The Student Room Group

Applying with ABB for AAA/AAB courses, doing retakes in January?

I emailed Durham and got the most inconclusive answer imaginable, so maybe someone here who has experience might be able to help.

I was 1 and 7 marks off the A's, and obviously I would put that in my PS, and am pretty sure I can get those marks in retakes. Obviously though, the results don't come out until after the deadline for applying, so would it be pointless applying to unis requiring anything above what I already have?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
All depends are what your predicted grades are. Get your teachers to predict AAA and you should be fine
Reply 2
If I were you I'd go for it!
Reply 3
If you're talking about taking 3 years to do 2 years worth of A-levels, I'd be very careful. You have good grades as-is and universities do dislike this kind of thing.
Sam o0o
I emailed Durham and got the most inconclusive answer imaginable, so maybe someone here who has experience might be able to help.

I was 1 and 7 marks off the A's, and obviously I would put that in my PS, and am pretty sure I can get those marks in retakes. Obviously though, the results don't come out until after the deadline for applying, so would it be pointless applying to unis requiring anything above what I already have?

Thanks

No, because you will have predictions and the uni's will realise you are retaking as your grades will be pending.
Reply 5
You'll be inherently at a disadvantage, but you still have a good shot.

I have a friend who got into Physics at Durham that way. Bear in mind, though, that you may get a higher offer than the norm.
jayshah31
If you're talking about taking 3 years to do 2 years worth of A-levels, I'd be very careful. You have good grades as-is and universities do dislike this kind of thing.

The one's I applied for all gave me offers, but I would think that Oxbridge and some other top ones may be out of reach (even still, OP might as well put 1 down, who knows, might be lucky)
Reply 7
So would I not declare my original grades? I thought they would've been cashed in or whatever the term is?
Reply 8
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
The one's I applied for all gave me offers, but I would think that Oxbridge and some other top ones may be out of reach (even still, OP might as well put 1 down, who knows, might be lucky)

Were they higher than the published standards? I've seen ABB average offers go to AAA (twice, in fact) for re-takers.

Sam o0o
So would I not declare my original grades? I thought they would've been cashed in or whatever the term is?

I would.
jayshah31
Were they higher than the published standards? I've seen ABB average offers go to AAA (twice, in fact) for re-takers.

One went up (BBB/ABB to AAA :eek: QM - eco), one went down (AAB to ABB York - offer changed from eco to finance), other 3 stayed the same, AAB and two ABB's. cass - finance, manchest - eco, Notts - finance
Reply 10
I got aabb at AS, applied for natural sciences and got AAA offers at Nottingham and UCL. I withdrew from Bath, got an ABB offer from Nottingham and was rejected from Durham. I ended up with AABa.
Reply 11
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
One went up (BBB/ABB to AAA :eek:), one went down (AAB to ABB), other 3 stayed the same, AAB and two ABB's.

What subject/unis was that? :smile:
^^^

See edit
Reply 13
Sam o0o

Thanks

My LSE Offer was AAB and I only had ABBB going into second year. If you ask your Tutors to predict you the higher grades and are willing to put in the extra effort you should be okay or at least be in with a chance of getting the offer. I would imagine that this would be the same in the gap year so long as your referee makes the point clear in your reference.

I would recommend applying for one or two ABB/BBB courses as well though to be on the safe side, it helps to have that safety net when applying.
Reply 14
Lord Roem
My LSE Offer was AAB and I only had ABBB going into second year. If you ask your Tutors to predict you the higher grades and are willing to put in the extra effort you should be okay or at least be in with a chance of getting the offer. I would imagine that this would be the same in the gap year so long as your referee makes the point clear in your reference.

I would recommend applying for one or two ABB/BBB courses as well though to be on the safe side, it helps to have that safety net when applying.

I got ABB in my A2's, not AS's. I got AAAA in my AS-levels, annoyingly enough..
Reply 15
I got ABC in AS, was offered AAB by Southampton, thought I didn't stand a chance, got ABB, was let in anyway :smile: Most people do it this way when applying for Unis: 1 "why not, it could happen" option, 1 unlikely but not impossible option, 2 realistic but good options, and 1 easy option in case you **** up.
Sam o0o

If you are repeating I would put down the AS grades if cashed in, and the A level subject you are not repeating.
Put the repeats as pending.
But this could be the wrong way to go about it.
Reply 17
Sam o0o

Thanks

Well seen as in UCAS you have to declare your grades, then put them in again as pending. The unis will see that it shouldnt be too difficult to bump from ABB to AAA :smile:
Reply 18
jabed786
Well seen as in UCAS you have to declare your grades, then put them in again as pending. The unis will see that it shouldnt be too difficult to bump from ABB to AAA :smile:

Yeah. Unlike Me and You ( i looked at your sig :o: ). Getting BCD to AAC/AAB means a LOT of bumping. :sigh:
Reply 19
Alisa25
Yeah. Unlike Me and You ( i looked at your sig :o: ). Getting BCD to AAC/AAB means a LOT of bumping. :sigh:

I know its gonna be hard :frown: becausewe can only resit a2 modules, i can only aim for ABC really (from BBD). so im takin up another alevel to boost my grades to AABC.
other than improving your grades are you going to anything else in your gap year? i feel like doing just resits is not going to be enough. :sigh:

Latest

Trending

Trending