The Student Room Group
i always thought havering college was a sixth form :confused:

does it do degrees now too??

anyway I had friends who travelled further who lived in Havering to come to where I went to college because apparently a lot of stabbings happen at Havering College ://

but they may not be true
No there are two colleges in havering one college is open to all regardless of educational background and the other is just a 6th form college.
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone is studying social work at Havering College. Is it very competitive to get in there?
i'm a average kind of student with NVQ Level 3 in Health & Social Care.
please advice me...

...many thanks.
Hi
Did you take up your offer at havering college..
I have a an offer to start September
Many thanks
Hi Matisa,
No, they offered me to start with a foundation diploma instead. I told them to f***k off!
Hi all, I have just finished a BA (hons) in social work. The college takes a lot of stick, but once you get your head around the course and staff, it really is a good bet.
I had two statutory placements which I now hear is unheard of at other unis, the staff were more like friends when I left beacuse the groups are small and you get really intense discussion, and landed myself a solid ASYE post with a local authority having achieved a First Class pass.
There is also good support from the OU if you search it out.
In any project, you get out what you put in...the same is the case here...get to know people and they will help. The library staff, and student support team are excellent too!
The canteens are not great, and HE space is limited but these are small prices to pay. Good luck to you all.
Original post by Dame Dolly
Hi all, I have just finished a BA (hons) in social work. The college takes a lot of stick, but once you get your head around the course and staff, it really is a good bet.
I had two statutory placements which I now hear is unheard of at other unis, the staff were more like friends when I left beacuse the groups are small and you get really intense discussion, and landed myself a solid ASYE post with a local authority having achieved a First Class pass.
There is also good support from the OU if you search it out.
In any project, you get out what you put in...the same is the case here...get to know people and they will help. The library staff, and student support team are excellent too!
The canteens are not great, and HE space is limited but these are small prices to pay. Good luck to you all.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.. i have offered a place at havering today and was a bit worried if the tutors turned up etc but your answer has put my mind at rest..
Any other tips or reading material to get would be really appreciate it..
Many thanks
Matisa
Original post by matisa hill
Hi
Thanks for your reply.. i have offered a place at havering today and was a bit worried if the tutors turned up etc but your answer has put my mind at rest..
Any other tips or reading material to get would be really appreciate it..
Many thanks
Matisa

Congratulations to you! I think any academic facility has its issues and there is a huge amount of information to get through in the first year but take each wek as it comes. The college teaches you to be self sufficient with study and this is really daunting to start with but when you figure out what learning outcomes for assignments actually mean, you can get much further with these independent study skills. It also equips you well for life beyond uni.
Get involved with the StARs programme - it sounds like extra work but it really helps develop a working relationship with staff which can help if you feel you are a bit stuck sometimes. Student services are brilliant so if its anything outside of teaching material, or you just need a bit of motivation, go and find the office - its on the ground floor to the right of the entrance. Ive had many a pep talk in there!
The library staff are brilliant also, and as soon as you get access which may even be before induction, go and have a chat, they will point out the supply of books and good first choices.
When you get your handbook, each module should be mapped out and will include a reading list. Dont buy books immediately. Find what authors/styles you like and then buy. The first year books can be in high demand because of the volume of students doind the same thing at the same time, so find what you like and buy it...they last the whole course.
Some values and ethics reading is always a good start, and have a think about what makes you 'you' and your life story so far as this is something that is important in value judgements throughout your study.
Look at websites like community care and SCIE as they have some brilliant research and news articles. You can register for Community Care news emails which keep you current.
I wish you luck, there will be challenging times, and I honestly thought more than once about giving up but Im so proud I achieved what I did.
I guess you only really learn when pushed outside your comfort zone. Most of all....enjoy :smile:
Hi
Many thanks

Hi Matisa,

I'm also studying social work at havering this year!!!!
Original post by Sarrpattison
Hi Matisa,

I'm also studying social work at havering this year!!!!

That is brilliant... i enrolled today and getting quite excited now!!
Look forward to meeting you on the 14th x
Well done and good luck. Might even meet you along the way :smile:Enjoy the journey.
Reply 12
Hie guys I have an interview on the 9th next week. I applied via clearing. How is their interview? What sort of questions did they ask for your one to one , group discussion etc..TIA
Reply 13
Hi
Many thanks

hi Matisa,

Can you enlighten me how is the interview day like, and what sort of questions they ask? Interview tomorrow, I don't feel prepared at all. Thanks
Reply 14
I know that this post is old now, but I thought I would provide an update on the last persons contribution as I feel the course has changed a lot since they were hereI have just graduated and over the time I attended at Havering I saw the course get worse. When I started there were 9/10 members of teaching staff. When I left there were two! All the members of staff that had been there for years all left within a short period of time (this in itself is a reflection of how the course is run if the staff were unhappy there). During level 5 we had a series of agency teachers who did not know what to teach and by level 6 they did not even bother taking on agency staff. Many lessons were cancelled at short notice and not rescheduledThe two teachers at the end have a very strong focus on child protection. It was clear among our group that the staff had their favourites and these students tended to get preference in lessons. It was obvious that there were some students staff did not like and staff tended to show a judgemental attitude toward them and these seemed to be based on their own value system. There were some on our group that were very anti-feminism. Instead of challenging these views the college let them qualify with these attitudes. The college was meant to have a policy that you could only have two attempts at an assignment but their favourite students were allowed to have multiple attempts which seemed unfair.Placements seemed to be a problem on this course. They employed a new placement lady when we were level 4. The college seemed to have trouble getting placements and the college did not seem to have good relationships with the nearest local authorities including Havering. When we started level 6 half the class did not have a placement for that year. Those that had been given placements tended to be their favourites and/or those that agreed to go to CAFCASS or children’s teams. The course did not show much interest in those that wanted to work in other areas of social work like adults or marginalised groups. One girl in our group was very interested in working with adults but was only given placements with children and can now not work with adults. Another couple of girls in our group had to leave the course as the college did not get them a placement for the final year and they had to finish the course at other universities. Many from our group have had difficulty getting social work jobs as local authorities seem to prefer social workers that qualified from other universities.If you want to work in child protection you may be ok in this college. If not, you may want to consider other universities. I’m glad I survived and got through

Latest