The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Drop ICT its **** for applications. Just concentrate on getting mega high UMS on the other 4 if you really want to do them
Reply 41
Well if you do maths, further maths, economics, physics, chemistry, and can handle it, you will be doing a very solid combination. The question is whether you can handle it. From what I have heard on here, double maths is less workload than 2 different a levels, so maybe you can do it (this is TSR though). Try doing the combination for a month or two and make a decision based on whether you are managing the workload without too much trouble or not.
Reply 42
You are doing virtually the same as me :smile:

I'm doing: Maths Mechanics, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish and Further Maths (As an enrichment)

I was originally doing Economics, and then changed it to chemistry, so that I would have a wider choice of courses, I'm sure you can cope, just keep on top of the work!
Reply 43
Originally Posted by Killerstorm2
ok whats the easiest out of of:
Biology
Art
Chemistry
Government and Politics
Theatre Studies

Well, if you can't persuade your school to let you take 4 instead of FM in the 5th block, all I can say is if you're faced with these...DO NOT DO ART. It's more time and effort than all other subjects combined.
Reply 44
i did math further maths chem n physics
trust me 4 was well enough
i spent 90% of time doing maths anyway so i reckon that will take away most of ur time!
It has to be noted that there is no wonder that state schools do less well than private schools if some of them force pupils to take five A levels; this is likely to severely compromise your grades. Madness!
Reply 46
Because we know you so well :rollseyes:

Well, you can always drop subjects early on...
Reply 47
Killerstorm2
ok whats the easiest out of of:
Biology
Art
Chemistry
Government and Politics
Theatre Studies

Government & Politics or Theatre Studies, probably the latter. Do not under any circumstances take art, its by far the hardest subject on that list (in terms of man hours required!)

My friend who was doing further maths with me took math, further math, physics, chemistry, and biology. Its certainly possible, but not easy. It depends how much you want to work really. Looking back I'd say 4 A levels is pretty much a doddle, so it shouldn't be too difficult if your clever.

If you are forced to take 5, and find it too much, I would suggest "sacrificing" one subject as it were. Don't compromise all your subjects, and your grades, over some stupid beaurocracy mess
Reply 48
kristy888
i did math further maths chem n physics
trust me 4 was well enough
i spent 90% of time doing maths anyway so i reckon that will take away most of ur time!

Conversely I spent 10% of my time doing math, 60% doing geography and 30% doing physics :x Lets hope the OPs strong point is math lol!
Reply 49
Ewan
Conversely I spent 10% of my time doing math, 60% doing geography and 30% doing physics :x Lets hope the OPs strong point is math lol!

ll though it may b that my math teachers were completely insane by setting tons of homework
i spent hours doing them n they set 3hr homeworks for the next day
v evil...
Ewan

I am ok wid maths, i know that i wouldn't have any problems.

Ewan
Government & Politics or Theatre Studies, probably the latter. Do not under any circumstances take art, its by far the hardest subject on that list (in terms of man hours required!)

My friend who was doing further maths with me took math, further math, physics, chemistry, and biology. Its certainly possible, but not easy. It depends how much you want to work really. Looking back I'd say 4 A levels is pretty much a doddle, so it shouldn't be too difficult if your clever.

If you are forced to take 5, and find it too much, I would suggest "sacrificing" one subject as it were. Don't compromise all your subjects, and your grades, over some stupid beaurocracy mess

If i take off further maths, then it would make my chances for engineering lower, also i still would need to choose 1 option from block 1. So if i was to drop a subject...how am i able to do that? can we drop it or change it like within 1 month?

emmie19
Well, you can always drop subjects early on...

How long do we have before we can drop a subject?

Ray_Han
Well if you do maths, further maths, economics, physics, chemistry, and can handle it, you will be doing a very solid combination. The question is whether you can handle it. From what I have heard on here, double maths is less workload than 2 different a levels, so maybe you can do it (this is TSR though). Try doing the combination for a month or two and make a decision based on whether you are managing the workload without too much trouble or not.

Thats the problem, i don't think i can handle this combination with "chemistry", it would take lot of work for me to handle just 4, and if i was to do another "SCIENCE" subject with it..i'm dead.. lol..because even though i got A* in chemistry for GCSE, i know that it aint gonna be the same type of work at A-Level..

xmaidenx
You are doing virtually the same as me

I'm doing: Maths Mechanics, Physics, Chemistry, Spanish and Further Maths (As an enrichment)

I was originally doing Economics, and then changed it to chemistry, so that I would have a wider choice of courses, I'm sure you can cope, just keep on top of the work!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
You are coping with that?
Reply 51
i joined the education engineering scheme and they said that they really liked the combination that i was doing
maths, fmaths, physics and chem so if you drop ICT and focus on getting 4As then you will have no difficulties in getting what you want
however if you decide to push yourself and rather than 4As you get more Bs than As that wouldnt be worth it at all right
moreover 4 a levels are more than enough for any university application
5 A levels are just a waste of time in my opinion
it leaves you with very little time to do any extra thing
Reply 52
It is do-able, without sacrificing a social life.

Maybe see how it goes? I wouldn't recommend I.T. though! :smile:
THANK YOU ALL!! Sorted! I changed it to just 4, so i will be doing, Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics. Hopefully i will get high grades in all of them now with less work load and then i'll be on my way to engineering. Cheers!
Reply 54
Killerstorm2
I

How long do we have before we can drop a subject?

?

It varies from skl/college to skl/college.

Look, you need to stop being irrational and think it though, hard. Could you honestly cope with 5 AS Levels? It's been done (but few get all As). So it may be a pointless exercise in itself if you're aiming for oxbridge or other top unis... Since 4 AS As should be enough.

Latest