The Student Room Group

dealing with post viral fatigue

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi there, my name is Danielle and I'm a 20 year old (deferred) student who contracted glandular fever about a year and a half ago. I wanted to know if you believe in post viral fatigue? Contrary to your standard description of people with cfs of whatever you want to call it, I despise of laziness, hate it. Before I got really ill I was a full time student with a 28 hour job and lots of ambition. I went to the doctors expecting them to tell me that the reason I was so horribly ill (at this stage I was fainting and puking and aching) was because of some infection/syndrome that I would get treatment for and then get on with my life. Alas he told me I had m.e/cfs ... I'd never heard of these things and completely disagreed with him at first so hardly could have been faking the symptoms. I prefer not to use the term m.e and rather refer to my illness as post viral fatigue syndrome as I don't want to except the idea of a chronic, untreatable illness. Having said that though, after the worst five months of my entire life attempting to get better and although having some improvement still being no where near a position that allows me to work or have a proper life, it's getting quite hard to believe that there isn't something more going on. I regulate my sleep, I don't drink, I don't so drugs, I don't smoke, I don't take in any caffeine, I don't eat fast food, I even try and avoid sugary treats (although I do give in to the odd chocolate bar), I've been to therapy, I've had physiotherapy and I've tried graded exercise therapy, I look after my body and try to keep positive... Alas I am still passing out in tesco if I've been walking for too long that day... I just wondered what your opinion might be on my case?
Reply 21
Hi doll2847 i just read your storey sounds alot like me.I had b6 toxity from taking b complex which triggred my cfs started 2 years ago :-( its terrible from taking harmless vitamin.my systoms are brain fog fatigue ear pain with to much exercise sometimes i feel like important coming down with flu.Mine was not triggered by virus like most people.Do you take any herbs or supplements?.
Reply 22
Original post by ashlene
Hi doll2847 i just read your storey sounds alot like me.I had b6 toxity from taking b complex which triggred my cfs started 2 years ago :-( its terrible from taking harmless vitamin.my systoms are brain fog fatigue ear pain with to much exercise sometimes i feel like important
coming down with flu.Mine was not triggered by virus like most people.Do you take any herbs or supplements?.

Hi, I do take a few vitamins although that is more down to deficiency rather than a belief that any of them directly aid my cfs as I have not noticed any correlation :frown: I'm so sorry to hear that you are ill and I hope you are getting good medical support. Have you got Instagram? I've recently found an online community of people with chronic health conditions on Instagram and I though you might be interested as it helps a lot to know that you're not alone ❤️ Just search the hashtag #spoonie and hopefully other people will be able to help you with some advice more than I have :smile: xxx
Original post by Doll2807
Hi there, my name is Danielle and I'm a 20 year old (deferred) student who contracted glandular fever about a year and a half ago. I wanted to know if you believe in post viral fatigue? Contrary to your standard description of people with cfs of whatever you want to call it, I despise of laziness, hate it. Before I got really ill I was a full time student with a 28 hour job and lots of ambition. I went to the doctors expecting them to tell me that the reason I was so horribly ill (at this stage I was fainting and puking and aching) was because of some infection/syndrome that I would get treatment for and then get on with my life. Alas he told me I had m.e/cfs ... I'd never heard of these things and completely disagreed with him at first so hardly could have been faking the symptoms. I prefer not to use the term m.e and rather refer to my illness as post viral fatigue syndrome as I don't want to except the idea of a chronic, untreatable illness. Having said that though, after the worst five months of my entire life attempting to get better and although having some improvement still being no where near a position that allows me to work or have a proper life, it's getting quite hard to believe that there isn't something more going on. I regulate my sleep, I don't drink, I don't so drugs, I don't smoke, I don't take in any caffeine, I don't eat fast food, I even try and avoid sugary treats (although I do give in to the odd chocolate bar), I've been to therapy, I've had physiotherapy and I've tried graded exercise therapy, I look after my body and try to keep positive... Alas I am still passing out in tesco if I've been walking for too long that day... I just wondered what your opinion might be on my case?
Have they suggested antidepressants at all? Edit: I know you don't have anxiety/depression but they often suggest it with CFS as a trial.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Danielle,

how are you getting on at the moment?I was diagnosed with glandular fever 16 months ago and still don't have much energy, it hasn't helped that family have been very unsympathetic, kicked me out the house among other things.

So far it has been very up and down, I eat very healthy, around 10 portions of veg a day, have also recently been meditating around 90 minutes a day and supplement with Vitamin C, these things do seem to help considerably.

Though I sometimes have doubts (like everyone) I am confident of a full recovery but know it could take 1-5+ years.Hope you are doing good, and feeling a little healthier! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest