The Student Room Group

Architecture, Engineering or both at University of Sheffield?

Hello

I'm currently studying Structural Engineering and Architecture (hence the username) at University of Sheffield. I'll be starting my 2nd year in a few weeks and if anyone has any questions about Sheffield, Architecture, Civil and Structural Engineering (I take all structural modules and some civil modules) or my dual course then I'd be happy to answer them, in this thread or by private message if you prefer.
Reply 1
At the end of 2nd year now, anyone have any questions?
Yes.

What is the main difference between the role of a structural engineer and an architect in the design and construction of a building?

How often do you find the two courses overlapping?

In first year, I used to live and mainly hang out with architects. They tended to be more artsy than maths/physics type people than us... would you say that this is generally true?
Reply 3
So far the courses have not overlapped much, but structures in architecture and design in engineering will increase in later years of study. If anything they start off almost polar opposites and slowly merge together.

I think there's a mixture of artsy types and more technical types, but I also find the majority to be somewhere inbetween or just random like biology/english/philosophy types!
Reply 4
What is the main difference between those two?

It might only be me but I don't think you've answered that in the post

E;Typo
Reply 5
Adala

E;Typo

I guess it's design through concept and intended use, and design through calculation and analysis.
Reply 6
Smack
Yes.

What is the main difference between the role of a structural engineer and an architect in the design and construction of a building?

How often do you find the two courses overlapping?

In first year, I used to live and mainly hang out with architects. They tended to be more artsy than maths/physics type people than us... would you say that this is generally true?

Adala

E;Typo

simply put: an architect designs a building and an engineer does the calculations to see if it will fall down. my cousin told me this as he is an architect and apparently architects hate engineers which is why i chose it :p:
tkwan196
simply put: an architect designs a building and an engineer does the calculations to see if it will fall down. my cousin told me this as he is an architect and apparently architects hate engineers which is why i chose it :p:

In first year I used to live with and get drunk with architects and we all got on fine. :o:
Reply 8
Smack
In first year I used to live with and get drunk with architects and we all got on fine. :o:

yes because you arnt designing buildings for a living and getting told they will fall down yet
tkwan196
yes because you arnt designing buildings for a living and getting told they will fall down yet

Well I'm mechanical so I probably won't ever tell someone their building will fall down.

Besides, don't architects learn a bit about structural engineering as well? I mean, what exactly do they do for the 7 years they're at uni?
Reply 10
Smack
Well I'm mechanical so I probably won't ever tell someone their building will fall down.

Besides, don't architects learn a bit about structural engineering as well? I mean, what exactly do they do for the 7 years they're at uni?

apparently they learn the theory and a bit of calculations. the rest is just a design course? idk but mechanical ftw dude!
Reply 11
it's a bit of both - architects learn the basics about structures, but structural engineers also learn about design (it's not just about calculations!)

Latest

Trending

Trending