The Student Room Group

Dropping an A-Level

Hey,

I'm looking to do a Geography Degree in September 2010.

My GCSE's were 6A*s and 7A's, and my AS results were (AAAB):

Geography - 199/200 - A
Geology - 277/300 - A
Biology - 263/300 - A
Chemistry - 231/300 - B

I think it would be nearly impossible for me to get an A in Chemistry, so would I be better off dropping it and carrying on with 3 A-Levels in Geography, Geology and Biology?

I'm looking to apply at Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, Nottingham and Southampton.

Thanks!
Reply 1
If you genuinely think there's no chance of an A in Chemistry then I'd say drop it, you can concentrate on your other subjects (which look good, UMS wise :smile:)

Having said that, I got exactly the same result in Chemistry at AS, and then went on to get the equivalent of an A*, which didn't require THAT much extra work, it was tough but do-able, so I'd only drop it if you're 100% convinced of not getting the A

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Henry12321
If you genuinely think there's no chance of an A in Chemistry then I'd say drop it, you can concentrate on your other subjects (which look good, UMS wise :smile:)

Having said that, I got exactly the same result in Chemistry at AS, and then went on to get the equivalent of an A*, which didn't require THAT much extra work, it was tough but do-able, so I'd only drop it if you're 100% convinced of not getting the A

Hope that helps :smile:

Well done on turning it around!

BTW did you do any resits of the AS modules?
Accurate advice is given on the basis of all the information being there: What subject are you looking to read?
Reply 4
Stricof
Accurate advice is given on the basis of all the information being there: What subject are you looking to read?

Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the initial post, it's physical geography which I'm looking to read.
Reply 5
boggybop
Well done on turning it around!

BTW did you do any resits of the AS modules?

Haha, thanks :smile:

Yeah, I ended up resitting all 3 of my AS modules, I had a terrible day when I did my AS originally, so I got a lower than expected AS result. Once I'd done Module 4 at A2, the AS modules were easy in comparison, and I did Module 2 in January and the other two in June. I went from 230 to 295 with a bit of work, so I'd recommend resitting even if you drop it at AS (although the A2 stuff helps make the AS modules easier)
boggybop
Sorry if I didn't make it clear in the initial post, it's physical geography which I'm looking to read.
You shouldn't have a problem applying for universities like Cambridge for Geography I guess. Geology and geography are pretty decent subjects and dropping to 3 subjects is fine. After all, you only need 3. Although four may give you some advantage if you got an A2 A grade or rather... an A grade prediction on it...because Cambridge is A*AA ...hmm..
But yeah, keeping three sounds good if you think you can hit the grades :smile:
Reply 7
i'd drop the chemistry and work really hard on the other three and aim for A*s in one or two of them, which you need if you wanna go to cambridge

Latest