The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Livvyxo
I'm hoping oxford brookes, as I'm being realistic; I doubt I have a chance in hell for Edinburgh or Manchester.
But what if I get like four rejections, and I don't have an insurance?
I won't fail to get the B in Politics as it's all I'm doing at college RN but still, it's not nice to not have anything to fall back on!

What exactly is the course at UCLAN, and did you apply last year as it's unconditional?

God University is such a nerve wracking experience.
It was so easy last year when my standards were low and I was just convinced I'd be happy with any crappy job and if I got a degree I just got one. It almost sucks having a dream sometimes cause you actually have something to lose !

oxford brookes should get back to you soon, i got a conditional from them the other week. and if you know you are deffo going to get the B you don't need to worry about an insurance then tbh.

and uclan the course is japanese and tesol. and lol no, i applied this year but all they want is 200something points and two A levels.

well, i suppose. i thought this gap year was going to be **** and yet it was the best thing thats happened to me. you never know whats going to happen.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 81
starhae
well, i suppose. i thought this gap year was going to be **** and yet it was the best thing thats happened to me. you never know whats going to happen.

I couldn't agree more :biggrin:
I was seriously depressed this summer. I had a place at the nearest uni to do sociology and I couldn't think of anything I wanted to do less with my life. All the japanese courses I'd ever seen were asking for like AAB and I left college with 2-alevels, so I didn't even think it was possible.
When I actually did my research and found some courses that were in my reach I got all super motivated and went back to college!
What have you got planned for this next year then? (:
Reply 82
Livvyxo

What have you got planned for this next year then? (:

i'm going to korea with adam and alex ( i think you've added them on facebook ) in february (which i'm actually booked accomo for tomorrow!) and i've just been working full time which i have really been enjoying more than i thought i would.

then i think after korea i'll go and visit some of my friends in europe (: the gap year has given me much more experience, money and i'll be much more well traveled too. i know what to expect in uni now too. its given me time to relax.

you?
Reply 83
starhae
i'm going to korea with adam and alex ( i think you've added them on facebook ) in february (which i'm actually booked accomo for tomorrow!) and i've just been working full time which i have really been enjoying more than i thought i would.

then i think after korea i'll go and visit some of my friends in europe (: the gap year has given me much more experience, money and i'll be much more well traveled too. i know what to expect in uni now too. its given me time to relax.

you?

That's awesome, I've got money saved up for travels but I'm undecided as to where I'd like to go. (Korea or Japan) So what are your plans for korea? I mean are you gonna visit anywhere specific or are you just gonna wing it :biggrin:
What are you working as?
I'm back at college, just picking up an extra a-level so I can actually get into uni :smile:
I emailed seas today to ask about being able to transfer to Korean and Linguistics if I met the grades =[
Reply 85
Livvyxo
That's awesome, I've got money saved up for travels but I'm undecided as to where I'd like to go. (Korea or Japan) So what are your plans for korea? I mean are you gonna visit anywhere specific or are you just gonna wing it :biggrin:
What are you working as?
I'm back at college, just picking up an extra a-level so I can actually get into uni :smile:

yeppp, you told me. politics was it?
and plans for korea, staying in a hostel in seoul and just wandering i guess. we have ideas of where we want to go and a lot of our friends who have been have given us places to go. i'm sure we won't be bored :smile:
and i'm working as a waitress.
I wanna do linguistics and korean!
but so far i only have an offer for korean :frown:
i wanted straight korean, but i thought english would be good for teaching it abroad!
are you guys all starting in 2010?
Reply 87
emilyameliarose
I wanna do linguistics and korean!
but so far i only have an offer for korean :frown:
i wanted straight korean, but i thought english would be good for teaching it abroad!
are you guys all starting in 2010?

Yup! Are you starting then as well? I keep forgetting this is technically a gap year cause I'm at college ^^
What else have you applied for?
Yeh i am!
i've applied for korean, linguistics & korean, just linguistics, and then lingusitics & korean at soas! how about you?
ah i'm gonna make sure my gap year until september 2011 is epic! i hope it is!! :biggrin: what you been doing at college?
Reply 89
emilyameliarose
Yeh i am!
i've applied for korean, linguistics & korean, just linguistics, and then lingusitics & korean at soas! how about you?
ah i'm gonna make sure my gap year until september 2011 is epic! i hope it is!! :biggrin: what you been doing at college?

