The Student Room Group

Stereotypes about Polish

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Dzien noc is wrong mate.
Dzien is day. Dzien dobry is good day.
Good night is Dobra noc (pronounced dobra nots, with the inflection in the A)
Polish pizza! lol i used to eat cart loads of that! Cant remember the name of it now!
I regularly watch them dump half a bottle of tomato ketchup on a goodfellas tho, which is just nasty!
Also I used to call my brother in law Smalec (pronouned smarlets) because he was fat :wink: Its pig fat i believe.

I learned a great deal of spoken polish but i am lost to type it!!!
However, the most useful phrase i ever learned was chodz do mnie, pragne ciebie (pronounced hoj dom nyeh, pragnuh cheb yeh)
I'll let the polish translate that little gem :wink:
Reply 41
Lilija
So it's not shocking now, is it? :wink:
It'd come as a surprise, if he was perceived as a hero by the Polish.
It all depends on the point of view.

English folk generally think of Churchill as the guy that pushed us to fight the Germans when the prime minister at the time was ready to sign us up for a Vichy govt.
Ask an English person about Churchill and Poland and they will just blink at you lol
Reply 42
johnboy113

Polish pizza! lol i used to eat cart loads of that! Cant remember the name of it now!
Also I used to call my brother in law Smalec (pronouned smarlets) because he was fat :wink: Its pig fat i believe.

I learned a great deal of spoken polish but i am lost to type it!!!
However, phonetically the most useful phrase i ever learned was chodz do mnie, pragne ciebie (pronounced hoj dom nyeh, pragnuh cheb yeh)
I'll let the polish translate that little gem :wink:

Are you thinking about zapiekanki?

Smalec=lard

Chodz do mnie= come to me
pragne ciebie= i want you
Nice one:biggrin:
Reply 43
What's the aim for this thread? I'm doing a research for my classes and I need foreigners opinions:wink: And, at the same time, I was simply curious:wink:

Our pizza is a bit different from the 'usual one' but it is still called a pizza (there is no difference in the pronunciation).

/zapiekanki are similar to pizza but they are in a different shape, they're looong/

And the thing about the soap opera... It's so true that I can't stop lauging;p
Reply 44
johnboy113
English folk generally think of Churchill as the guy that pushed us to fight the Germans when the prime minister at the time was ready to sign us up for a Vichy govt.
Ask an English person about Churchill and Poland and they will just blink at you lol

lol I've been there :wink:
My boyfirend's English and is still convinced we(Poles) have a tendency to twist History :wink:
Reply 45
byakuya
What's the aim for this thread? I'm doing a research for my classes and I need foreigners opinions:wink: And, at the same time, I was simply curious:wink:

Our pizza is different from the 'usual one' but it is still called a pizza (there is no difference in the pronunciation).

And the thing about the soap opera... It's so true that I can't stop lauging;p

They might be talking about zapiekanka- french bread pizza.
Reply 46
Every single nation somehow twist history but I don't think that we are doing it on a large scale.
Reply 47
byakuya
Every single nation somehow twist history but I don't think that we are doing it on a large scale.

The bit about the Yalta Conference is not twisted, though.
Whatever. Let's drop it.
Reply 48
Oh yes, i lived with a polish couple called Daniel and Renata, lovely people. Anyway, renatka (which is like saying dear renata) would complain sometimes about me having ladies in my room. She was VERY religious. She was going to be a Nun in Lodz but fell for Danielek (polish for Danny).
Anyway, Renatka fell pregnant and went from making the odd snide remark about me having female company to phoning up my polish ex and going to war with her and all her friends (who were still my friends) because her hormones amplified her natural polish penchant for drama.
Me and danielek went through some Piwo I can tell you! anything to blot out Renatka's constant harassment! lol
I left before the baby was born and i often wonder how the little Malpka is :smile: (Malpka pronounced Mowpka means baby monkey!)
Reply 49
I think some of the english should try sitting through the movie Katyn with a polish pregnant ex nun. not good! lol
Lilija
lol I've been there :wink:
My boyfirend's English and is still convinced we(Poles) have a tendency to twist History :wink:

Czesc! Well, my parents are still convinced 'gazpacho' is a soup, and have told my Spanish fiancée this on many occasions, which is completely wrong!
Reply 51
johnboy113
I think some of the english should try sitting through the movie Katyn with a polish pregnant ex nun. not good! lol

It wasn't long ago when it was released in the UK, was it?
I'd love my bf to see it but can't find subtitles and it can't be seen on the big screen anymore.
Reply 52
chicoinglés
Czesc! Well, my parents are still convinced 'gazpacho' is a soup, and have told my Spanish fiancée this on many occasions, which is completely wrong!

Siemka! :wink:
Erm.. never heard of gazpacho. Sounds Spanish to me.
Lilija
Siemka! :wink:
Erm.. never heard of gazpacho. Sounds Spanish to me.

It is, lol, it comes from Andalucía (south Spain) (although my fiancée is actually from Barcelona!), and can be drunk after a meal if desired (http://images.google.es/images?hl=es&source=hp&q=gazpacho&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=). By the way, does your boyfriend speak (some) Polish? My fiancée and I both speak to each other in Spanish and English (and occasionally in Catalan!)
Reply 54
Lilija
It wasn't long ago when it was released in the UK, was it?
I'd love my bf to see it but can't find subtitles and it can't be seen on the big screen anymore.

I have it on DVD but its polish with no subs. tho i could rip it to hard drive and download the subs file and put them on easy enough using media player classic.

dont need text tho, the imagery says it all, especially the executions.....jesus.....them Russians didn't play games!
Reply 55
chicoinglés
It is, lol, it comes from Andalucía (south Spain), and can be drunk after a meal if desired (http://images.google.es/images?hl=es&source=hp&q=gazpacho&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=). By the way, does your boyfriend speak (some) Polish? My fiancée and I both speak to each other in Spanish and English (and occasionally in Catalan!)

lol though you meant it was Polish. Silly me
He knows a certain number words but no, he can't speak Polish to me which really gets on my nerves :wink:
It's a win-win situation with you two. I wish I could do that :smile:

johnboy113, the imagery says a lot but there's more to it than just images. I wish he'd derive a bit more from it.
Reply 56
I'll dig it out and see if i can put subs on it. if i get it right and all in sync i'll pm you.

As for your guy not speaking any polish the first thing i learned was Daj mi buze (think i spelt that right!). easy to remember! :wink:
I learned na kolana on my own tho hehehe!!!!!
Reply 57
dmae
Any luck?:P

Sorry I've been a bit busy job hunting today. I will have a quick Google tonight.
Reply 58
Forgot to post this earlier
Kasia Cerkwicka pic.....Massive yum!

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/0/4783/z4783230X.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest