The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Are you guys experiencing the improved speeds? I didn't apply for the 20mbit connection because I assumed they upgraded the 'free' one to 4mbit as well. I'm pretty sure I read that on the pre-registration website. Do we have to register for the 4mbit one as well? It didn't ask me anything when I got online from my room and I didn't pre-register.

I'm still at 1mbit speeds :frown:
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
I'm getting between about .5 and 1 Mb per second at the moment, I think this means that it will not be until mid October that we get the new service (4MB or 20MB)
Yeah, it seems like it. Oh well.
Reply 43
I was expecting a log in or something but there was nothing like that. Is this a temporary service then?
Reply 44
warandpeace
I'm getting between about .5 and 1 Mb per second at the moment, I think this means that it will not be until mid October that we get the new service (4MB or 20MB)

new service? keep dreaming
Reply 45
Mine's fine. :cool:
Anyone got their upgraded internet yet?
Reply 47
E-mail to and from ISP:

Dear Adam,

Thank you for your reply.

We are still waiting on a date for when the new service will go live, we are hoping this will be in the next few weeks but I cannot give a date in case things get delayed.

If you have any further queries please contact us again.

Regards,

Keysurf Support
0870 1490088

Do you have an estimated time of when this will be? I.E. end of October or somthing? Thank you for your time and help.

Adam

Once this service goes live we will then be able to register for 4mb/s or pay for 20mb/s connection. Plus be able to use Outlook properly then. I seem to be currently stuck at about 50kb/s. Maybe lots of people on?

I have managed to get upload speeds of about 0.7mb/s (sneaky bypass of thir firewall limits). Will have to wait 'a few weeks' for faster donwloads though.
Thanks, appreciate the info.
I contacted them (Keycom) and got a rather vague response:

"Thank you for your email.

We are hoping to migrate the service this month but we are currently awaiting the delivery of a circuit to ensure the transition takes place. We have no timeframe as to when this will be available but we will notify the university and accommodation as soon as we have confirmation. We apologise for the delay.

Regards,

Keysurf Support"
So it seems that sometime this year they will update the service, but who knows
Reply 50
Thanks for the post. Yer nice and vague. As long as they don't still try and charge £70 for the nicer upgrade. Randomly got a more technical reply the other day:

Hi Adam.

The Halls of Residence internet service is part of the universities ResNet service which in turn is connected via the Janet network. As such we have to block certain protocols as advised by Janet. This includes SMTP which will be why you are unable to send outgoing mail. You should, however be able to receive e-mail to your Outlook account although it is advisable to use a web based client (such as hotmail or googlemail).

If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
James Dell

So in theory as the university can get 50mb/s download and upload speeds on JANET then we shouldn't get much slower if you can find a way round around their throttling.

Anyway yer obv not going to be this month. Hopefully next month.
Reply 51
Mentioned getting by the firewall, how did ya do that?
Can't use any p2p programs or download stuff & wouldn't mind getting by the firewall either lol.. x
Reply 52
:tongue: PMed you 2. Anyone else who would like to know PM me and I will let you know. (Don't want to start making visible posts about it all).

Latest

Trending

Trending