2011? I thought you were starting september 2010 :smile:
I went back to college to sit AS and A2 Politics in one year, get an extra a-level! it sucks being back and times going so slowly but I need the qualifications to actually get on the course so it's worthwhile in the end!
What course do you want the most?
noo because i'm going to korea to do that volunteer program for a year now! it looks pretty exciting and worthwhile so :smile:
aww bless! i want linguistics & korean! just for teaching english and stuff i think it'd be the most helpfullllll.
sooo tired of waiting for all the ucas offers though!!!
what you doing next year then? travelling?
Reply 91
emilyameliarose
noo because i'm going to korea to do that volunteer program for a year now! it looks pretty exciting and worthwhile so :smile:
aww bless! i want linguistics & korean! just for teaching english and stuff i think it'd be the most helpfullllll.
sooo tired of waiting for all the ucas offers though!!!
what you doing next year then? travelling?

Nope, I'm going straight to uni :smile:
I've been lucky enough to have done a lot of traveling around the world due to my dad's work, and I wanna get to uni asap so I reckon I might just take a short break away this summer! so nervous about going away on my own though!! I'm hoping to tag along with my uncle and his japanese wife XD Seriously, me in an airport would be fail, I think I'd be alright in the country though but I'm totally completely useless with visas and all that stuff.
Are you going on the volunteer program alone? I read you could do a few months? I wouldn't mind that, at least you're with other people in your position I suppose!
Reply 92
UNCONDITIONAL!!! see you guys 2010 =D
unconditional! wow well done, i'm so jealous i really wanted an unconditional!:frown:
yeah i'm going alone, completely crazy cause i'm such a nervous flyer and not really very indepedent at all! but i guess i'll learn to be which is always a plus :smile:
oh i thought you said you were deferring another year?!
aww a japanese wife, nice! you're really lucky i've had like no chance to travel at all so i'm making the most of my gap year!! haha :smile:
they told me they prefer 3months to a year so i'm doing 3 months then 6 months :smile: exciting!
Just so I don't over take the facebook page (whoops too alte) ~.~ I'd like to announce my COWARDICE!!

;.; I had the golden chance to transfer to Linguistics and Korean but I had no faith in myself getting that A and Im too scared Ill be told theres no more spaces left for Korean if I dont get the ABB so I just wasted two peoples time to get no where -.- GAHAGIDBFO

My little rant is over now.
Reply 95
emilyameliarose
unconditional! wow well done, i'm so jealous i really wanted an unconditional!:frown:
yeah i'm going alone, completely crazy cause i'm such a nervous flyer and not really very indepedent at all! but i guess i'll learn to be which is always a plus :smile:
oh i thought you said you were deferring another year?!
aww a japanese wife, nice! you're really lucky i've had like no chance to travel at all so i'm making the most of my gap year!! haha :smile:
they told me they prefer 3months to a year so i'm doing 3 months then 6 months :smile: exciting!

I might look into it, see if I can fill up my summer when I leave college (AGAIN T__T)
well my dad used to work for a Japanese international company, which means he worked everywhere EXCEPT Japan. which was frustrating for me as you can imagine! :smile:
You'll learn so much, they say you can never know yourself until you travel alone, you're so lucky youre actually going for it! :biggrin:
Reply 96
Hi, does anyone know where the classes and lectures for korean are held within the campus? Last I heard was that it was in the Arts tower when I last went to the open day, but it has moved to a new location?
last time i went it was in there i think, is that the place next to the library? but it was moving! so i can't really remember! :frown:
OhYumMilk
Just so I don't over take the facebook page (whoops too alte) ~.~ I'd like to announce my COWARDICE!!

;.; I had the golden chance to transfer to Linguistics and Korean but I had no faith in myself getting that A and Im too scared Ill be told theres no more spaces left for Korean if I dont get the ABB so I just wasted two peoples time to get no where -.- GAHAGIDBFO

My little rant is over now.

have you applied to both?!
Reply 99
I sent off my ucas last week for Korean and Korean w/ Japanese :]
I'm just hoping my tutor did my reference :/

Latest

Trending

Trending