The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Architecture, Engineering or both at University of Sheffield?

Hello

I'm currently studying Structural Engineering and Architecture (hence the username) at University of Sheffield. I'll be starting my 2nd year in a few weeks and if anyone has any questions about Sheffield, Architecture, Civil and Structural Engineering or my dual course then I'd be happy to answer them, in this thread or by private message if you prefer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a quick question, do Sheffield interview Engineering candidates? I couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Hi
I can only speak for the the courses run by the Civil and Structural Engineering department.
I don't think so. I don't know anyone who was. If your A-level grades match your AS grades, you'll probably be given an offer, and wouldn't be interviewed.
Reply 3
What sort of grades have been people been accepted into sheffield's engineering department with?? Kinda got my heart set on sheffield and will be so dissapointed if i dont get a place :frown:

Cheers, James
Reply 4
mrcog
What sort of grades have been people been accepted into sheffield's engineering department with?? Kinda got my heart set on sheffield and will be so dissapointed if i dont get a place :frown:

Cheers, James

Depending on the course ABB or AAB, with maths and one other science based subject.
Reply 5
im doing aerospace at sheffield. 2nd yr when i go bk.. they didnt interview me when i got my offer. and it was ABB offer
Reply 6
Hi, I am looking at the strucutral and architecture dual course at sheffield, can anyone tell me if ther is any othere course like it? i have found all the other unis are either not accredited by RIBA or Engineering? Also what are the chances of me getting in as my predicteed grades are only ABC :frown:
Please help! :rolleyes: xx
Reply 7
JesHLM11
Hi, I am looking at the strucutral and architecture dual course at sheffield, can anyone tell me if ther is any othere course like it? i have found all the other unis are either not accredited by RIBA or Engineering? Also what are the chances of me getting in as my predicteed grades are only ABC :frown:
Please help! :rolleyes: xx

Hi
The Sheffield course is the only one in the UK that is accredited by both professional associations. I do remember hearing of another uni that had a course they were trying to get accredited last year, but sorry I can't remember which one and I don't know whether they have been successful yet. Sheffield's still your best bet though because it's a well established course.
Predicted grades don't really matter, what grades do you think you will actually get? Applying with those grades may still get you an AAB offer, so if you think you have a good chance of getting them (or at least close) then you may still be able to get in. If you didn't get an offer, but went on to get AAB, you could always take a gap year and apply for the year after. I was predicted BCC (due to poor attendance), but got AAB, so took a gap year and sorted uni out after that.
Reply 8
Yeh thats my plan! i think i will get AAB and with a lot of work maybe AAA, in maths, art and physics being my B. which i am assuming are pretty good subjects for this course! i expected it would be competitive being the only course of its type? Also i have a million engineering and science things to put on my personal statement so i hope i get an offer! i found a course at nottingham which is accredited but i think its some other kind of engineering and you have to sign up for the whole seven years.
Have you got any tips for my personal statement as its guna be aimed at this course! Thanks :smile:
Reply 9
JesHLM11
Yeh thats my plan! i think i will get AAB and with a lot of work maybe AAA, in maths, art and physics being my B. which i am assuming are pretty good subjects for this course! i expected it would be competitive being the only course of its type? Also i have a million engineering and science things to put on my personal statement so i hope i get an offer! i found a course at nottingham which is accredited but i think its some other kind of engineering and you have to sign up for the whole seven years.
Have you got any tips for my personal statement as its guna be aimed at this course! Thanks :smile:

Just talk about your reasons for applying - mine were that I liked the idea that after 4 years I would have the option of following either career and that even if I decided to follow one and not the other, my knowledge of both subjects would help either way, giving me a unique perspective....etc. (I'm sure I worded it better than that!). Also, talk about what aspects of your A level subjects you enjoy and how these will all be continued on this course, i.e. problem solving in Maths and design in Art, and how again this uniquely applies to this course....what aspects you think you'll enjoy and how different experiences you have had will help with different aspects. I enjoyed the most, and did the best in, my mechanics modules, for maths so I mentioned that (you do 2 mechanics modules in 1st year of the course that follow on from the a level content).

Any related hobbies.....limit them to a few and be brief about any unrelated ones. Achievements...again keep them related (I mentioned a school design competition I had won). If you mention any favourite buildings or architect/engineers make it a non-obvious choice and give well thought out reasons...don't just say you like it/him/her. Personal attributes/qualities or aspects of your personality that you think will help you on the course and how.

