The Student Room Group
If you were really close and think you are capable of doing it without the evening class then prehaps you can find somewhere you can just sit the exam at. Otherwise speak to the place who want you to do the evening class and try work something out.
Reply 2
justjoshing
I gained a grade D, up from and E, in GCSE Maths. I want to resit in order to get a C, but I've been told I have to do evening class all over again. Is it possible to just resit a certain exam without doing the whole course again. I was only three marks off.

Cheers

If you are confident you don't need any more teaching you could enter as a private candidate and just do the exams in Nov or next summer. Any school or college can (if they want to) enter you privately for the exams even if you don't study there. You just have to pay the exam fees. Try phoning locally and ask to speak to the exams officer.

There are different awarding bodies (Edexcel, AQA, OCR) and courses may be linear or modular, entries can be at foundation or higher level. Each school will typically only offer maths exams from one body and will choose either linear or modular. You need to know which awarding body, level and specification you want to take before you call. They don't owe you anything and won't want you wasting their time if you haven't thought things through. Although all GCSE maths awards are very similar in content you might want to stick to the awarding body you have done before as you are familiar with the style of their questions.
Reply 3
Do I have to retake all the exams agian? I've just finished evening class and I don't want to do itall again. Can I not just resit one module and get my grade up to a C?
Are there resits in November?

Thanks
Reply 4
justjoshing
Do I have to retake all the exams agian? I've just finished evening class and I don't want to do itall again. Can I not just resit one module and get my grade up to a C?

Thanks

I presume you have to resit all the exam papers and yes they do tend to be in November. :biggrin:
Reply 5
PunkyFish-x
I presume you have to resit all the exam papers and yes they do tend to be in November. :biggrin:

I can't just resit one module then? I could get a C overall if I just resat the module I got an E in. I gained high marks on all the others.
Reply 6
Hello?
Which exam board and specification is this? Resitting one module may depend on whether the course was linear or modular.
Reply 8
justjoshing

Thanks

I'm not an expert in every specification but my undertanding is that you can resit any modular unit once - but it has to be all of the papers from that unit (so for example as the last unit is 2 papers you'd have to retake them both).

There are resits in November but not for every subject. You can check the timetable here:
http://www.modernisationonline.org.uk/comptimetable/
Reply 9
justjoshing
I can't just resit one module then? I could get a C overall if I just resat the module I got an E in. I gained high marks on all the others.

No has far as I know, you can't just resit one module. You will have to resit both papers. Check with your Maths tutor or school/college.

Latest