The Student Room Group

OCR English Language

Okay, after reading about how easy everybody found Edexcel (Higher Tier) Maths today, I need to forget about it and concentrate on OCR English Language for tomorrow!

Please help me - what kind of stuff comes up in this? What kind of tasks will there be? I have no concept of this paper at all and do not what to expect.

Please help!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Yeah forget about damn maths seaspray (like username btw :biggrin: ) Ummm expect some persuade, argue, convince questions to come up and anaylsing blocks of text meaning you have to go into detail about what it shows,why,where,when,who you get ze picture. Then you may get a newspaper article or a advertisement, and they may ask you to comment on it and how it acheives attention etc, commen on colour, font, language it uses, exclamation marks, the layout etc, you'll be fine for tomorrow, good luck.
Reply 2
Thanks, Markus! How is AS-Level Economics? I was (briefly) considering it :smile:
Reply 3
seaspray
Thanks, Markus! How is AS-Level Economics? I was (briefly) considering it :smile:

Dont know yet, ask me after my 6th form induction days (6th,7th june). It seems bloody damn boring if you ask me, but im into all that business and economics stuff so i chose to do it, also makes me looks really smart if i have a decent grade in economics :biggrin: so yeah go for it, if you are looking to do subjects which you'll find enjoyable then choosing economics will be negotiable..
Reply 4
Dont know yet, ask me after my 6th form induction days (6th,7th june).

Thats today and yesterday :confused:
Reply 5
Hmm, back on topic, you know the language? I assumed it would be when we (as in the candidates) write creatively. But everybody seems to be saying it's about analysis and commenting on styles? Surely that was what all the Literature was about?! Isn't language where we get a go?! Also, just to check, it's not the short stories tomorrow is it?
Reply 6
zhivago
Hmm, back on topic, you know the language? I assumed it would be when we (as in the candidates) write creatively. But everybody seems to be saying it's about analysis and commenting on styles? Surely that was what all the Literature was about?! Isn't language where we get a go?! Also, just to check, it's not the short stories tomorrow is it?

Yeah Zhivago there is 20 mark creativity section on language paper 1, section B i think it is, i got 17/20 (A) on that section, hence, used it as a part of my coursework...then section A is the other stuff......

..And my 6th form induction is 6th and 7th of JULY, sorry about that..
Reply 7
i think it is:
1. summary
2.analysing a text
3. persuade advise and something else/analysis, comment review

not quite sure on the last question, but its one where you write creativly
Reply 8
For the exam on friday do we only need the first six stories from Opening Worlds?
Reply 9
I'm fairly sure it's analysis followed by descriptive and then creative writing. The persuasive stuff is on Friday.
yeah the shot stories are on friday
Tomorrow Unit 1 OCR English Lang

Section A - non fiction & media reading passages. Question will involve a brief summary and then an analysis.

Section B - writing to inform, explain & describe.
There will be three questions on the paper tomorrow, all worth equal marks. The first question will be a summary. The second question will be an analysis. The last question is creative writing I think, in my mock the third questions was "What would make an ideal school?", or something like that anyway. All three questions will have a topic linking them, in my mock exam it was schools.
Reply 13
I am really creeped out about exams now after my OCR maths intermediate went horribly wrong. I need to do really well on this English paper! We've been f****d around by the school in terms of all the different teachers we've been assigned including some clueless Australian oddball who taught us about apostrophes for a whole term...

Help me... :banghead:
Reply 14
well, i was doing ocr maths higher tier...and there were a few bits of that which weren't particularly good...so i'm sure you'll be fine...if everyone found it hard, then chances are, the grade boundaries will be lower, and thus reflect it's difficulty...
Reply 15
we've been assigned including some clueless Australian oddball who taught us about apostrophes for a whole term...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Reply 16
Yup, it's true lol, his name was Dr Bayliss. If you ever see him, shoot him and then send his fingers to me as proof. :secruity:
I never want to see an apostrophe again. Or the poem War Girls. Have you any idea how funny "they're out to show their grit" sounds in an Australian accent? :stupid: No, you haven't, but try and imagine it... :biggrin:
Reply 17
Also our scary History teacher fancied the pants off him and she now visits him every Saturday... Creepy, non?

Latest