The Student Room Group

Iran Confirms First Woman Minister

The Iranian Parliament approved President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's nominee for Health Minister,Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi, yesterday. Dastjerdi is the country's first woman to be appointed to the cabinet since Iran's Islamic Revolution in 1979. The nominations of two other women,
Fatemeh Ajorlou for the welfare and social security minister and Susan Keshavarz for the education minister position were blocked, reported the BBC.

After her nomination was approved, Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi reportedly said, "I think today women reached their long-standing dream of having a woman in the cabinet to pursue their demands...This is an important step for women and I hold my head high." During the confirmation process, she also said, "Women must have a greater role in the country's affairs...Where there are women and men working together, miracles take place," according to the Guardian UK.

Dastjerdi is reportedly a hardline conservative who has previously proposed gender segregated healthcare. She is a gynecologist and currently teaches at the Tehran University
of Medical Sciences, where she is also a member of the Medical Ethics Board Committee,reported Bloomberg.

Ahmadinejad was sworn in to his second term in office August 5, following widespread massive protests both in Iran and internationally after June's disputed presidential election. Women played a major role in the public uprising that followed the election and were particularly visible during the election campaigns.

There was strong support among women for reformist candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi whose wife, Zahra Rahnavard, played an especially visible role in her husband's campaign and continued to speak out during post-election protests. There is widespread speculation that Ahmadinejad's move to appoint women to the cabinet is a means of courting women's support after the post-election turmoil.

Media Resources: BBC 9/3/09; Bloomberg 9/3/09; Guardian UK 9/3/09; Feminist Daily Newswire 8/17/09

I think this is interesting... It seems like Iran is moving forward...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
852er

I think this is interesting... It seems like Iran is moving forward...?

Moving forward....by rigging an election? :rolleyes:

Damn his ultra conservative women ministers. If that scum Ahmadinejad and his patron Khamenei gave a hoot about women's rights they'd let them have the freedom to dress as they please, equal rights as men in the workplace, equal rights in the courts and so on.

Here's a rather good article on Ahmadinejad's women ministers:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/aug/17/iran-cabinet-women

The Islamic Republic of Iran does not care for equality or freedom. For thirty years it has been a dictatorship that slaughters Iranians who stand up to it, and tries to replace Iranian culture and nationhood with Arabo-Islamic values. Never forget:

She's still extremely conservative and won't do much to further the status of women in Iran. I don't really see this as a "step forward" to be honest.
Reply 3
35mm_
She's still extremely conservative and won't do much to further the status of women in Iran. I don't really see this as a "step forward" to be honest.

Well quite, it's an obvious and pathetic attempt by the Islamic dictators to try and placate the West. The OP has already fallen for it, by assuming Iran is "moving forward". That is precisely what the Mullah regime wants, they want to you to forget about the protestors (who are still demonstrating, being raped, tortured and killed btw) and they want you to appease their regime.
Democracy
Well quite, it's an obvious and pathetic attempt by the Islamic dictators to try and placate the West. The OP has already fallen for it, by assuming Iran is "moving forward". That is precisely what the Mullah regime wants, they want to you to forget about the protestors (who are still demonstrating, being raped, tortured and killed btw) and they want you to appease their regime.

I would say that it was more of movement to appease the more moderate Iranians in the wake of the election rather than the West.
Reply 5
Baby Bye
I would say that it was more of movement to appease the more moderate Iranians in the wake of the election rather than the West.

No it wasn't. First off, using the term "moderate" Iranians when describing the main players in the Islamic Republic is a misnomer. Khatami, Mousavi etc are not "moderates", they are devoted servants of the Regime and the Constitution. The likes of Rafsanjani were never on Mousavi's side to begin with, they just flirted with both sides before eventually going back to Khamenei's camp.

This move is an attempt by the hardliners to a) appease the youth (which won't work as the youth are sick of this regime) and b) an attempt to pacify the Western governments and make them believe that the Islamic Republic is meritocratic, egalitarian, etc. In other words the Islamic Republic is trying to show the world "hey we can be friends, we're like you!". This is a lie. The Islamic Republic, since its inception has been fundementally bigoted and undemocratic.

The truly moderate Iranians are either dead, exiled or in prison.
Reply 6
Although this is a step to be commended, Iran's democracy will never be acceptable to Western states so long as it is dominated by behind the scenes theological rulers.
Truly independent, powerful states don't need to be accepted by others, what matters is which countries and what values it chooses to accept.
Reply 8
852er

The Iranian Parliament approved President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's nominee for Health Minister,Marzieh Vahid Dastjerdi, yesterday. Dastjerdi is the country's first woman....................

I don't care what Iran does and when it does it and why it does it. It's a corrupt state where the weak are preyed upon and where the rich ayatollahs just shag little girls and get fat.

having said that. I don't think a war on Iran will achieve much....just get the main ayatollahs at the back taken out - then time will heal the rest....

P.S im not anti Islamic either...I just hate Iran so much because of its corruption.
In no way is Iran the most corrupt country on earth.
Reply 10
Democracy

Well, I haven't completely fallen for it... I mean. I live in Hong Kong, China, and the media here is completely different to the western media (in some ways, i.e. the perspective) and there wasn't much coverage about this and the few articles that did get published portrayed this issue of a more.... say... political move, like a move to shut people up about female rights.

