The Student Room Group

I urgently need help with a 2nd year problem

I'll start by saying I'm 21 years old and I have gone back to college since being out of education for 4 years. For complicated reasons mostly due to bad advise from careers advisors I switched from a BTEC college to study A levels. However my course options were limited as I was late starting and as time has gone on not having my first choice of courses has set me back in ways.

I completed AS Literature, Law and Art getting BDC in that order, not particularly great but I think I can improve greatly on them next year(I've had a difficult 12 months and have not been as focused because of this).

I hope to raise my Lit to an A and my Art to a B or even A if it's possible. However I haven't enjoyed Law at all and don't think I can preform well in it so one idea I had was to pick something up in a year. My college has told me nearly everything is impossible to do in a year; Maths, Biology, Physics, English Language infact they only offered me IT and Geography, two subjects I am not fond of at all. Yet here I have read of people doing Maths, Sciences, English etc in just a year. How is this done? Did colleges allow this?

I am so unsure of what to do I am really aiming to get BBB, I learn pretty fast and with my full dedication I think I can do it but not with Law there I need to change it desperatly it doesn't suit me at all. I also must mention I don't want to do a 3rd year, I want to move on in life and I find it hard fitting in at college with school leavers at my age an extra year will be really stressful ontop of the ALG grant only lasting 2 years. I'm not afraid of exams or workloads. I just need any advice that can help me with my situation.

Sorry for the long post I found it hard to condense.
Reply 1
To make this shorter is there anyone who can offer me advice on how to get on an A level course in one year? Would there be any way I could persuade my college to do this? Or do I have to look elsewhere. It would help greatly to have more information as I have a meeting with my college tomorrow morning.
Reply 2
If you can't do Law - you can't really do Maths A level in 1 year imho - because even I hate Law, but if it came to it - I would have the ability to get a B at law (I did Maths/Physics/Chemistry/Biology at A levels and I am pretty sure, I would have found it so much easier to do Law, even as a subject I hate).
Reply 3
It's unlikely a college is going to let you do this. As much as it pains me to say, most colleges are hellbent on league tables and you've not covered yourself in glory in the first year (I dont mean that in a detrimental way) so they aren't likely to budge on letting you do a whole A-Level in one year.

I think you need to pick a subject you already have a good basic knowledge of, because I think your only way is to tell your college that you will enter as a private candidate but want to go to their lessons for AS and A2, therefore not affecting their results. This is quite costly but if your set on doing it, it's probably your best bet :smile:
Reply 4
Is there anywhere I can read up on entering as a private candidate? I would be willing to cover costs as it'd be a huge boost to be able to do something else.

As far as which subject is harder than which, I don't think it's fair to draw a line over that just because I don't enjoy the subject. I find I have higher aptitudes for things I find interesting and the motivation also helps greatly. If I was to be stuck with LAw at A2 I'd have to retake AS and that's alot of something I really don't enjoy and don't think I'm naturally that good at either.

Latest