The Student Room Group

Have I got it wrong?!

Hey, I've been reading through what you guys put about English today...and even though I like English, I'm worried because I haven't done some of the things you guys said...like on the Nissan ad, I put that the imagery wasnt good because it didnt show the features clearly and the main colour was blue, which contradicts the feminine idea...but will i still get marks even tho ive said its not good? Also, Im worried I havent emphasised the car has a personality thing, Ive put the personification about the curves etc, but nothing about it having a voice...Ive put that it empathises with women to, but is sexist in its views...and finally lol, the argue one, for the driving lessons, was it OK to use humour and rhetoric? Or did it have to be mostly serious? Cheers for the help!

Scroll to see replies

citylover
Hey, I've been reading through what you guys put about English today...and even though I like English, I'm worried because I haven't done some of the things you guys said...like on the Nissan ad, I put that the imagery wasnt good because it didnt show the features clearly and the main colour was blue, which contradicts the feminine idea...but will i still get marks even tho ive said its not good? Also, Im worried I havent emphasised the car has a personality thing, Ive put the personification about the curves etc, but nothing about it having a voice...Ive put that it empathises with women to, but is sexist in its views...and finally lol, the argue one, for the driving lessons, was it OK to use humour and rhetoric? Or did it have to be mostly serious? Cheers for the help!

As long as you justify and prove what you say...then you'll get marks! There is no right or wrong answer in English.
Yo Luke :smile: Guess Who ???? :d
Reply 3
i dont do the same exam board as u but...in my mock i misinterpreted the question about the "value of heritage sites" and i wrote about how you shouldnt go, when u were meant to say why you should, but i still got 14/20, although that may not seem good, the best mark i got was 16/20, so really it was for me. and they did write at the bottom of the paper that i misread the question
Reply 4
citylover
That's fine. It asks "how effective" the pictures are. That means in your opinion did they work. It can be yes or no, or a bit of both (as in my case.) I didnt mention personfication at all, oops, thats not totally necessary is it? I was saving all that for the poetry.
Reply 5
Well I just mentioned that the car's "curviness" was like a woman which appealed to them...and I even managed to bring in the Iraq War with my closing statement on the argue question :eek: :biggrin:
Reply 6
citylover
Well I just mentioned that the car's "curviness" was like a woman which appealed to them...and I even managed to bring in the Iraq War with my closing statement on the argue question :eek: :biggrin:

Lol the Iraq war!

One question: how????

Unless you went totally off topic.
Reply 7
lol well i didnt...surprisingly...my end statement was something like, "Well, Mr Blair, see sense and allow this future generation the chance to enhance their lives...give the workers of tomorrow this opportunity...and one more thing, if people know how to drive cars, surely theyll be able to learn how to drive armoured tanks, don't you think prime minister?" I hope the marker isnt pro-Blair...
Dont worry about it, theres nothing you can do now!! lol just concentrate on the next exam!
Reply 9
citylover

Well you wont lose marks, but it would help to talk about the way the metaphor about the car speaking a different language works, you can get a 1/3 of the marks by making a single good point, dont worry. And its great it you chuck in humour and rhetorical questions, the humour oftens makes what you say ironic which will work in your favour.
Reply 10
citylover
Hey, I've been reading through what you guys put about English today...and even though I like English, I'm worried because I haven't done some of the things you guys said...like on the Nissan ad, I put that the imagery wasnt good because it didnt show the features clearly and the main colour was blue, which contradicts the feminine idea...but will i still get marks even tho ive said its not good?
As people have said, as long as your comments were rational and you backed them up with evidence and a solid explanation then you'll still get the marks.

I also said some of the images were ineffective. -I wasn't sure what the fourth picture along on the top row was meant to be and I questioned that it appeared to be a male hand doing whatever it was, thus contradicting the advert. *shrug*

citylover
lol well i didnt...surprisingly...my end statement was something like, "Well, Mr Blair, see sense and allow this future generation the chance to enhance their lives...give the workers of tomorrow this opportunity...and one more thing, if people know how to drive cars, surely theyll be able to learn how to drive armoured tanks, don't you think prime minister?" I hope the marker isnt pro-Blair...

*raised eyebrow* Can I ask how that connected to what you'd done?
Reply 11
It didn't lol, I was bored at the end of the exam...couldn't think of anythin to end it with...plus as it was for a teenage magazine I thought that other prominent issues for teenagers may be touched upon...thats my justification anyway lol...oh well, it's not like I'm gonna lose marks...hopefully :redface:
wtf citylover....ur use of english is craaaaaaaaaaazy
im s*** at eng lol
Reply 13
lmao crazy how? :biggrin: And youre not bad at english at all!
Reply 14
I wrote a joke and automatically put lmao after it today, lol, crossed it out tho!
wow wished id done something silly like that lol, i was sooo bored. someones phone went off in the middle of the exams, the ringtone was Special D - Come with me, shall nver forget that song!
Reply 16
One has gone off in ours 2 days in a row...today it was the simpsons theme tune! :biggrin:
Reply 17
crazybabeamz
wow wished id done something silly like that lol, i was sooo bored. someones phone went off in the middle of the exams, the ringtone was Special D - Come with me, shall nver forget that song!

They deserve it for not having it off in the exam hall..
i thought they werent alowed in the exam hall in the first place? We got told we'd be disqualified from all our exams with that board if they found one on us.
Reply 19
NSiky
i thought they werent alowed in the exam hall in the first place? We got told we'd be disqualified from all our exams with that board if they found one on us.

wow, harsh, we were told that if we have phones on us, to make sure we switch them off, nothing about not being alowed them at all..

Latest