The Student Room Group

History A level

I'm thinking of doing History A level next year, but the problem is I didn't do it for GCSE. Will this be a problem? I really wanted to do it for GCSE but it didn't work out with my other options, and my History teacher said I would have done very well if I'd taken it. I find it very interesting and I really want to study it at A level but I'm worried I won't be up to the standard of the others in my class. I really need to get an A in it as I'm thinking of reading Law at Oxford. My English is good, I'm predicted A* in English Language and English Literature. I know that History involves a lot of essay writing so I thought this might help in some way...?
Reply 1
I am going to do History AS and I haven't done History as a GCSE. It's fine. Although being good in subjects such as English Language and Literature will most certainly help. :five: I want to do Law aswell:woo: If you're predicted an A* in both then you should do fine. Try and speak to an enrolment tutor or something. Hope that it works out for you:smile:
LittleMissCurious
I'm thinking of doing History A level next year, but the problem is I didn't do it for GCSE. Will this be a problem? I really wanted to do it for GCSE but it didn't work out with my other options, and my History teacher said I would have done very well if I'd taken it. I find it very interesting and I really want to study it at A level but I'm worried I won't be up to the standard of the others in my class. I really need to get an A in it as I'm thinking of reading Law at Oxford. My English is good, I'm predicted A* in English Language and English Literature. I know that History involves a lot of essay writing so I thought this might help in some way...?

What topics are you studying? At my school you could take it if you hadn't at GCSE, but my sixth form studies Weimar Germany. Those who hadn't taken History at GCSE (and those who had taken a different GCSE course) found themselves at a disadvantage as everyone else knew what the teacher was talking about and as such it wasn't covered in as much detail, so they found it harder. If this is the case, just ask your tecaher for extra help. :smile: If you're good at essay writing it will definitely help you too.
Reply 3
should be fine. i didn't do it at gcse and got an a at a level. my teacher said its so different to gcse that it doesnt matter.
Reply 4
Most 6th forms/colleges will alllow you onto the course if you achieve a decent grade in english.

Latest