The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths Question

Hi everyone,

First of all, apologies if this has been asked elsewhere.

I'm an old man who is looking to take an A-Level in Maths over the next two years. I have some A-Levels from years ago but I'd really like to give this A-Level my best shot.

I am looking to study for the AQA qualification and I will self-teach. I see that there are four compulsory modules and I have a choice for the two additional ones; I haven't decided which these will be just yet.

My question is about the 'usual' order and timing in which these exams are taken over the two years. For example; are two units examined in January and one unit in June (AS year), then two units in Jan and one in June (A2 year) ? I'm just wondering what the standard procedure is?

I realise that they can, in theory, be taken in any order. I noticed that in Jan 2010 the Core 1 and Core 2 exams are at the same time, hence my question(s). Do people take these the same day or is it simply that people do one or the other at that time?

Thanks in advance,

James
Generally 1 in Jan and 2 in June, but that is balancing another 2-3 A levels at the same time.
If you have the time all 6 could easily be completed in 1 year.
Reply 2
If you do it over 2 years, just do 3 exams each summer :smile:
Reply 3
1 exam in jan, 2 in june for me.
Reply 4
Hi James.

If you've not already got the material etc, I would personally got for OCR MEI. Its a more 'respected' maths qualification, so well, in your case will push you up to a higher level and seem more of a challenge.

Personally I did further maths, so we had 4 teachers first year and now 3 next year. We did (T=teacher):

T1 -> C1 -> C2 - > C3
T2 -> M1 -> M2
T3 -> D1 - - - - > C3 CW
T4 -> S1 (who was so bad got replaced xD)

So as you see you can tackle actual maths however way round you want really, with enough work.

to make it the easiest though, I would really recommend the following

AS Year
Jan series
Learn C1 -> M1
-> C2
Examine C1 + C2

June
Learn C3
Examine C3

A2 Year
Jan Series
Start retaking any modules you had a bad exam in, and take another shot at C3 regardless. You want to be aiming for that A*.
Learn S1/D1, C4
Take S1/D1, C3 + C4

Then in June just take anything you want another shot at, C3/C4 again probably and then certificate :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your help everyone, it is very much appreciated. I'm not doing any other A-Levels but I will be working full-time so I'm probably going to do it over the two years.

Looks like it will be something like this;

AS year: Jan - MPC1 June: MPC2 + option
A2 year: Jan - MPC3 June: MPC4 + option
Reply 6
I posted without seeing your reply dogie - will read it now. Thanks
James1980
Thanks for your help everyone, it is very much appreciated. I'm not doing any other A-Levels but I will be working full-time so I'm probably going to do it over the two years.

That sounds fine.
With regards ti the new exams being same time, if you are in for both you sit one and then afterwards will stay seated and then take the second.
Reply 9
James1980

Personally I would chose to do the options in January, that way you can use the June's for resits if you wish to do so. Although having said that, if your not bothered by your grade and are purely doing it for enjoyment, then taking them in June would probably make more sense as it gives you longer to study for each one.

Something else to bare in mind is that C1,2 and the two options are fairly straight forward whereas C3 and 4 will take quite a bit more effort (Obviously it depends on your ability and amount of time you have to learn the subject as to how much harder you find them).
Reply 10
Thanks MrM and SirMasterKey, much appreciated.

I quite like the fact that I have a choice over when I take each module, it could be very useful for private candidates like me.
Reply 11
James1980

I am looking to study for the AQA qualification and I will self-teach.
My question is about the 'usual' order and timing in which these exams are taken over the two years.

I'm an old man who has just completed A-Level in Maths over the last two years :smile:

Before deciding on which awarding body to follow I recommend you find a school or college that is willing to accept you as a private candidate for exams. This can be harder that you expect as many places will not accept people who have no relationship with them. So ring round locally and talk to exams officers. Once this is sorted you'll know which awarding body to follow AND which order to prepare the modules. For example, the college that accepted me did C1 (Jan) C2/S1 (June) M1 (Jan) C3/C4 (June). They offered other chances to sit the modules but could not commit when as it would depend on the needs of their full time students to take resits. You need to get sorted soon, exam entries for Jan should be made by October. There are some totally commerical private centres that will basically offer whatever you ask but they can be very expensive.

There isn't a vast difference in the specification between the different bodies but each has it's own style of exam questions. I'd have to disagree with Dogie re OCR-MEI, not because it isn't an interesting/challenging specification but because it requires assessed coursework which is very difficult (near impossible) for private candidate to get marked.

Good luck.
Reply 12
Baldwin91
Personally I would chose to do the options in January, that way you can use the June's for resits if you wish to do so. Although having said that, if your not bothered by your grade and are purely doing it for enjoyment, then taking them in June would probably make more sense as it gives you longer to study for each one.

Something else to bare in mind is that C1,2 and the two options are fairly straight forward whereas C3 and 4 will take quite a bit more effort (Obviously it depends on your ability and amount of time you have to learn the subject as to how much harder you find them).

Thanks for that.

I am going to study for enjoyment but I do intend on getting as high a grade as possible.
Reply 13
gdunne42
I'm an old man who has just completed A-Level in Maths over the last two years :smile:

Before deciding on which awarding body to follow I recommend you find a school or college that is willing to accept you as a private candidate for exams. This can be harder that you expect as many places will not accept people who have no relationship with them. So ring round locally and talk to exams officers. Once this is sorted you'll know which awarding body to follow AND which order to prepare the modules. For example, the college that accepted me did C1 (Jan) C2/S1 (June) M1 (Jan) C3/C4 (June). They offered other chances to sit the modules but could not commit when as it would depend on the needs of their full time students to take resits. You need to get sorted soon, exam entries for Jan should be made by October. There are some totally commerical private centres that will basically offer whatever you ask but they can be very expensive.

There isn't a vast difference in the specification between the different bodies but each has it's own style of exam questions. I'd have to disagree with Dogie re OCR-MEI, not because it isn't an interesting/challenging specification but because it requires assessed coursework which is very difficult (near impossible) for private candidate to get marked.

Good luck.

Thankyou for taking the time to post.

That's a good point about finding an exam centre; whilst I have found lists of potential centres, I haven't yet contacted them. This is something I will do tomorrow; I'll probably start with the place I took my A-Levels years ago. I think I'm probably guilty of choosing an exam board based on lists of potential exam centres.

How did you get on with your A-Level, if that isn't too impertinent to ask?
Reply 14
James1980

How did you get on with your A-Level, if that isn't too impertinent to ask?

got an A - do all the past papers you can get your hands on would be my top tip for success.
Reply 15
gdunne42
got an A - do all the past papers you can get your hands on would be my top tip for success.

Congratulations, well done.

I have found one centre a reasonable distance away who will accept me. They offer OCR Maths to their students but are able to let me take that, Edexcel or AQA, deppending on what I want. It doesn't seem to expensive either - £80 for the three units.

I am waiting for a couple of calls back from other centres; the first location is ok but I'd rather be a little nearer home if possible.

Thanks for all your help.

Latest