The Student Room Group

AS levels, are they really that hard?

I've been told that AS levels are really hard. They're actually way harder than GCSE's. I also heard that most people get D's, some get C's, few gets B's and higher. I dread AS so much. I don’t think I have a chance to get a C or above. I got all B’s in my GCSE which actually sucks. I won’t repeat any of them because I really did try my best & I went through a lot and I’m not ready to go through all that again. I was actually thinking of taking 4 AS levels - 3 of which I had never done before. Do you think I could get high grades? Or is it next to impossible?

Scroll to see replies

Nah they are easy. Still, it's a fairly big step up from GCSEs.
No, ignore people who say that.

They are a step up from GCSE, but as soon as you get your head around that it will be fine. If you work hard, then you will do well. All B's at GCSE doesn't suck either. I know people who would have been more than happy to get those results. But use the fact that you were disappointed as an incentive to do even better next year.

4 AS levels should be fine, but the key to A-levels is good planning and organization.
At A-level it is important to read around the subject and do extra work/research without being told to all the time, so make sure you are passionate about (or at least interested) in the subjects you are doing, because then you will be more inclined to work.

Good luck!
Its not really that bad, some people just say its so much work to make it look like they do loads lol, im a person who does all the work last minute and worked well for AS but might put more effort in next year
Reply 4
Lol, no.

I got AABBB and my RS teacher blatantly thought I hadn't done enough work to get that.
I hate when people say "A-Levels are much harder than GCSEs" - I would prefer if they said "A-Levels are much more challenging than GCSEs"
Reply 6
OL1V3R
I hate when people say "A-Levels are much harder than GCSEs" - I would prefer if they said "A-Levels are much more challenging than GCSEs"

What's the difference?
Reply 7
I thought they were. Took a while to realise quite the level of revision that was required and general work outside of lessons. My first results were BCEU - awesome, basically.

Came out of it with BBB though, s'all good.
Sh4w
What's the difference?

To me, when pople say something is hard or difficult I find it a bit discouraging, because it gives the impression that not many people can do it and not with great success. However, if something is challenging, then it definitely can be achieved with a lot of work.
OL1V3R
To me, when pople say something is hard or difficult I find it a bit discouraging, because it gives the impression that not many people can do it and not with great success. However, if something is challenging, then it definitely can be achieved with a lot of work.

yea your right

anyone can do them but you have to put the work in outside school which is the major diference

gcse i went through them without a shread of hard work outside school

i tried to do the first year of as same as with my gcse and was fluncking badly, it was only when i got my D in a maths module that i realised my problem

really the only difference is put the hours in after school constantly rereading you subject and your sorted
Yeah they're harder (or "more challenging" - it's all good :p: ), but not exceedingly so. It's obviously a subjective thing, but for me the gap between AS and A2 was larger than the gap between GCSE and AS. I think where a lot of people come down is not necessarily on the difficulty of content - yes it's more challenging, but you're a year older and a year wiser, so it's a relative thing - but on underestimating the amount of revision required around exam time. In that respect, I think it's fair to say you just can't wing it in the same way you might have done at GCSE. But are they really that hard? I'd be inclined to say no. Get as much UMS as you can this year :yep:
I've hear that the jump between GCSEs and AS/A Levels is higher than between A Levels and Uni. When I started my AS Levels last year I found them really hard to begin with. There was so much to get my head round, even though I only did one subject I'd never done before and thought I wouldn't be able to do at all but got an A in.
I think that if you read over your work at the end of every week or every few days then it will help you understand better and gives you the chance to ask for help. Eventually you will understand the work and it won't be as hard but still requires a lot of effort and time to be put in.
And I agree with poster above that they are challenging!
Reply 12
Put the work in and you'll be fine. Yeah, you'll probably get D's to begin with but persevere and you'll get good grades.
Pretty easy tbh
AS levels are harder than GCSE, but that is to be expected due to the larger course content. Make a bit of effort and they aren't too bad.
If you paid attention to the news each year at results time you would see most people do not get D's
its harder but if you knuckle down and do the work and dont mess about in your free periods lol then you would be fine..
Reply 16
They're not hard, neither are A levels really. I was like you and was told they'd be a mission to complete (mainly by my older siblings!), and basically thought I'd scrape through but actually did very well in them.

They're easier than GCSE's as you're only doing 4 subjects, and a fair chunk of the exams are split between january and june so actually its very manageable to prepare for (unlike GCSEs which I remember struggling with revision wise)

It's a very light step up, and everyones in the same boat so dont worry.
aidanftw
They're not hard, neither are A levels really. I was like you and was told they'd be a mission to complete (mainly by my older siblings!), and basically thought I'd scrape through but actually did very well in them.

They're easier than GCSE's as you're only doing 4 subjects, and a fair chunk of the exams are split between january and june so actually its very manageable to prepare for (unlike GCSEs which I remember struggling with revision wise)

It's a very light step up, and everyones in the same boat so dont worry.

If you saying this is relax him then alright, btu the trurth is A levels are alot harder than GCSE's youd be lying if any said otherwise, they are a big jump.
GCSE's prove nothing:
I beat people who beat me in GCSE's (came top five in my school with AABB at A2) and I got A*ABBC at GCSE,, the other 4 were U's... I beat people who got like mostly A's and a few B's and even some who got all A's and a few A*'s

AS/A levels are more in depth than GCSE's; by the subject, they are harder, but in the grand scope of things there is only a larger step up; which is really easy to conquer, especially after a few past papers/maybe the jan exams

good luck!
Reply 19
They're fine once you work out you need to study it's not that hard to get an A imo but i think it's easier for me as I do Science and Maths so there's always a correct answer

Latest