The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
prospectivEEconomist
If you think the admission tutors care about the environment, then why are you worried? :s-smilie:

I don't think they care about the environment. I just don't like to be reminded of that fact.
Reply 21
rawkingpunkster
OP, don't fret. Your A in Math will put you in good stead. Warwick should accept you. They accepted me even though I dropped a grade in IB math :smile:

Are you trying for LSE and Oxbridge?

Thanks, I'm panicking like crazy though. On one side everyone is telling em I have great grades and will get good offers, on the other I'm being told that I'm gonna get rejected completely.
Reply 22
Paulwhy
That is a difficulty.

Either you have told me that before (sorry for forgetting) or you are not the only person making that transition.

good.

Yeah, I told you that before when I was planning on PPE or Phil & Econ.
In your honest opinion, will I get any good offers and should I reconsider my degree choice if I want to go to a very good uni?
Reply 23
DriftingBore
Yeah, I told you that before when I was planning on PPE or Phil & Econ.
In your honest opinion, will I get any good offers and should I reconsider my degree choice if I want to go to a very good uni?

If you want to do economics you should do economics. It is straightforwrad to get offers outside top 11. And if the 12th uni is not good enough for someone then that suggests they are not that into the subject IMO.

In terms of whether you will get good offers. The answer is probably. But:
i)You need a good PS that sells your interest and ability as an economist and as a student.
ii) with economics, unlike some subjects, AAAA will not give a free pass into the top 11 unis.
Reply 24
Paulwhy
If you want to do economics you should do economics. It is straightforwrad to get offers outside top 11. And if the 12th uni is not good enough for someone then that suggests they are not that into the subject IMO.

In terms of whether you will get good offers. The answer is probably. But:
i)You need a good PS that sells your interest and ability as an economist and as a student.
ii) with economics, unlike some subjects, AAAA will not give a free pass into the top 11 unis.

I do want to do economics. The 12th uni is not my ideal but of course if it came to it I would go there without a doubt.

I am working hard on my PS, getting as many people to help me as possible. Thanks for your advice, I will follow it as well as I can, you are obviously an incredibly knowledgeable source.
Reply 25
DriftingBore
I do want to do economics. The 12th uni is not my ideal but of course if it came to it I would go there without a doubt.

Then I think you have answered your own question.

DriftingBore
I am working hard on my PS, getting as many people to help me as possible. Thanks for your advice, I will follow it as well as I can, you are obviously an incredibly knowledgeable source.

Ask multiple people is a good idea.
Reply 26
I'm going to do Economics AS level by January. Any recommendations on which exam board to do?
Reply 27
DriftingBore
I'm going to do Economics AS level by January. Any recommendations on which exam board to do?

edexcel
Reply 28
DriftingBore

Not AQA. I didn't like AQA's AS economics. :s-smilie:
Edexcel as neomilan suggested.
Reply 29
neomilan
edexcel

Greg.
Not AQA. I didn't like AQA's AS economics.
Edexcel as neomilan suggested.

Any reason? OCR looks simpler...
Reply 30
One more question, should I mention my reasons for changing from medicine to economics in my personal statement? I have lots of extra-curriculars (such as volunteering) that are quite obviously medicine based...
Reply 31
DriftingBore
Any reason? OCR looks simpler...

edexcel text book, unit guides and past papers are very good
text book maybe not amazing for the price it costs, but still ok
unit guides for unit 1 and unit 2 were absolute life savers, make sure you buy them, if i had not sold mine already i would have directed you to my amazon sellers page!
Reply 32
neomilan
edexcel text book, unit guides and past papers are very good
text book maybe not amazing for the price it costs, but still ok
unit guides for unit 1 and unit 2 were absolute life savers, make sure you buy them, if i had not sold mine already i would have directed you to my amazon sellers page!

ahh ok, thanks!

i dismissed edexcel pretty quick after flicking through the spec, will look at some papers and see if it appeals more
Reply 33
Okey dokey, I'm almost all sorted: PS is good length and I'm pretty happy with it and I have my choices.

Quick reminder: I have 4A*'s and 7A's at GCSE and 4A's at A level in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology and I'm teaching myself Economics AS in my gap year.

I plan to apply to:

Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
UCL
Exeter

The only thing I'm having trouble with is the Bristol choice. I really like the sound of Economics and Management at Bristol and have a good slant on my management skills in both PS and reference. Would it be wise for me to apply for this course rather than straight Econ.? Thanks
Reply 34
DriftingBore
Okey dokey, I'm almost all sorted: PS is good length and I'm pretty happy with it and I have my choices.

Quick reminder: I have 4A*'s and 7A's at GCSE and 4A's at A level in Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Sociology and I'm teaching myself Economics AS in my gap year.

I plan to apply to:

Bristol
Nottingham
Warwick
UCL
Exeter

The only thing I'm having trouble with is the Bristol choice. I really like the sound of Economics and Management at Bristol and have a good slant on my management skills in both PS and reference. Would it be wise for me to apply for this course rather than straight Econ.? Thanks

If you are applying for Econ at your 4 certain chocies why are you wasting space on management?
Reply 35
Paulwhy
If you are applying for Econ at your 4 certain chocies why are you wasting space on management?

Wasting space in my PS?
Reply 36
DriftingBore
Wasting space in my PS?

by talking about management.
Reply 37
Paulwhy
by talking about management.

been thinking about it lots and i'm not going to apply for the joint course and i've cut out some of the leadership waffle from my PS. the choices above are all finalised now. thanks!
Reply 38
DriftingBore
been thinking about it lots and i'm not going to apply for the joint course and i've cut out some of the leadership waffle from my PS. the choices above are all finalised now. thanks!

Yes, 1 senetence on leadership would be sufficient.
Reply 39
i got very similar gcse's to you, and ive also been told theres no point in applyin to warwick which is fair enough, but i would advise applying to bath birmingham and bristol, these are good choices and you have a decent chance their

Latest

Trending

Trending