The Student Room Group

Few ISEP Questions

Hi, I'm about to start at the University of Central Lancashire, studying Journalism. I have the intention of studying abroad in the USA for a year under the ISEP program, if possible, just a few questions if any of you can help...

1. Will my year abroad be tacked on to my original course, i.e. a 3 year undergraduate becomes a 4 year course?

2. Myself and my family are not rich. I guess we do alright (no mortgage to pay off) but we can't splash money around just for the hell, so in this sense, do you think that ISEP is viable because of costs etc (I'm intending to do bits and bobs of work during the holidays to save a bit of money).

3. Is it appropriate to put the ISEP exchange on a CV? I.e. "University of Iowa, 2011" for example?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to work out if it'll be viable to do ISEP before I start properly thinking about the practicalities etc...
Reply 1
carrotdog
Hi, I'm about to start at the University of Central Lancashire, studying Journalism. I have the intention of studying abroad in the USA for a year under the ISEP program, if possible, just a few questions if any of you can help...

1. Will my year abroad be tacked on to my original course, i.e. a 3 year undergraduate becomes a 4 year course?

2. Myself and my family are not rich. I guess we do alright (no mortgage to pay off) but we can't splash money around just for the hell, so in this sense, do you think that ISEP is viable because of costs etc (I'm intending to do bits and bobs of work during the holidays to save a bit of money).

3. Is it appropriate to put the ISEP exchange on a CV? I.e. "University of Iowa, 2011" for example?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to work out if it'll be viable to do ISEP before I start properly thinking about the practicalities etc...

Re : 1, this depends on your program of study, but it is usually the case that you will not be extending the time it takes to complete your program. The only exception is if you go on exchange and take a pisser, in which case what you study there is just for general knowledge purposes and not relevant to your studies at home.

Re : 2, it is usually the case that when you go on ISEP that you will be required to pay your normal tuition fees and accommodation as if you are attending your uni back in UK :smile: Therefore, with the exception of more pocket money (you gonna need it) and the exchange fees required, it will cost some quids to apply. Generally best to start applying by the end of your first semester if you intend to spend your 2nd year on ISEP (it is usually very rare that you spend the last year on ISEP) Sometimes your uni may have a direct exchange agreement with another university, often it can be a better option going this route than through ISEP.

Re : 3, MOST DEFINITELY :smile:
Reply 2
Iorek
Re : 1, this depends on your program of study, but it is usually the case that you will not be extending the time it takes to complete your program. The only exception is if you go on exchange and take a pisser, in which case what you study there is just for general knowledge purposes and not relevant to your studies at home.

Re : 2, it is usually the case that when you go on ISEP that you will be required to pay your normal tuition fees and accommodation as if you are attending your uni back in UK :smile: Therefore, with the exception of more pocket money (you gonna need it) and the exchange fees required, it will cost some quids to apply. Generally best to start applying by the end of your first semester if you intend to spend your 2nd year on ISEP (it is usually very rare that you spend the last year on ISEP) Sometimes your uni may have a direct exchange agreement with another university, often it can be a better option going this route than through ISEP.

Re : 3, MOST DEFINITELY :smile:

Thanks very much for all the help! Couple more things if you don't mind. My university does have a direct arrangement with a few USA universities, but under ISEP there are some far more prestigious ones (public ivies) whose departments I think would be much more interesting to study in.

Secondly, regarding the fees. Am I to understand that you're saying I'll basically pay what I would normally for the year, plus some pocket money+expenses while in america, meaning that I don't really have to save up much more money than I would anyway?
Reply 3
carrotdog
Thanks very much for all the help! Couple more things if you don't mind. My university does have a direct arrangement with a few USA universities, but under ISEP there are some far more prestigious ones (public ivies) whose departments I think would be much more interesting to study in. - Yes, that is usually the case that other unis have interesting subjects you can study. However do discuss with your home uni in UK that those "interesting" subjects you want to study will allow you to graduate at home without the need to extend your course.

Secondly, regarding the fees. Am I to understand that you're saying I'll basically pay what I would normally for the year, plus some pocket money+expenses while in america, meaning that I don't really have to save up much more money than I would anyway? Yes, that means if your current uni tuition is £2500, then you will pay to your uni £2500 as all the tuition fees in order to go on ISEP. In regard to living cost, depending on which uni you will go to in USA and their policies in regard to this matter, you may be required to pay for your own living expenses once you are in USA, but you pay nothing in UK. The other common arrangement is you will pay in UK what you would normally pay for an on-campus student accomodation, if you pay for a self-cater, then when you go to USA you will get an on-campus dorm which you will then pay for your own meal plan. Depends very much on the uni and also what is available at your own uni. Therefore if for example an on-campus room in the student halls cost £3000 per academic year at your university in UK, then you will pay just that, once in USA your accommodation will be taken care off. You will then need to purchase a meal-plan. The only other cost to you will be the ISEP fees and however much extra pocket money you want to blow on lagers/chips/dating :biggrin: /travelling all over USA :smile:

Therefore your assumption that you won't be needing to save up that much more than you would otherwise have to is correct.

Depending on where you go in USA.........it could just be that you need to spend less :biggrin: I did have a friend who attended LSE, went to Vermont for exchange. It was one where he took care of his own living expenses...... ended up costing less to survive in Vermont than it was to survive in London for the academic year.......taking into account food, lodging, beers and commuting :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending