The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hello,
applying to some unis for graduate entry mdicine. dunno where.
Hi...I'll join...
I'm applying to Newcastle 5yr, UEA 5 yr, Warwick 4 yr, BSMS 5yr.
silly question, was chatting to f2 today, and he did graduate scheme and had his undergrad at derby, SOMEONE once told me you're better going to a more 'reputable' uni, how true is this?
Subcutaneous
silly question, was chatting to f2 today, and he did graduate scheme and had his undergrad at derby, SOMEONE once told me you're better going to a more 'reputable' uni, how true is this?

are you saying he did his first degree or his med degree at derby? the nottingham graduate entry medicine course is based in derby, it has nothing to do with derby university. as to your question, it shouldnt matter which uni you go to, you will still come out with a medical degree. reputation may matter to some people, but luckily they arent the people who choose whether you get a job after you graduate. :smile:
man got a 677.5 in the 'cat. wondering where the damn thread was for comparing what universities take this score?
coldmountain
man got a 677.5 in the 'cat. wondering where the damn thread was for comparing what universities take this score?

Dont use the suggested values for definate as it depends what the other applicants have got
Subcutaneous

The Nottingham graduate entry course is based at Derby for the first two years. Nottingham is a perfectly reputable university.
IndiePixie
The Nottingham graduate entry course is based at Derby for the first two years. Nottingham is a perfectly reputable university.

no no no

he did his undergrad degree at DERBY university, before doing the graduate medical degree
Subcutaneous
no no no

he did his undergrad degree at DERBY university, before doing the graduate medical degree

Ahh, I see. I can't see where he got his non-medical undergraduate degree from making too much of a difference. There are a couple of points in the Foundation Programme application for previous (or intercalated) degrees but the points are for the degree and not the uni they are from.
Reply 109
Hey - I am in a MASSIVE dilemna - I took the ukcat on Wednesday and got a 605 average abstract reasoning really let me down and for the quantitative reasoning, I had to guess lots because the timing was sooo tight arghhh even though I bought that damn 600q book and practised!

I am soooo gutted.

I am a Biochemistry student in my third year and now worrying where to apply, should I completely scrap applying to 4 yr courses?

Should I consider BSMS? and is Kings and Queen Mary's COMPLETELY out of the question even for the 5yr course (I was never planning to apply for the 4yr anyway) but now thats NOT going to happen lol....

I keep hearing "cut-off" rumours for Kings and Queen Mary's however I was wondering whether this is the same procedure for graduate applicants applying for the 5 yr course?

quite miserable and would appreciate any advice - I really want to apply to at least ONE in London - damn...this UKCAT has ruined my plans!
fivefour
Hey - I am in a MASSIVE dilemna - I took the ukcat on Wednesday and got a 605 average abstract reasoning really let me down and for the quantitative reasoning, I had to guess lots because the timing was sooo tight arghhh even though I bought that damn 600q book and practised!

I am soooo gutted.

I am a Biochemistry student in my third year and now worrying where to apply, should I completely scrap applying to 4 yr courses?

Should I consider BSMS? and is Kings and Queen Mary's COMPLETELY out of the question even for the 5yr course (I was never planning to apply for the 4yr anyway) but now thats NOT going to happen lol....

I keep hearing "cut-off" rumours for Kings and Queen Mary's however I was wondering whether this is the same procedure for graduate applicants applying for the 5 yr course?

quite miserable and would appreciate any advice - I really want to apply to at least ONE in London - damn...this UKCAT has ruined my plans!

Try Bristol, which dont have entrance test, or Birmingham ( if you have a first?) Not sure about the UKCAt weight in universities, I think they vary sometimes :dontknow:
Reply 111
Hoping for 2010 entry. Still haven't sent off my application! Waiting for my reference and have to narrow down 6 choices to 4.
Where should i try with a UKCAT score of 640?
My only options are:
Warwick
Newcastle
Imperial
QM
KCL
Southampton - definitely want to apply
med121
Hoping for 2010 entry. Still haven't sent off my application! Waiting for my reference and have to narrow down 6 choices to 4.
Where should i try with a UKCAT score of 640?
My only options are:
Warwick
Newcastle
Imperial
QM
KCL
Southampton - definitely want to apply

Why restricted options, just out of curiosity?
Reply 113
AutVinceriAutMori
Why restricted options, just out of curiosity?

Leicester wanted one year's paid work in a caring environment which i don't have. Also, since this was a relatively late decision, i missed the deadline for GAMSAT. My UKCAT probably isn't good enough, but i'm going to give it a shot anyway!:smile:
med121
Leicester wanted one year's paid work in a caring environment which i don't have.

Do they? Is this mentioned on their website anywhere or did you email them?
Reply 115
Do kings have any special requirements for the 5yr course regarding UKCAT?I can't find any? :/
GodspeedGehenna

They say significant experience working in a caring role. I thnk in the past they have put a year limit on this and so there's some confusion around it now. I'd say that now they just say significant experience they're giving people the chance to swing what they have done in their favour - I think they want to see what you've gained from your experience more than the fact you've done it for a long time. That being said, I think it would be hard to get what I would call significant experience in a period of time much less than a year in total, especially if you're not doing it as a full time job.
Reply 117
GodspeedGehenna

I emailed them and that's what they said :frown:
med121
Leicester wanted one year's paid work in a caring environment which i don't have. Also, since this was a relatively late decision, i missed the deadline for GAMSAT. My UKCAT probably isn't good enough, but i'm going to give it a shot anyway!:smile:

All the best! My choices will be rather restricted too, as i only just started my first year in Chemistry- quite a lot of universities want a life scince discipline :p:
icantthinkofacoolusername
They say significant experience working in a caring role. I thnk in the past they have put a year limit on this and so there's some confusion around it now. I'd say that now they just say significant experience they're giving people the chance to swing what they have done in their favour - I think they want to see what you've gained from your experience more than the fact you've done it for a long time. That being said, I think it would be hard to get what I would call significant experience in a period of time much less than a year in total, especially if you're not doing it as a full time job.

It's more the fact that they specifiy paid experience, to be honest. As much as I would love to get a HCA job or similar, it's pretty difficult when you can only offer part-time hours.

Latest

Trending

Trending