The Student Room Group

Modern Music at Cambridge

I've heard a lot about the classical scene at Cambridge but as a trombonist and a guitarist I'm not going to be able to realistically take both up as there simply won't be enough room. So I have to choose between them. I'm Grade 8 distinction at trombone and have played in many orchestras in the past. At the same time I really enjoy singing and playing my guitar.

I haven't heard much about the modern music scene at Cambridge. I'm not into "rock" music per se - more acoustic things really. So my question is this - are there any dedicated societies (I couldn't find any)/open mic nights that cater for songwriting? Or is it simply not very popular at cambridge?
I'm no expert on this at all as I'm not a musician myself!

But a lot of people form bands or give it a go as a solo act. I'm guessing that what you really want to do is perform and as ents are organised within colleges there's plenty of opportunity to do this as if your college's ents don't do this kind of stuff, someone else's will! May Week is fantastic if you're into this as there are chances to get free entry or payment for performing at may balls.

If you're into jazz there's a fair amount of this kind of activity in Cambridge eg. Fitz Swing.
thefish_uk
I'm no expert on this at all as I'm not a musician myself!

But a lot of people form bands or give it a go as a solo act. I'm guessing that what you really want to do is perform and as ents are organised within colleges there's plenty of opportunity to do this as if your college's ents don't do this kind of stuff, someone else's will! May Week is fantastic if you're into this as there are chances to get free entry or payment for performing at may balls.

If you're into jazz there's a fair amount of this kind of activity in Cambridge eg. Fitz Swing.

Thanks for your reply! I am finding the whole societies thing a bit overwhelming - there are so many things I want to do (debating, music, sport and any other things I don't know about yet!) that I don't think I'll have time to do all of them, or whether I will be at the appropriate standard!
Yes there are tons! I've done the rounds with Chess Piece Face, and most colleges put on Open mics at least 1-2 per term. Jesus and Kings are every 2 weeks. It's not a great scene in all honesty but you'll have no problem finding gigs and meeting musicians.

I've gotten a lot of attention from it -> I ended up singing at 7 balls this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending