The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Could be any number of reasons...is it random, or when you try to do something i particular?

Have you got the USB cable that came with the phone? If so, install Sony Ericsson PC Suite (click here), and back everything up just in case

Then if you can't figure out why or when it's doing it, you can try updating the firmware. Don't do this unless you know exactly what you are doing - it's best to trouble shoot first, so if it comes to it, I can post instructions here or guide you through the process over messenger or something similar...
Reply 2
This is a known fault with the Sony Ericsson K800i. It used to happen to my dad when he owned one. Try updating the firmware on your phone, as SE may have released a fix for this problem. Is your phone still under warranty?
Reply 3
shark67
My phone (Sony Ericsson K800i) keeps turning ON and OFF by itself. This happens all the time! There's nothing wrong with the battery because I've tried a new battery and same thing happened.

How can this be repaired?

As soon as I saw this thread title, I knew it would be a Sony Ericsson lol.

I have a C902 and it does exactly the same thing. Dunno how to fix it - it's been back to O2 and they couldn't fix it. They just gave me a new one however this one does it as well...

I just can't wait for my contract to run out.
Reply 4
My old phone (samsung e900) used to do that too! So annoying.
:eek: It's a ghost!
Reply 6
andrewkeith5
Could be any number of reasons...is it random, or when you try to do something i particular?

Have you got the USB cable that came with the phone? If so, install Sony Ericsson PC Suite (click here), and back everything up just in case

Then if you can't figure out why or when it's doing it, you can try updating the firmware. Don't do this unless you know exactly what you are doing - it's best to trouble shoot first, so if it comes to it, I can post instructions here or guide you through the process over messenger or something similar...

Random.

How would I update the firmware? Do you mean software update?
Yeah you can use Sony Ericsson Software Update (SEUS)

And yeah Sony Ericsson and Samsung have a reputation for making phones that last just long enough for the warranty to expire before going wrong repeatedly.

Make sure you back everything up before using SEUS, as it'll delete everything stored on the phone!

If you need any help with anything just holla!

Andrew
Mine used to do that cos I dropped in on the floor so much.
Now it's just really slow :sad:
Reply 9
i had a sony ericcson too ( i think it a w850) any way it did the same thing for about 3 wks then one morning as i was using it it turned itself off and it never '' recovered''
Reply 10
My K800i has been turning itself off for the past 2 months or so...especially when knocked or even when i answer a call..SO annoying!!!
andrewkeith5
Yeah you can use Sony Ericsson Software Update (SEUS)

And yeah Sony Ericsson and Samsung have a reputation for making phones that last just long enough for the warranty to expire before going wrong repeatedly.

Make sure you back everything up before using SEUS, as it'll delete everything stored on the phone!

If you need any help with anything just holla!

Andrew

No people just treat them badly I have a Ericsson T68 from 2001 and SE T68i from 2002 that both works fine still, I have two T230's from 2003, again work fine. Also have a T610 and a T630 from 2003 that again still work fine, also have a W810 which I've used everyday and dropped countless times in the last two years that funnily enough, still works fine.
I had that with my w910i in July but sent it to sony ericsson and they sorted it out - did it for free as my phone was still in warrenty
Reply 13
All the new SE phones are **** tbh. Mine, the C905 has the speaker problem, which comes back 2 weeks after the speaker's "fixed". My friend has another recent SE phone which switches itself off randomly. Apparently, it's if you hit it against something, or drop it, it'll do it. So I guess having it in your pocket walking could turn it off..
theronkinator
No people just treat them badly I have a Ericsson T68 from 2001 and SE T68i from 2002 that both works fine still, I have two T230's from 2003, again work fine. Also have a T610 and a T630 from 2003 that again still work fine, also have a W810 which I've used everyday and dropped countless times in the last two years that funnily enough, still works fine.

Older SEs/Ericssons are fantastic phones, I'm talking about after the K750i/D750i/W800i generation

I know of more than my fair share of Sony Ericsson phones that have been treated very well compared to most phones, and that have just gone wrong of their own accord - my personal experience being the M600i that I had, loved, and never dropped or abused. After 6 months, the touch screen just completely stopped responding - thankfully, it was replaced under warranty. This worked brilliantly, except that 6 months later the new one did the same thing.

Basically, SE are just struggling - they haven't come up with any new features/technologies since the K800, and they just keep releasing the same hardware over and over again with different numbers to try and push sales - yet reports of unreliability just seem to go up, I've genuinely got no idea how they manage it.

And with regard Samsung, I don't think I've ever seen a Samsung phone that's not broken itself within 18 months...
Reply 15
Its sorted now!

I just took my memory card out and the phone went back to normal. I put it back in and it kept turning on/off again! Also when I used the bluetooth and transferred a file from another phone it would go off again.

Need a new memory card now or maybe a new phone! Hopefully the C901!

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks
Interesting, sounds like a software update would definitely help then

Lol, new phone yes, but WHY are you considering a Sony Ericsson!? Have you not read the rest of this thread!? :tongue:
Reply 17
My LG Arena doesn't do it for weeks then does it 3 or 4 times in one hour, all when I'm attempting to do something :mad:
andrewkeith5
Older SEs/Ericssons are fantastic phones, I'm talking about after the K750i/D750i/W800i generation.

Like my W810 then..... Which is fine.
My mum has a K550 which is fine.
My friend is a sparky and hasa W350 and is always knocking it at work and again it's fine.
x_skater_jnoo_x
:eek: It's a ghost!

Beat me to it :frown:

:sad:

Latest

Trending

Trending