Well Hong Kong and may I dare say, China, has always been rather neutral about Iranian politics... the Iran elections just now weren't that much of an issue to most people... And the media here predicted that Ahmadinejad was going to win anyway.

Moreover critics said, even if Ahmadinejad lost... The Iranian politics won't change THAT MUCH... Just that the president will be a little bit more cooperative.
Reply 11
rich8980
Although this is a step to be commended, Iran's democracy will never be acceptable to Western states so long as it is dominated by behind the scenes theological rulers.

Agree!!!!!!
852er
Well, I haven't completely fallen for it... I mean. I live in Hong Kong, China, and the media here is completely different to the western media (in some ways, i.e. the perspective) and there wasn't much coverage about this and the few articles that did get published portrayed this issue of a more.... say... political move, like a move to shut people up about female rights.

Well Hong Kong and may I dare say, China, has always been rather neutral about Iranian politics... the Iran elections just now weren't that much of an issue to most people... And the media here predicted that Ahmadinejad was going to win anyway.

Moreover critics said, even if Ahmadinejad lost... The Iranian politics won't change THAT MUCH... Just that the president will be a little bit more cooperative.

To be honest, the Chinese media would remain neutral given that China is one of Iran's few (vague) allies.

Also, I do agree with your last paragraph, Mousavi is NOT an ideal choice, no President in Iran will ever bring freedom and democracy until the unelected elements of Iranian politics, i.e. the Supreme Leader, the Guardian Council, etc are permanently removed.
Reply 13
maths-enthusiast

yes, like the CCP - Chinese Communist Party

Even though I have very pro-china parents and I am very pro-china myself... The CCP is seriously corrupt... In some ways even more corrup then Iran..

But who am I to judge?..
Reply 14
Democracy
To be honest, the Chinese media would remain neutral given that China is one of Iran's few (vague) allies.

Also, I do agree with your last paragraph, Mousavi is NOT an ideal choice, no President in Iran will ever bring freedom and democracy until the unelected elements of Iranian politics, i.e. the Supreme Leader, the Guardian Council, etc are permanently removed.

Yes I guess... I just got really annoyed when I tried talk to people and they won't know anything about the Iranian election since no major newspaper reported it (and TV news). Well, it could be because they're just ignorant people, and there are lots of them in my school.

To be honest I think Hong Kong's newspapers/news are alright... I think it's much better then mainland China's .... (i say this even though I am pro-China and my family are pro-china too)
Reply 15
maths-enthusiast

Have you read my demolition of one of the more bizarre unsubstantiated and presumably rhetorical claims you have made? The one about western "incest". Yeah, it turns out that there's significantly more of that in the arab/muslim world, but that you are still a bigot...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21147789#post21147789

In other news we finally agree on something - the most corrupt country would probably be Egypt.

Obviously I am being facetious - it would be quite hard to come up with criteria for corruption and measure them accurately, and frankly I have no idea. That said, if you were going to follow up your statement with a claim that the most corrupt place is "Amerika" or the "Immorral incestuous drunkard western world" as a whole, then no, one doesn't even need criteria to make that distinction.
Reply 16
IEven though this is an obvious attempt to legimetise the Ahmadinejad government, t is a small step forward no matter how conservative she is.
852er
yes, like the CCP - Chinese Communist Party

Even though I have very pro-china parents and I am very pro-china myself... The CCP is seriously corrupt... In some ways even more corrup then Iran..

But who am I to judge?..

I don't know about China more than you do as a Chinese yourself.

However, you should have read what I quoted. In no way is Iran the most corrupt country on Earth. Do you disagree?
JJ1
Have you read my demolition of one of the more bizarre unsubstantiated and presumably rhetorical claims you have made? The one about western "incest". Yeah, it turns out that there's significantly more of that in the arab/muslim world, but that you are still a bigot...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=21147789#post21147789

That's totally irrelevant and I can't be bothered to answer so many posts at so many places in so many fora.

Just let it be known that all your sources are western. We know how immoral the western world is, isn't it? Homosexuality, incest, bestiality, perversion, drunken stupor, drug abuse, immorality, paedophilia, murder, gang warfare, wedlock, and the list goes on.

In other news we finally agree on something - the most corrupt country would probably be Egypt.

I don't think so.

Obviously I am being facetious - it would be quite hard to come up with criteria for corruption and measure them accurately, and frankly I have no idea. That said, if you were going to follow up your statement with a claim that the most corrupt place is "Amerika" or the "Immorral incestuous drunkard western world" as a whole, then no, one doesn't even need criteria to make that distinction.

I agree that you are being facetious. Not atypical for someone raised in the immoral, drunkard, incestuous Western world.
Reply 19
maths-enthusiast
I don't know about China more than you do as a Chinese yourself.

However, you should have read what I quoted. In no way is Iran the most corrupt country on Earth. Do you disagree?

OOPS i misread what you wrote!!!!:eek:

sorry

Hmm actually I don't know... Certainly I don't think that's the case. But which country in your opinion is the most corrupt!?

Latest

Trending

Trending