The Student Room Group

Another "Help me with my A Level Choices" Thread

I wanted to know what other people thought of these choices:

History
History of Art
Philosophy

Then I would have to do critical thinking as a fourth AS. Are these strong subjects for top universities? I'm mostly worried about philosophy, because it seems to get mixed reviews around here, sort of like Law at A Level. I've been also thinking about RS, Geography, or French, but I seriously doubt my skills and don't think I would be comfortable taking it or even enjoy it.

I am also worried about taking only 3. Is it really okay to do this, or should I consider doing 4? I like the idea of being able to concentrate on 3 more.

Thanks.
Seems like a fair combination; although the two History topics is a bit iffy.
I've seen people who wanted to do History of Art at University do both though
If you are worried about getting into a top university, these should be fine; otherwise - change the History of Art or History to any of Geography, French or RS. They're all fine :smile:
Also, i recommend four; you can drop one for next year if you wish and if it doesn't suit you, you can still drop down to three.
Reply 2
Stricof
Seems like a fair combination; although the two History topics is a bit iffy.
I've seen people who wanted to do History of Art at University do both though
If you are worried about getting into a top university, these should be fine; otherwise - change the History of Art or History to any of Geography, French or RS. They're all fine :smile:
Also, i recommend four; you can drop one for next year if you wish and if it doesn't suit you, you can still drop down to three.

Thanks lots!

The thing is, I'm not sure if I want to study History or History of Art at university.

Do you have any thoughts about Classical Civilalization or English Lit? I was asked if I was going to do these by the teachers, but I thought English might be too much reading and I don't know much about Classic Civ.
nutterbutter
Thanks lots!

The thing is, I'm not sure if I want to study History or History of Art at university.
Consult a university about that. Drop them an email and see what they think about it :smile:

nutterbutter

Do you have any thoughts about Classical Civilalization or English Lit? I was asked if I was going to do these by the teachers, but I thought English might be too much reading and I don't know much about Classic Civ.
I did English Lit. It's not too mcuh reading; fairly less than the combined English i'd argue.
However you need to be able to articulate the book and poems and thats when knowing your stuff, reading comes to practice. besides that, you need to be prepared to redraft coursework several times to get your desired grade.
Should be fine though if you put your mind to it.

Latest