Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The "Where are you applying to do a PGCE?" 2010 thread.

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh so stressed, I still don't know whether I'm in can't concentrate on any of my work and I have two exams Monday and Tuesday. Streeessss.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey you all

1) Secondary English

2) Oxford Uni, Southampton Uni, Brighton Uni and Newcastle Uni
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    thought i'd see if anyone knew the answer on here, was rejected from edge hill over the weekend for not having 10 days experience even though i have alot more than 10 days experience. I was wondering if experience in EYFS rather than KS1/2 has counted against me? and whether anyone else has been told this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~CAROLINE~)
    thought i'd see if anyone knew the answer on here, was rejected from edge hill over the weekend for not having 10 days experience even though i have alot more than 10 days experience. I was wondering if experience in EYFS rather than KS1/2 has counted against me? and whether anyone else has been told this.
    Sorry to hear that you've been rejected

I don't have any experience of your situation, but was all of your experience in EYFS? I could understand why a university might see that as a problem though because they could assume (I'm not saying that this is true) that you don't have an understanding of the development and changes throughout a child's primary school experience.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know that for Northampton you needed 10 days but with EYFS for the early years course, but for normal primary you needed to have been in both KS and KS2 also, so maybe your work experience was in the wrong stage?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *River)
    Sorry to hear that you've been rejected

I don't have any experience of your situation, but was all of your experience in EYFS? I could understand why a university might see that as a problem though because they could assume (I'm not saying that this is true) that you don't have an understanding of the development and changes throughout a child's primary school experience.
    The vast majority of my in school experience was in EYFS.

To be honest I am guessing that is the reason i didn't get on is that they assume what you said. Was just rather puzzled that the forms stated in school yet EYFS didn't count.

Ah well lessons learned for next year in that an EYFS pgce may be a better idea for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e_clark)
    I know that for Northampton you needed 10 days but with EYFS for the early years course, but for normal primary you needed to have been in both KS and KS2 also, so maybe your work experience was in the wrong stage?
    I was thinking exactly what you had said tbh, as even though the specification didn't state KS1 and above the rejection advice did say no in school experience. Hmm gonna ask my headteacher about it see what she thinks i think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do a primary PGCE, then you've got oodles of time to get more KS experience.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking exactly what you had said tbh, as even though the specification didn't state KS1 and above the rejection advice did say no in school experience. Hmm gonna ask my headteacher about it see what she thinks i think.
    Why not call them up and query it? If you've technically got over 10 days school experience like they ask then there's always the possibility you've been mistakenly rejected!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahradford)
    Ahh so stressed, I still don't know whether I'm in can't concentrate on any of my work and I have two exams Monday and Tuesday. Streeessss.
    I know the feeling, i'm on my 12th day of no news

Just as a heads up though, a friend of mine had an interview at Cambridge for a secondary pgce (albeit not science) a few weeks ago and she didn't find out for two weeks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowleeds)

Just as a heads up though, a friend of mine had an interview at Cambridge for a secondary pgce (albeit not science) a few weeks ago and she didn't find out for two weeks.
    It's my 10th day of waiting now... someone I know that applied to Warwick and had her interview before mine found out 10 days after so maybe today! It's a horrible wait! Good luck guys xxx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Maybe someone here can help me out. Recfently got my welcome letter from GTTR which lists the 4 courses I have applied to, the first says "Referred", the others say "New Choice". The letter makes it clear what referred means, but not the New CHoice part. I had a look on the website etc and did some google searches but I am still unsure exactly what this means.

Any help from those in the know would be wonderful. Thanks!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrGlee)
    Hi,

Maybe someone here can help me out. Recfently got my welcome letter from GTTR which lists the 4 courses I have applied to, the first says "Referred", the others say "New Choice". The letter makes it clear what referred means, but not the New CHoice part. I had a look on the website etc and did some google searches but I am still unsure exactly what this means.

Any help from those in the know would be wonderful. Thanks!
    As I understand it, it means that if for whatever reason you are unsuccessful with you first choice (the one that has been referred) then it will be passed on to your next new choice depending on whether they still have vacancies.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Loving the way you guys are getting stressed about waiting days and weeks.... I'm on months, quite literally. I applied in mid October so have got to the stage of just totally forgetting about it until I get an email or something.

Scottish unis still haven't formally had their allocation of places from Holyrood and as there are going to be major cut backs (around 70% less places than last year meaning the acceptance rate is going to be like 5% or something) there isn't a lot they can really do until then. So I imagine its going to be the new year before I hear anything at all especially given they've had a reshuffle of the education secretary post. I've had a letter saying that although they'll try to keep to GTTR timeframes this isn't normally possible so if I've got an issue with it I should withdraw but otherwise wait, basically.

Good luck to everyone who has places/interviews though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the info
    I think I will stop obsessively checking for a while then...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brak3n)
    Why not call them up and query it? If you've technically got over 10 days school experience like they ask then there's always the possibility you've been mistakenly rejected!
    this is my plan tomorrow when i have a spare 10 minutes at work.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes!!! I'm in!! Secondary History at MMU... so relieved! Good luck to everyone else.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes!!! I'm in!! Secondary History at MMU... so relieved! Good luck to everyone else.
    :woo: :woo: Yay!!!! I wish they'd hurry up and get back to me too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't check GTTR the whole day and then I found out I got a place...maybe that will work? Lol. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear xx
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Can i ask quick question...If you have been declined a place, will the organistion/uni send you a post regarding which areas they feel you possibly didn't match their criteria/standard. Must they do this or is it completely up to them.

Thanks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2010
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.