There's more but I can't think of them right now...will add them if I do.
Reply 10
I'm going to Sheffield this year (in about 3 days!) and I'm doing MEng Civil Engineering. Just a few questions:
How many hours a week of teaching time are there and how much work do most students need to do outside of that?
Will we get a list of books to buy and do we need to buy all of them or can we use some from the library? How much should I expect to spend on books in first year?
Do we have exams in January?
I know you're doing a different course, so sorry if you these are questions you can't answer!
Reply 11
sophie..
I'm going to Sheffield this year (in about 3 days!) and I'm doing MEng Civil Engineering. Just a few questions:
How many hours a week of teaching time are there and how much work do most students need to do outside of that?
Will we get a list of books to buy and do we need to buy all of them or can we use some from the library? How much should I expect to spend on books in first year?
Do we have exams in January?
I know you're doing a different course, so sorry if you these are questions you can't answer!

I know your course fairly well as 8 out of 12 modules in 1st year are core modules that everyone in the department on any course takes, and I have friends on your course so I know a bit about the other 4 modules too.
You'll have around 11-14 hours of teaching time per week with 1-3 hour labs every 1-2 weeks. You're expected to do a total of 35 hours a week of study, but most weeks you'll do much less, unless you need to do extra, it's very much up to you. There are 3 separate week long group projects when you'll probably spend closer to 40 hours working or more depending on your group.

You won't get a reading list as such, but each lecturer will let you know in their 1st lecture what book they think you should get. You don't have to buy any of them, they're not essential to use, more just helpful especially if something from a lecture needs more explanation. If you don't think you'll need it then using the ones they have in the library should be fine. I only bought 2 engineering books all year (both in my 1st week), a maths one and a mechanics one (both recommended by the lecturer), which cost me £70. Notes given in lectures cover everything so these books are not really necessary. I know there's some research involved in some of the modules I didn't do, but library books should be fine for that.

You'll have 6 exams in January and 6 in May/June.

You can find your module info here: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/civil/ug/courses/civu16table.html

Any more questions, please ask.
Reply 12
Thanks alot! I think speaking to someone helps so much, and i am now definately going for this course :smile: xx
Reply 13
Ooo and do you know of any books i could read? just for interest or help. xx
Reply 14
JesHLM11
Ooo and do you know of any books i could read? just for interest or help. xx

Sorry for the late reply.
There are books listed per module under the link I gave above.
Although many are text books and probably not that interesting for general reading. I would recommend the books "why buildings stand up" and "why buildings fall down" that are listed under a few 1st year modules, as they are both educational and interesting, but not too heavy on the detail. As for architecture, the list in endless and many of the ones I would recommend can be found mentioned multiple times on the architecture forum.
What kinda physics do you do? I might apply to civil and structural engineering. I'm afraid I might not like it since I dont really care about buildings, but I like the 'engineering' part of physics and maths!

btw I'm applying to maths, and MAYBE one course engineering. Is there a chance I might get an offer if most of my PS is about maths?
Reply 16
peaches6994
What kinda physics do you do? I might apply to civil and structural engineering. I'm afraid I might not like it since I dont really care about buildings, but I like the 'engineering' part of physics and maths!

btw I'm applying to maths, and MAYBE one course engineering. Is there a chance I might get an offer if most of my PS is about maths?

Well, most modules are very maths based and the physics comes into the structural analysis (think mechanics modules for maths A level), geotechnics (soil, rocks etc.), materials (properties and applications of timber, concrete, steel etc.) especially in first year when it's more about building basic skills than designing or analysising actual structures. However, as each year goes on it does become more and more about analysisng and understanding real structures (or groundworks for civil), and eventually designing them, so you would need to have an interest in that. I guess it's possible that after you start seeing where maths and physics can be applied to real world situations that you would develop more of a interest in the engineering of structures (or groundworks).

In terms of your PS, I'd say you would need to show some interest in engineering, perhaps as an general interest in the way maths can be applied, if you don't want to get too specific.
Reply 17
Hai I am applying for the Architecture Course K100 in sheffield and i was just wondering what the course was like ... through the eyes of a student :P
so please just share your experiances and anything that you found interesting THANK YOU :smile:
Reply 18
Hi Architeer.. Im very interested in this course, as I want something with a mix of the creative and technical. I just had a couple of questions.. Are there many mature students on the course as Im pushing on a bit for an undergrad? I wouldnt let it put me off, but interested none the less! Also how is the work load? My research suggests that either of these subjects alone can be very heavy, but to squeeze two accredited degrees into four years?!! I have done very well on my engineering foundation year, but dont want to bite off more than I can chew! Cheers and thanks for the post...
Reply 19
Yoana
Hai I am applying for the Architecture Course K100 in sheffield and i was just wondering what the course was like ... through the eyes of a student :P
so please just share your experiances and anything that you found interesting THANK YOU :smile:

Hi Yoana
The course is really enjoyable, but hard work so dedication is key. The department is well organised and there are lots of workshops and a variety of activities to help you with your studies - it's not just about designing buildings all the time, it's about moulding the way you think and design in general.
If you have any more specific questions, i'd be happy to help answer them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending