The Student Room Group

Oxford History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Yes, I suppose so. I was doing about 4-5 for 1c and 2 but they were about 2-3 sides each, so I guess my paragraphs are long. Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think only 6 out of 40 of us got sent to other colleges from Merton. What does that mean, are we the ones they don't want? Did Merton send us out or did the other colleges approach Merton and request to see us? So confused!
Original post by darkandlight
I think only 6 out of 40 of us got sent to other colleges from Merton. What does that mean, are we the ones they don't want? Did Merton send us out or did the other colleges approach Merton and request to see us? So confused!

Don't read into it. There's absolutely no way of working out what it means so there's literally no point worrying about it.

At St Hilda's the first day all History applicants arrived we had a meeting with two History tutors/interviewers who said that some people will get called for interviews at different colleges because colleges like to compare their own applicants with applicants to other colleges and see that they're all roughly on par with each other in terms of quality. They didn't elaborate whether interviewees are chosen systematically or at random.

It doesn't necessarily meant that they don't want you - you can be interviewed elsewhere but still get an offer from your first college. (Also, Merton take around 16 students so out of 40 more than 6 are going to be rejected by them). And the other colleges could have requested to interview you based on the shared information. I know it is tough but the tutor's are being honest when they say that you shouldn't try and read anything into getting/not getting interviews elsewhere. There are a range of reasons behind having them and of outcomes - no-one can tell you what applies in your case unfortunately.
I will be a fresher at Oxford this coming October and need some advice about choosing History papers.

I'm currently deciding between General History 1 - 370-900: Transformation of the Ancient World and General History 2 - 1000-1300: Medieval Christendom and its Neighbours

I've never studied medieval history or even early modern before and so have really no clue about what I'd enjoy. So far, I lean towards cultural/social/intellectual history but of course would also like to explore a little more. So if anyone has opinions/experiences with either of these papers it would be extremely helpful!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope this group is still alive! - anyone got any suggestions for good history books now we've gone into lockdown (for a prospective history student trying to find his interests! :smile: )
Original post by JDCoey
Hope this group is still alive! - anyone got any suggestions for good history books now we've gone into lockdown (for a prospective history student trying to find his interests! :smile: )

did you get in?
Original post by JDCoey

Hi there!

I would do it the other way round... find your area of interest, then read around that. For inspiration, think of a period or character in history who interests you, the more obscure, the better!

To start you off, here are two chapters from Oxford Demystfied:

History

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=85140140&highlight=Oxford%20demystified

and History and Politics

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6492118

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending