The Student Room Group

Further Maths and Arcithecture

I'm considering Further Maths as my fifth subject but people around keep on discouraging me. I have always liked maths but this time I'm worried. I can't get an idea of how difficult Further Maths will be (Please help me picture how tough Futher Maths is). I plan on doing a degree on Arcithecture and was wondering wether Further Maths will do me any good for that perpose.
Reply 1
SecondaryGod
I'm considering Further Maths as my fifth subject but people around keep on discouraging me. I have always liked maths but this time I'm worried. I can't get an idea of how difficult Further Maths will be (Please help me picture how tough Futher Maths is). I plan on doing a degree on Arcithecture and was wondering wether Further Maths will do me any good for that perpose.

I would take further maths (unfortunately it wasn't an option at my school).
Reply 2
further maths? hmm dont do it. Its too hard. Just avoid the fact that im still only doing GCSE's... :tongue:
SecondaryGod

depends how good you are - some find it hard some find it easy. If you find nearer maths ok you should be fine
Reply 4
SecondaryGod

There's a big crossover between the maths and further maths syllabuses (or is that syllabi?), because all the modules are taken from the same "pool", so to speak (although some are intended for further maths more than standard maths). (My D1 module was far easier than any of the other modules studied). Also, if you take it as your fifth, you can drop it if you want.

If you like your maths, take it. Don't know how it is looked upon with regards to architecture, but it's a well respected A-level.
Reply 5
Well I like maths and love challenges in maths. But people have been saying things like "even if your Maths' GCSE is A you can still fail your Further Maths".

And will it help me in Arcithecture?
Reply 6
SecondaryGod

Take it. Good fun. I'm doing Matrices and things at the momemt. If you really really love maths then don't miss the chance to further your study. It doesn't matter what other people say. At the end of the day, it is your choice, your knowledge and your life. If I had listen to some other students in my school, I would have never discovered how good I am at Maths.

Module structures aren't that different. But essentially you learn more Calculus (strictly applied maths) and more vertor things (Including Matrices). You will also have to do three applied modules which are most likely to be S2 M3 M4 (if you started your AS year with a further maths group that is). Most schools don't offer D modules to Further Maths students. But if your school, your chosen school, offers D modules as part of F Maths, then I think it is definitely worth taking.

I wouldn't suggest you drop anything unless you suddenly discovered that you no longer like the subject. If you realised that you are doing badly half way through the course, I think you should go talk to you teacher so that you don't have to do the exams but still go to lessons. Learning things doesn't mean you have to get assessed by anyone.
Reply 7
SecondaryGod
Well I like maths and love challenges in maths. But people have been saying things like "even if your Maths' GCSE is A you can still fail your Further Maths".

And will it help me in Arcithecture?

stuff that. GCSE Maths isn't Maths.
Reply 8
I would recommend taking further maths. In response to the quote 'GCSE maths isn't maths'...neither is A Level!
Reply 9
chrisbphd
I would recommend taking further maths. In response to the quote 'GCSE maths isn't maths'...neither is A Level!

Alevel maths is easy, but it is still maths. Ok, maybe not..
Reply 10
SecondaryGod

Look don't be scared of what people say about furthermaths...Most people who say ITS hard , haven't actually done it. At this stage being good at maths is acheived by practise u don't need to a genius to do it. U just need to work hard and do alot of questions. Further maths is fun and very very very very highly respected, specially if ur aiming to go to oxbridge. I'd advice u to do it. its only 12 modeules but u can take 9 if u want to and have AS further maths which again its good.
Don't forget Many unis (e.g. Warwick whcih i'm applying) will consider lower offers for u if u ve taken further maths e.g. if they want AAA normally they may offer u AAB if they see u ve done further maths.

Latest