown:

Sorry about the horrendously late reply! Mines at 11.10!

And I'm so glad mine's not that early, can't deal with early mornings AND travelling! lol
Looks like Leicester GEP offers are trickling through too.
Reply 9837
Original post by select the right name
Looks like Leicester GEP offers are trickling through too.

If Soton are starting to get back to people then I think that is probably record time. They usually take ages.

Not heard owt here yet.
Original post by Dickie Snapples
Offer from Imperial!!!

PhD Pharmacy (Nottingham)

So we can do Dr Dr jokes about you in a few years :biggrin:
Reply 9839
i got leicester gep offer today! thank god. such a relief.

Latest

Trending

Trending