The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Imperial... UCL... not much to choose from really.

I initially put down UCL on my UCAS form and BMAT entry but changed it to Imperial the day before the deadline. Not much difference between the two, like I said, and I'd ignore people who say one is better than the other because it's simply not true.

sunspoon
Come to Imperial so we can thrash you at varsity :smile:

I'll have you know that lemon is a one man army :p:
Toiletpaper8

I'll have you know that lemon is a one man army :p:

which comes fully equipped with its own white flag :p:
becca2389
As someone who was in the same situation:

UCL is cheaper. London is always expensive, but Imperial's location means both the uni's halls and the private accommodation is really expensive. (My ex has a 3 bed house in Baron's Court and it's costing him £160 a week + transport costs) You can live somewhere else of course, but that's a lot of hassle. Around Camden you can get places from £100-120 a week fairly easily. There's also a lot more supermarkets, corner shops and general amenities around UCL, plus you're within walking distance of all the clubs, pubs, theatres and so on around Piccadilly, as well as the British Library.

Social life will be what you make of it. Both universities have plenty of bars and events, balls and whatnot. Imperial as a whole isn't sociable, but the medics are so you'll not be short of mates. Both have a huge range of clubs and societies, and both have medics-only societies and sports teams. Imperial's good at rugby if you're into that.

Academically they're so similar you can't draw much of a line between them. Both are renowned for medical research, not that that matters much. Both do compulsory intercalated BScs. Both are very academic courses with a big emphasis on learning lots of pointless detail in preclinics so they'll appeal to anyone who's a closet geek. They both do dissection.

I can't comment on Imperial's hospitals and facilities. UCL has lots of institutes, Great Ormond Street and the National. This will probably have no effect on you because most people don't get near them, but there is the option of making contacts through BSc projects and if you're lucky enough to have a placement there.

I don't know who you want to "recognise" your med school. In the world of medicine, most people will have heard of both (not that that makes much of a difference really). In terms of ordinary people on the street, most of them will have heard of neither.

I hovered between the two for ages, but eventually went for UCL because of gut instinct and because I didn't really want to go to a university dedicated only to science.

Well said. rep
Reply 83
Democracy

Did you check to see which forum you're posting in? Did you even read the first post? :rolleyes:

Sorry I meant it as a joke lol. They never come across on the net I guess lol. I know the OP wants to do Medicine I was just saying if s/he wants some awesome literature friends :p: there won't be any.
Reply 84
reems23
You didn't say why you'd avoid imperial? :pierre:

how long do you ave?

full of poshies, not a bad fing themselves but its poor company for the average student, since they dont do the same fings on nites out.

surrounded by overpriced shops, pubs

totally overblown rent

in the west central part of london, the most expensive place to live you can find in the UK. really, the last place you would study.

ucl isnt really different, tbf. but i prefer the building and bars there.
I have a gut feeling against Imperial, seemed a bit cold, snobbish and impersonal
I'm sure its fantastic...but I'm just a UCL girl through and through =)
Reply 86
lol admitting your a UCL girl is just as cringeworthy amongst the general public.
but wif your choice, and if i had to choose one, yes, i'd agree wif you.
(i'd of course reapply)

Blatant Troll
Ahh man - I thought you were pretty much spot on until that last part

most people surely know that its a bad choice of place to live, tbf.
you should find that you are in the tiny minority of peeple who believe imperial is good for spending 6 years at, but you are entitled to that opinion and i'm sure its justified fully for you.
'owever, to seriously believe that your opinion extends outside your minority isnt a sensible road to take.
Gizmo!

most people surely know that its a bad choice of place to live, tbf.
you should find that you are in the tiny minority of peeple who believe imperial is good for spending 6 years at, but you are entitled to that opinion and i'm sure its justified fully for you.
'owever, to seriously believe that your opinion extends outside your minority isnt a sensible road to take.

I'm confused - did you misunderstand me? In that post I was referring to the fact that he took a cheap shot at UCL - which I disagreed with - not anything else. I think you're the second person to bring it up, so maybe it wasn't clear.
As regards living in London, it's awesome, though in many respects horrendous - as a northern lad, I'm inclined to agree
Reply 88
seeker1
Just for you I will lol

But why? Because they have a better name? What is it better for :s-smilie:

Don't argue, Daniel San.
Reply 89
Blatant Troll
I'm confused - did you misunderstand me? In that post I was referring to the fact that he took a cheap shot at UCL - which I disagreed with - not anything else. I think you're the second person to bring it up, so maybe it wasn't clear.
As regards living in London, it's awesome, though in many respects horrendous - as a northern lad, I'm inclined to agree

you're quite right, trollo, i misunderstood you.
sorri about that.
Reply 90
JordanCarroll
soon to be beaten by The London at barts :wink: 2nd biggest in the world

looks almost identical to UCH its scary :tongue:
Yer, but the London has a pad that you can land on without crashing. :wink:
Reply 91
I applied to both on the assumption that the choice would be made for me, but then got an offer from both. I spent many a sleepness night trying to decide between the two (I actually got my other two choices too, but felt that London was for me), so this question is one that had run around in my mind quite a bit. In the end, only a few hours before the UCAS deadline, I decided that my heart would have to tell me the answer rather than my brain. I got a coin and allocated Imperial as heads, and UCL as tails. I decided I would stick with the coin's decision for an hour, and after an hour I'd see how I felt. It landed Imperial. After an hour I was still satisfied with this, so that was my decision. Never looked back. You could try this method!
Renal
So what the **** are you doing advising on medical courses and careers?

(Without meaning to cause any offence whatsoever... :mad: )

I looked into imperial aswell to study computer science before I completely veered ofcourse and chose a different career lol. granted it's nothing to do with medical stuff though but oh well (:
Dorian_Blue
What a stupid thing to say. Not only will he have a social life, but it'll be in london. Have fun in canterbury.

Will do (:
Reply 94
fait
When I told people I was going to UCL, a few actually thought it was a sixth form. :sigh:

Lol and I was actually at the 6th form which is part of the UC foundation at good old UCS. Now if that isn't a confusing name...
Reply 95
Moronic Acid
I actually had to make this choice (got offers from both) - I chose Imperial :biggrin:

My friend went the other way...
seeker1
Hey everyone

Sorry - I know there are other threads called UCL vs Imperial, but they end up turning into conversations between two people who know each other. Never gets very far lol.

So I'm applying for medicine... UCL or Imperial. Imperial or UCL.

I've never been to either, but done some research. Here are my findings:

UCL:
Exams synoptic
Less expensive
Location better
Social life better (?)

Imperial:
Modular
More well recognised
Very Academic - 'geeky'
Location doesn't matter cos everything is tube
Everywhere in London is expensive
Better hospitals
Better facilities
More clubs/societies

not looking good for you ucl guys! :eek3:

Something inside me is saying UCL but I need to justify it to my brain!!

PLEASE HELP GUYS!

Ooh, hard. Both look nice. I'm pick Imperial - location & M:F ratio. Tho UCL location good too.
It is called Gimperial for a reason.

:wink:
Renal
Yer, but the London has a pad that you can land on without crashing. :wink:

hahahaa!
Go to Imperial ....

Latest

Trending

Trending