The Student Room Group

Oxford History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lumos
One of my interviews was based on a rather tricky (and long- 2 pages) source about teapots that I struggled with... But it wasn't that bad.

Does that mean you were at Worcester for interviews? Lots of people complaining about a tea pot source, I got a rather nice one about South African prohibition :smile:

EDIT: Sorry just saw you said you applied to Worcester, good college choice :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by LongLost
Hi there!

I'm going to be sitting a history aptitude test pretty soon (trying to change my Oxford course to history) so I wouldn't mind feedback by people who sat this year's one, or maybe info on where to find 2006 and earlier papers.

Cheers,
LongLost

I took mine in 2010, when 2004-2006 papers were still on the website. 2004 was the first year the HAT was set, though I also have a specimen paper that they provided prior to that first test. PM me with an email address and I'll send them along to you.
Original post by AJW 12394
Does that mean you were at Worcester for interviews? Lots of people complaining about a tea pot source, I got a rather nice one about South African prohibition :smile:

EDIT: Sorry just saw you said you applied to Worcester, good college choice :wink:

:yep: we're slowly taking this thread over.....
Original post by Niki_girl
:yep: we're slowly taking this thread over.....

As you said, it's the most oversubscribed college so likely to find quite a lot of worcester applicants on here :h:

You been sent anything about options for Michaelmas and Hillary?
Original post by AJW 12394
As you said, it's the most oversubscribed college so likely to find quite a lot of worcester applicants on here :h:

You been sent anything about options for Michaelmas and Hillary?

I've just finished my first year, so I've chosen my British History option for Michaelmas. I'm presuming you mean for incoming Freshers? :tongue:

Basically, the choice for British History options at Worcester is usually between a medieval (BH1 c.300-1087) and an early modern paper (BH V I think, can't remember when this is exactly, I didn't take it).

However, I think our medieval tutor is on leave next year, so I'm not sure what's happening! You'll be sent a reading list in September, but my advice is not to worry about it before then. Take time to read things for pleasure and books you're always wanted to read (like really famous coming-of-age books or classics, or just fun popular fiction) because trust me, in the vacations between terms the last thing you'll want to do is more reading!

Don't worry, I don't think there's that much input involved with regards to choosing options. You'll choose between Historiography and a Foreign Text option, but you'll get an email about that in September, after Result's Day.

Here's some information to read through anyway, http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/prospective/undergraduate/studying/single-hons.html and it's all in the prospectus. Enjoy your summer :smile:
I've just finished my first year, so I've chosen my British History option for Michaelmas. I'm presuming you mean for incoming Freshers? :tongue:

Oh sorry, I presumed you were an "incoming fresher" too after the tea pot source :tongue: I love that phrase, "incoming", makes me think of fighter pilots or something aha :wink:

Thanks for that, I'll have a little look. Some people from other colleges said they've already been sent option lists and reading lists and things, but tbh I'd rather not think about it for a while (and until I know I've definitely met the offer!) if I can help it... :colonhash: I'd be horrible to have read a load of books then miss the offer! And I'm probs not the stereotypical student room Oxford workaholic so I'd rather relax for the time being :rolleyes:

At the moment I'm trying Anna Karenina with regards to classics and coming of age, which is "challenging" to say the least! Although nice short chapters at least make me feel like I've achieved something :tongue: trying to read it with a hangover the other day was beyond impossible...

Thanks, enjoy your summer too :smile:
Reply 1026
Would you say that an a at maths as level and then a B at maths a-level (taken a year early) looks better than an just a in maths at as-level, especially if applying for history ?
Original post by stevie99
Would you say that an a at maths as level and then a B at maths a-level (taken a year early) looks better than an just a in maths at as-level, especially if applying for history ?

From your other posts, I gather that this Maths result is in addition to a predicted AAA, is that correct? I mean, taking A levels early isn't given any brownie points at all; if you were to get A*A*B rather than AAA then you've still missed your offer.

