The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Wondering about doing Y166

Well today my 6th form teachers were discussing ways of improving our applications to uni and one of the ways which came up was taking a course in the Open Univeristy.

I was wondering if it would be possible to do my 3 A levels as well as doing Y166, Im not sure how much added extra pressure it would add to my studing or how long it would take overall. The school said they will fund anyone wanting to take one so that makes it easier on the financial side i guess :biggrin:

Any advice is great thanks :smile:
I have just applied for Y166, don't know if I have a place yet though.

According to their prospectus, it will take up to 20 weeks at 6-7 hours a week studying. If you have the time, I would definitely say go for it - especially if you school will pay for it. :biggrin:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Ahhh 6-7 hours sounds reasonable :biggrin: i think i can sacrafice 1h a day to study :P
Reply 3
Snapshot13
I was wondering if it would be possible to do my 3 A levels as well as doing Y166, Im not sure how much added extra pressure it would add to my studing or how long it would take overall. The school said they will fund anyone wanting to take one so that makes it easier on the financial side i guess :biggrin:

I did one of the 10 point courses while I was doing my AS-levels. It was easy enough for me, although I did pick a science course while doing maths and 3 science AS-levels. :wink:

You probably won't need quite as much time as they suggest on the website because the level 1 OU courses take into account that a number of people doing them won't have studied for many years.

I would say go for it, I thought it was fun. :biggrin:
Reply 4
I've just started doing Y166 and tbh I'd say go for it. It's pretty straight forward and as Nikki just said you probably won't need to spend the amount of time they say on the website, I know i'm not.

I guess the only problem you might find with it is that the going is a bit slow, but i guess if you're doing three A levels as well then that might not be as much of an issue :smile:
Reply 5
hi i see this was 2009 and im guessing you have done it , im starting it in june then going on to W100 - Rules, rights and justice: an introduction to law what did you think about the course?

Latest