If you have your AAA plus the Maths result, then for History it makes next to no difference whether you have an A-level 'B' or an AS 'A' in Maths as a fourth subject. I wouldn't worry about it either way. Whether you get an interview or not will be very largely based on your performance in the HAT.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 1028
Original post by shoshin
From your other posts, I gather that this Maths result is in addition to a predicted AAA, is that correct? I mean, taking A levels early isn't given any brownie points at all; if you were to get A*A*B rather than AAA then you've still missed your offer.

If you have your AAA plus the Maths result, then for History it makes next to no difference whether you have an A-level 'B' or an AS 'A' in Maths as a fourth subject. I wouldn't worry about it either way. Whether you get an interview or not will be very largely based on your performance in the HAT.

Good Luck :smile:

Well im not actually sure what my predicted grades will be, but i expect them to be AAA, and they would be in subjects other than maths, as im dropping maths this year (having done the A-Level in Maths this year).
But thanks alot, that was really helpful :smile:
Hi guys, I'm going to Keble this October to read straight History but I have always harboured wishes of doing Ancient and Modern History (I may or may not have been rejected for that course last application cycle!).

What are the chances of me being allowed to take some Ancient History papers? I assume course flexibility varies from college to college but I do know that Keble took an AMH applicant this year, despite not actually offering Classics or Ancient History within the college.
How would I go about requesting this? Just wait until October then try my luck or should I whack off an email?

Cheers, and have a great summer!
Original post by samloveshistory
Hi guys, I'm going to Keble this October to read straight History but I have always harboured wishes of doing Ancient and Modern History (I may or may not have been rejected for that course last application cycle!).

What are the chances of me being allowed to take some Ancient History papers? I assume course flexibility varies from college to college but I do know that Keble took an AMH applicant this year, despite not actually offering Classics or Ancient History within the college.
How would I go about requesting this? Just wait until October then try my luck or should I whack off an email?

Cheers, and have a great summer!

I think your chances might be quite good.

I'm at Worcester doing straight History, I had the option to take a paper on Augustan Rome. I also took British History I, which started in 300. Not ancient (or is it?) but very early options are definitely possible, you can also take "General" (primarily European) History papers starting from 300AD. If you do "historiography" for paper IV you might get to study Tacitus, or St. Augustine. If you study "approaches" you might get to do archaeology. So it's a very flexible course, however, I can't promise that this is the same across all colleges :smile:
Reply 1031
I've heard that some colleges put more emphasis on the HAT than gcses, and some colleges put more emphasis on gcses. Does anyone know how one would go about finding out which preference particular colleges have ? Could someone provide a list ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stevie99
I've heard that some colleges put more emphasis on the HAT than gcses, and some colleges put more emphasis on gcses. Does anyone know how one would go about finding out which preference particular colleges have ? Could someone provide a list ?

I think it will all come down to the preference of individual tutors, within each college. There is no simple list or percentage break down of how much each part of the application process is worth for History. Obviously, if you get to the interview stage, then your GCSEs will be less important than your interview performance in making their final decision.

I guess the best thing you could do is go to a college open day and ask the tutors directly, the department has no official policy on how the HAT/ GCSEs/ Personal Statement/ interview performance should be weighed in comparison with each other.
Reply 1033
so, what is your opinion on oxford history courses
Hi everyone, I'm about to start at Oxford this October and am trying to track down some of the titles off my reading list for BH3.

Has anyone on this thread done this paper?
Which books would you recommend buying (as opposed to simply borrowing)?
Is anyone looking to sell their BH3 books? I'm willing to pick up from college, or pay to have them posted to me if you've left.

Many thanks, Sam
Hi everyone, I'm about to start at Oxford this October and am trying to track down some of the titles off my reading list for BH3.

Is anyone looking to sell their BH3 books? I'm willing to pick up from college, or pay to have them posted to me if you've left.

Many thanks, Sam

Hi, I hope you're excited for Michaelmas!

I'm presuming you haven't actually been set an essay yet, you're just reading some stuff in advance?

I did BH1, so I can't help with course content, however I can give some general advice :smile:

- Have you tried contacting your college parents, via Facebook maybe? I wrote to my college mum last year and she was able to point out some of the more useful books on the reading list.

- Generally, you won't need to buy many of the books you need. When you get into the swing of things you'll be breezing through 6/7 books per essay, and you'll rarely need to look at them again if you take decent notes the first time round.

- Therefore, try to only buy books that are collections of essays, or are really must-haves, as in they are THE book for that topic.

For example, before I came up last year, I brought the core texts for my first term of historiography (so 2 books) and then another 3 books, one was a complete anthology of primary sources, one was THE book on Medieval women, and one was a "Very Short Intro" to something which I've forgotten. I found this was a good overview to prepare me for when I arrived, and I didn't buy any more books until the core texts for my 2nd term. It's hard at the moment without access to the university's libraries, but believe me, once you arrive, you will have little need to buy your books :moon:

If all else fails, the Used section on Amazon can be pretty good...

Many thanks, Sam

Hey, I did BH3 :smile: For a number of reasons, G. L. Harriss' 'Shaping the Nation' is prob'ly the best general intro. It's expensive new though. Top tip: a fair chunk of it is available free in Google Books Preview:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BMqUUu6tb_kC

I wouldn't pay more than a tenner or so for anything before you arrive tbh; you will be spoiled for choice library-wise when you get here. If you're super-keen you might want to grapple with one of the Chronicles. Froissart is the most useful imho; the Penguin edition is £12.99. Another worthwhile primary source is The Paston Letters (Oxford World Classics). It's only £7.99
Original post by arminb
I made a thread for history applicants here, feel free to join. ANY advice is welcomed.

I have made it a watched thread but tbh I have only ever applied to Oxford and the admissions process is so different to most other unis that I'm not confident I will be much use. Good luck with your application :smile:
Hi, I hope you're excited for Michaelmas!

I'm presuming you haven't actually been set an essay yet, you're just reading some stuff in advance?

I did BH1, so I can't help with course content, however I can give some general advice :smile:

- Have you tried contacting your college parents, via Facebook maybe? I wrote to my college mum last year and she was able to point out some of the more useful books on the reading list.

- Generally, you won't need to buy many of the books you need. When you get into the swing of things you'll be breezing through 6/7 books per essay, and you'll rarely need to look at them again if you take decent notes the first time round.

- Therefore, try to only buy books that are collections of essays, or are really must-haves, as in they are THE book for that topic.

For example, before I came up last year, I brought the core texts for my first term of historiography (so 2 books) and then another 3 books, one was a complete anthology of primary sources, one was THE book on Medieval women, and one was a "Very Short Intro" to something which I've forgotten. I found this was a good overview to prepare me for when I arrived, and I didn't buy any more books until the core texts for my 2nd term. It's hard at the moment without access to the university's libraries, but believe me, once you arrive, you will have little need to buy your books :moon:

If all else fails, the Used section on Amazon can be pretty good...

Excited is an understatement. As a post A-Level applicant, I've been counting down the days since January 11th!
I've decided to buy a general overview to the period. It'll give an indication of which areas I want to pursue; I've had it recommended as 'THE book' so we'll go from there.

What did you do for your General History paper?
Original post by shoshin
Hey, I did BH3 :smile: For a number of reasons, G. L. Harriss' 'Shaping the Nation' is prob'ly the best general intro. It's expensive new though. Top tip: a fair chunk of it is available free in Google Books Preview:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=BMqUUu6tb_kC

I wouldn't pay more than a tenner or so for anything before you arrive tbh; you will be spoiled for choice library-wise when you get here. If you're super-keen you might want to grapple with one of the Chronicles. Froissart is the most useful imho; the Penguin edition is £12.99. Another worthwhile primary source is The Paston Letters (Oxford World Classics). It's only £7.99

I've gone for Shaping the Nation; if nothing else, its a good paper-weight!! Haha
Thoughts on BH3 as a paper? How many of the lectures did you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending